Old 04-12-2003, 03:42 PM
Monique Reed

Default Hedgehog Gourd/Osage Orange

Well, osage orange fruits (hedge apples, monkey balls, etc.) *are*
reputed to repel cockroaches, but given that the fruits rot rather
readily and ooze a hard-to-scrub-off milky latex, it's a bit of a
toss-up as to whether it's easier to deal with them or the roaches...

M. Reed
Old 04-12-2003, 04:12 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Monique Reed schreef
Well, osage orange fruits (hedge apples, monkey balls, etc.) *are*
reputed to repel cockroaches, but given that the fruits rot rather
readily and ooze a hard-to-scrub-off milky latex, it's a bit of a
toss-up as to whether it's easier to deal with them or the roaches...

M. Reed

+ + +
Now who is nitpicking?
But you are making unwarranted assumptions
The OP wanted to drive away spiders, so presumably he loves insects (which
would otherwise be eaten by spiders) and maybe roaches ...
Anyway now that we know what he means we can advise him that this effect
(whatever it may be) can also be achieved by using a distillate of the
fruit, avoiding the oozing and rotting fruit. (maybe he could fill an
ostrich eggshell with extract making both stories come true, or not)
PvR

Old 04-12-2003, 04:33 PM
Micah J. Mabelitini

Monique Reed wrote:

Well, osage orange fruits (hedge apples, monkey balls, etc.) *are*
reputed to repel cockroaches, but given that the fruits rot rather
readily and ooze a hard-to-scrub-off milky latex, it's a bit of a
toss-up as to whether it's easier to deal with them or the roaches...

The question is really whether you would want to deal with hedge apples
*and* roaches, or just the roaches by themselves. The
arthropod-repellant properties of Osage Orange seem to be mostly wishful
thinking, whereas its anthropoid-repellant properties are indisputable.

http://lancaster.unl.edu/enviro/pest...HedgeApple.htm

Micah Mabelitini

Old 05-12-2003, 12:13 AM
Gaiawar

Monique Reed wrote in message ...
Well, osage orange fruits (hedge apples, monkey balls, etc.) *are*
reputed to repel cockroaches, but given that the fruits rot rather
readily and ooze a hard-to-scrub-off milky latex, it's a bit of a
toss-up as to whether it's easier to deal with them or the roaches...

M. Reed

It's a beautiful tree. The Bois D'arc is native here in Dallas. Most
of the older homes sit on rot resistant piers of Bois D'arc that
termites can't enter. They eat the cambium only. The fresh cut wood is
beautiful in its spectrum of yellows. A neighbor friend whose knees
are disabled carves canes from the limbs that I bring to him. I
fashioned a bower from some limbs and hung a bird feeder in it. When
preferred forage is scarce the squirrels will eat the seeds. During
the past twenty-five years I have not seen a Bois D'arc that was
diseased or infested with destructive insects. For an experiment
sharpen a twenty penny nail and try to drive it into a Bios D'arc wih
a four pound hammer. Caution! Wear body armor and a face shield.

Roaches, too common here, are best controlled with boric acid.

-Gaiawar
Old 05-12-2003, 07:42 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Maybe we should use boric acid to get rid of you too, Gawkward?!!!

Would appear you have an osage orange passing for a monkey brain too!!!!

om...

Old 05-12-2003, 08:02 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

It's a beautiful tree. The Bois D'arc

+ + +
That would be "bois d'arc" or "Bois d'Arc"
+ + +

is native here in Dallas. Most
of the older homes sit on rot resistant piers of Bois D'arc that
termites can't enter. They eat the cambium only.

+ + +
That would be a first.
In the real world it is the sapwood that gets eaten.
+ + +

For an experiment
sharpen a twenty penny nail and try to drive it into a Bios D'arc wih
a four pound hammer.

+ + +
Violent type, aren't you?
+ + +

Caution! Wear body armor and a face shield.

+ + +
Yes, quite violent
PvR

Old 07-12-2003, 04:02 PM
Gaiawar

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message ...
It's a beautiful tree. The Bois D'arc

+ + +
That would be "bois d'arc" or "Bois d'Arc"

Thamks for the correction. On page 47 of Robert A. Vines' book Trees
of East Texas he hyphenates Osage-Orange.

+ + +

is native here in Dallas. Most
of the older homes sit on rot resistant piers of Bois D'arc that
termites can't enter. They eat the cambium only.

+ + +
That would be a first.
In the real world it is the sapwood that gets eaten.
+ + +

My negligence on the matter. Vines does not mention that the most
common use of the wood is for house piers.

For an experiment
sharpen a twenty penny nail and try to drive it into a Bios D'arc wih
a four pound hammer.

+ + +
Violent type, aren't you?
+ + +

Not at all unless I am bodily threatened. Bois d'Arc weighs 48 lbs per
cubic foot which means it is very dense and hard. I occasionally make
things with it, Pilot drilling is necessary since it deflects nails.

Caution! Wear body armor and a face shield.

+ + +
Yes, quite violent
PvR

Get a grip. ;-)

BTW, did you notice that Cereoid's foul mouth drew Echelon's
attention?

-Gaiawar
Old 07-12-2003, 06:13 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Gaiawar schreef
Thamks for the correction. On page 47 of Robert A. Vines' book Trees
of East Texas he hyphenates Osage-Orange.

+ + +
Fairly common practice?
+ + +

In the real world it is the sapwood that gets eaten.
+ + +

My negligence on the matter. Vines does not mention that the most
common use of the wood is for house piers.

+ + +
Non-sequitur?
+ + +

+ + +
Violent type, aren't you?
+ + +

Not at all unless I am bodily threatened. Bois d'Arc weighs 48 lbs per
cubic foot which means it is very dense and hard. I occasionally make
things with it, Pilot drilling is necessary since it deflects nails.

+ + +
You are violent enough to think that putting nails into osange-orange is not
violence. Kind of like the serial killer who saw nothing wrong in his hobby.

By the way 48 lbs/ft3 means it is halfway between the lightest and heaviest
wood in existence.
+ + +

Get a grip. ;-)

+ + +
My grip is good, it is you are hitting nails (and failing at it).

BTW, did you notice that Cereoid's foul mouth drew Echelon's
attention?

+ + +
No. I don't follow the exploits of Cereoid. Never heard of echelon on this
NG, and, no, it does not occur in osage-orange.
PvR

Old 08-12-2003, 08:12 PM
Gaiawar

[...]

You are mentally ill and ethically incompetent. Go to your doctor immediately.

-Gaiawar
Old 08-12-2003, 09:42 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Gaiawar schreef
You are mentally ill and ethically incompetent. Go to your doctor

immediately.

+ + +
If there is a disease prevalent on this NG, then it is accusing people of
being mentally ill (not sure what ethically incompetent means).

BTW I have had no success with doctors. Doctors are only interested in
people so ill that they are dependent on their doctor (there is more money
in it that way).
PvR

Old 10-12-2003, 12:42 AM
Gaiawar

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message ...
Gaiawar schreef
You are mentally ill and ethically incompetent. Go to your doctor

immediately.

+ + +
If there is a disease prevalent on this NG, then it is accusing people of
being mentally ill

MHMR MMPI What's your EQ. Mensans are narcissists.

(not sure what ethically incompetent means).

Have you heard of ww.google.com ?

Start with John Dewey. Then try John David Garcia.
Afterward you will find Eric S. Raymond helpful.
Everything we really need to know we learn in kindergarten.

BTW I have had no success with doctors. Doctors are only interested

in
people so ill that they are dependent on their doctor (there is more money
in it that way).
PvR

It is the AMA and NIH against Hippocrates, and Hippocrates will win;
that's elementary, but we're not talking physical medicine.

Love fulfills law, even Periodic Law.
Old 26-12-2003, 03:32 PM
Gene Royer

"Gaiawar" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Greetings Gaiawar. Give my love to Athena.

Roaches here in Houston are best controlled with a well-aimed house slipper.

As for the Bios D'arc phenomenon, I discovered it for myself during the Big
War (WWII) when I lived in Dallas. My neighbor's home needed minor
remodeling, and my dad foolishly agreed to help him in his *add-on* project.
A minor job evolved (there's that dreaded word) into a major one with oft
unscheduled rest periods for the tired-arm carpenters.

What are the botanical dynamics of that wood that make it so unspeakably
incorrigible?

--GenoI hope this is botany relatedRoyer

Old 26-12-2003, 09:02 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Gene Royer schreef
What are the botanical dynamics of that wood that make it so unspeakably

incorrigible?

+ + +
Surely that is pretty simple.
The wood is selected (Natural Selection) to do the job of keeping up the
branches against animal enchroachments for the longest time. If a tree is
only fast growing all the wood needs to do is lift the leafs to the sun as
high as possible, quicker than the competition, and the wood will be pretty
straight and stressfree (think balsa). If a tree is out there for the
longest time and has to stand up to whatnot it will have all the scars and
tensions of its unrecorded history.
PvR

Old 27-12-2003, 01:32 AM
Iris Cohen

What are the botanical dynamics of that wood that make it so unspeakably
incorrigible?

I am not familiar with that specific tree, but in general, the slower growing a
tree is, the denser & harder the wood. The fast growing weed trees, like poplar
and willow, have the weakest wood.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 27-12-2003, 02:45 PM
Gene Royer

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message
Gene Royer schreef
What are the botanical dynamics of that wood that make it so unspeakably

incorrigible?

+ + +
Surely that is pretty simple.
The wood is selected (Natural Selection) to do the job of keeping up the
branches against animal enchroachments for the longest time. If a tree is
only fast growing all the wood needs to do is lift the leafs to the sun as
high as possible, quicker than the competition, and the wood will be

pretty
straight and stressfree (think balsa). If a tree is out there for the
longest time and has to stand up to whatnot it will have all the scars and
tensions of its unrecorded history.
PvR

That is neither pretty nor simple, and I appreciate your indulgence.
However, Iris's direct explanation melds with my limited knowledge and
answers my question.

My understanding of botany is limited to my burpless cucumber crop each
year--urged on by the steer manure I use to encourage its success.

--Genoplanting seeds of goodness in God's garden of graceRoyer