Old 24-01-2003, 08:47 PM
profpam

Default super tough orchids

Hi, Dave,

Here in the inland area of Southern California, I, too, have planted a
few standard cymbidiums right in the planter box next to the house.
They do grow and bloom but not as successfully as those that are grown
in pots. For one thing, many areas of California are subject to frost
at which time cymbidiums need to be placed under the eaves of a home and
covered with cloth; i. e. bed sheets so that the tissue is not damaged.
And, when they are in bud, near freezing temperatures will turn the
blossoms to the consistency of garbage. But, yes, they are "resilient"
and those living in southern California on the waterfront (I believe
Scotts Valley is somewhere inland and towards Sacramento????) could
probably treat their standard cymbidiums "as normal garden plants". In
as far as the Chinese cymbidiums and warm-loving species, I have found
more success growing them in my greenhouse.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html -- now better than ever!

Dave Short wrote:

Here in Scotts Valley, CA lots of people grow cymbidium using benign
neglect. Most are in pots, but I have seen verry healthy plants growing in
the ground. Nobody ever told them they couldn't do that.

"gal" wrote in message
om...
Hello,

I came back from Portugal where I saw many Cymbidium being grown
outside. They where every where most of them exposed to direct sun. We
also had a few mornings of frost. Can these orchids be treated as
normal garden plants, and how come they are so resilient - ie what is
there origin.

They are also very cheep over there costing about 10$ for a huge plant

Regards

Gal

Old 24-01-2003, 09:16 PM
molly malone

geography lesson:
scotts valley is next to santa cruz...santa cruz is part of the monterey bay
coastline.
not anywhere close to sacramento which is most definitely inland! ;-)

i grew over 100 cymbidium orchids in pots on my back deck in santa cruz for
10 years. they flourished w/ very little care other than heavily watering
every week except in summer when i'd water every couple of days.
fertilized lightly every 2 weeks and kept them very potbound in medium bark
w/ vermiculite & charcoal added to the mix. only repotted every two years &
they bloomed twice a year, like clockwork.
regarding freezing weather - we'd hang sheets & plastic tarps over all the
benches whenever a cold snap was predicted...never lost an orchid in all
those years!

Old 24-01-2003, 09:28 PM
Dave Sheehy

profpam ) wrote:
: Hi, Dave,

: Here in the inland area of Southern California, I, too, have planted a
: few standard cymbidiums right in the planter box next to the house.
: They do grow and bloom but not as successfully as those that are grown
: in pots. For one thing, many areas of California are subject to frost
: at which time cymbidiums need to be placed under the eaves of a home and
: covered with cloth; i. e. bed sheets so that the tissue is not damaged.
: And, when they are in bud, near freezing temperatures will turn the
: blossoms to the consistency of garbage. But, yes, they are "resilient"
: and those living in southern California on the waterfront (I believe
: Scotts Valley is somewhere inland and towards Sacramento????)

Scotts Valley is closer to Santa Cruz so it is more coastal. The Sacramento
area (where I live) frequently experiences freezing temperatures so I can't
imagine putting Cymbidiums in the ground here unless one has a special
micro-climate area. I lost all my Cymbidiums one year during a particularly
hard freeze even though they were under a covered porch next to the house.

Dave Sheehy

Old 28-01-2003, 02:44 AM
Andrew

Dave Short wrote:

Here in Scotts Valley, CA lots of people grow cymbidium using benign
neglect.

Same goes for Southern Australia. If the outside
temperatures are suitable most Cymbidium hybrids (and a lot
of species) are difficult to kill and if given good light
will flower profusely without much attention. They're built
like tanks. They'll survive low humidity, over and under
watering (although growth and flowering is affected) and
adapt to a variety of composts. Most of the problems with
these plants seem to result from indoor culture and low
light.
Andrew

Super Food.... Is there any thing super? [email protected] Edible Gardening 2 08-07-2007 06:36 AM
Tough scapes Bill Edible Gardening 4 13-06-2004 01:03 AM
Problem Cranking Power Washer..Tough Cord Wayne Lawns 1 16-02-2004 06:12 AM
I thought virburum`s were tough :-( Kate Morgan United Kingdom 5 21-07-2003 06:43 PM
Weigela - tough as old boots! MG United Kingdom 0 14-04-2003 09:08 PM