Old 07-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Iris Cohen

Default Orchids

Ah, yes, I know all about this mess. It has been discussed and rehashed to
death in my orchid newsgroup. Mr. Kovach was also indicted, but I haven't been
able to get hold of all the newspaper articles, so I don't know exactly what
happened to him.
First of all, the main reason for the hoo-ha was that Eric Christenson sicced
the federal government on Selby to get revenge because they fired him.
Secondly, remember that all the paperwork regulations in the world, both US and
CITES, do not save species, especially plants, as long as habitat destruction
continues. All the regulations do is to encourage smugglers to collect the
orchids illegally.
Third, the rules of taxonomy are independent of politics, & I hope they stay
that way. Phragmipedium kovachii was legally named according to the
International Code of Botanical Nomenclature. I very much doubt that the
botanical authorities will change the name. Are you going to change the name of
Blighia becuse Admiral Bligh was a convicted sadist?
Bottom line: why is the US government wasting the taxpayer's money on nonsense
when our meat is inadequately inspected and the No Child Left Behind Act is
underfunded?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 07-01-2004, 06:44 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Iris Cohen schreef
Ah, yes, I know all about this mess. It has been discussed and rehashed to

death in my orchid newsgroup. Mr. Kovach was also indicted, but I haven't
been able to get hold of all the newspaper articles, so I don't know exactly
what happened to him.

First of all, the main reason for the hoo-ha was that Eric Christenson

sicced the federal government on Selby to get revenge because they fired
him. Secondly, remember that all the paperwork regulations in the world,
both US and CITES, do not save species, especially plants, as long as
habitat destruction continues. All the regulations do is to encourage
smugglers to collect the orchids illegally.

+ + +
All too true. However, doing nothing is not even less likely to achieve
anything.
+ + +

Third, the rules of taxonomy are independent of politics, & I hope they

stay that way. Phragmipedium kovachii was legally named according to the
International Code of Botanical Nomenclature. I very much doubt that the
botanical authorities will change the name. Are you going to change the name
of Blighia because Admiral Bligh was a convicted sadist?

+ + +
Yes, that is a good point. I suppose it would be possible to try and have
the name retracted, but I have never heard of such a case being brought
forward for such a reason. If it was I would not dare guess at its chance of
succes. Mere rejection would be easier, and pretty likely to succeed, if
brought by the original authors, but still unprecedented.
PvR
+ + +

Old 07-01-2004, 06:55 PM
Gene Royer

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
[...]

I am sorry that your meat is not being adequately inspected; but mine is,
and I'm gratified.

As to the "No Child Left Behind Act", "underfunded" is a hideously loose
term open to broadband interpretation. Would you care to express what you
would consider "funded" to be? You may use either dollars and cents or
percentage ratios of budgeted indices to place your assessment. --Or any
other solid index you choose, as long as it does not induce flowery images
(note botanical connection) which are themselves open to wide
interpretation.

Thank you.

--Geno

Old 07-01-2004, 07:36 PM
Gene Royer

"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
[...]

Orchids - Orchids!idx001.jpg (1/1) Internetado[_2_] Orchid Photos 0 06-11-2011 11:22 PM
Orchids - The fabulous world of Orchids report Kelly Orchids 2 31-08-2004 03:02 PM
growing orchids outside = burned orchids? Lil Orchids 5 18-07-2003 04:52 PM
super tough orchids profpam Orchids 3 28-01-2003 01:44 AM
Preserving and drying orchids. Howard Orchids 0 28-01-2003 12:54 AM