Old 09-01-2004, 03:05 AM
Bpjea

Default crescentia

Hi,
Could You tell me, how many species of Crescentia (Bignoniaceae) are there
(apart from C. cujete)?

Best regards,
Bpjea

Old 09-01-2004, 03:32 AM
Nick Harby

Bpjea wrote:

Hi,
Could You tell me, how many species of Crescentia (Bignoniaceae) are there
(apart from C. cujete)?

This might help.

From the International Plant Names Index website:

http://www.ipni.org/ipni/query_ipni.html

Put crescentia in the window labeled Genus name.

This is what I get.

76 records found
Bignoniaceae Crescentia Linn. (IK)
Crescentia aculeata H.B. & K. (IK)
Crescentia aculeata Kunth (GCI)
Crescentia aculeata Sessé & Moc. (GCI)
Crescentia acuminata H.B. & K. (IK)
Crescentia aggregata Miers (IK)
Crescentia alata H.B. & K. (IK)
Crescentia alata Kunth (GCI)
Crescentia amazonica Ducke (GCI)
Crescentia amazonica Ducke (IK)
Crescentia angustifolia Willd.ex Seem. (IK)
Crescentia aphylla A.Heller (GCI)
Crescentia arborea Rafin. (IK)
Crescentia auculeata Sesse & Moc. (IK)
Crescentia australis var. petiolata Meisn. (GCI)
Crescentia confertifolia Miers (IK)
Crescentia coriacea Miers (IK)
Crescentia cucurbitifera Houtt. (IK)
Crescentia cucurbitina L. (GCI)
Crescentia cucurbitina Linn. (IK)
Crescentia cucurbitina var. heterophylla Kuntze (GCI)
Crescentia cujete Billb.ex Beurl. (IK)
Crescentia cujete forma megalophylla Donn.Sm. (GCI)
Crescentia cujete L. (GCI)
Crescentia cujete Linn. (IK)
Crescentia cujete Sessé & Moc. (GCI)
Crescentia cujete var. puberula Bureau & K.Schum. (GCI)
Crescentia cujete Vell. (IK)
Crescentia cujete[alter], Sesse & Moc. (IK)
Crescentia cuneifolia Gardn. (IK)
Crescentia cuspidata Miers (GCI)
Crescentia cuspidata Miers (IK)
Crescentia depressa Goodd. (GCI)
Crescentia donnell-smithii Sprague (GCI)
Crescentia donnell-smithii Sprague (IK)
Crescentia donnell-smithii Sprague ex Donn. (IK)
Crescentia edulis Desv. (IK)
Crescentia edulis Sessé & Moc. (GCI)
Crescentia edulis Sesse & Moc. (IK)
Crescentia elongata Miers (IK)
Crescentia erecta Rydb. (GCI)
Crescentia fasciculata Miers (IK)
Crescentia insularis House (GCI)
Crescentia jasminoides Lam. (IK)
Crescentia latifolia Mill. (GCI)
Crescentia latifolia Mill. (IK)
Crescentia latifolia Rafin. (IK)
Crescentia lethifera Tuss. (IK)
Crescentia linearifolia Miers (IK)
Crescentia macrophylla Seem. (GCI)
Crescentia macrophylla Seem. (IK)
Crescentia microcarpa Bello (IK)
Crescentia minima A.Heller (GCI)
Crescentia mirabilis Ekman ex Urb. (GCI)
Crescentia mirabilis Ekman ex Urb. (IK)
Crescentia musaecarpa Zaldivar ex Heller (IK)
Crescentia nigripes Linden (IK)
Crescentia obovata Benth. (GCI)
Crescentia obovata Benth. (GCI)
Crescentia obovata Benth. (IK)
Crescentia ovata Burm.f. (IK)
Crescentia palustris Forsyth ex Seem. (IK)
Crescentia pinnata Jacq. (IK)
Crescentia plectantha Miers (IK)
Crescentia portoricensis Britton (GCI)
Crescentia portoricensis Britton (IK)
Crescentia pumila Rafin. (IK)
Crescentia regalis Linden (GCI)
Crescentia regalis Linden (IK)
Crescentia spathulata Miers (IK)
Crescentia ternata Sessé & Moc. (GCI)
Crescentia toxicaria Tuss. (IK)
Crescentia trifolia Blanco (IK)
Crescentia truxillensis var. minima (A.Heller) Munz (GCI)
Crescentia truxillensis var. vallicola (A.Heller) Munz (GCI)
Crescentia vallicola A.Heller (GCI)

Old 09-01-2004, 10:12 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Nick Harby schreef
This might help.
From the International Plant Names Index website:
Put crescentia in the window labeled Genus name.
76 records found

+ + +
Not really. As the Mini FAQ says, IPNI lists all names ever published.
According to Mabberley (2002) there are six species total in this genus.
Based on the review in the Flora Neotropica.
PvR

Old 09-01-2004, 03:13 PM
Nick Harby

P van Rijckevorsel wrote:

Nick Harby schreef
This might help.
From the International Plant Names Index website:
Put crescentia in the window labeled Genus name.
76 records found

+ + +
Not really. As the Mini FAQ says, IPNI lists all names ever published.
According to Mabberley (2002) there are six species total in this genus.
Based on the review in the Flora Neotropica.
PvR

OK. Lots of those names are synonyms. You can click on each name to find
some.

Old 09-01-2004, 04:10 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Nick Harby schreef
OK. Lots of those names are synonyms. You can click on each name to find
some.

+ + +
Clicking on them will only give the data as existed upon publication. If you
want to have more data online, try cross-referencing with TROPICOS. Or just
Google.
PvR

Old 10-01-2004, 05:12 AM
Bpjea

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message
76 records found

According to Mabberley (2002) there are six species total in this genus.

Thanks a lot
Anyway it's more than I thought. Could You just tell me if that genus is
only native to America (South and Central)?
I've got a picture of one Crescentia species and it seems it will be much
harder to identify it.
It seems to me, because You could be more lucky in giving a right name of
it.
I'll publish the picture and I'll tell You the URL to it.
I have a few more pictures (of some other species) from Peru, and I have no
idea what they're showing.

Thx,
Bpjea

Old 10-01-2004, 08:13 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

According to Mabberley (2002) there are six species total in this genus.

Bpjea (usun 'x' - z powodu spamu) schreef
Thanks a lot
Anyway it's more than I thought. Could You just tell me if that genus is
only native to America (South and Central)?

+ + +
Yes, only the Neotropics. Puerto Rico has a species and so does the Amazon
+ + +

I've got a picture of one Crescentia species and it seems it will be much

harder to identify it. It seems to me, because You could be more lucky in
giving a right name of it. I'll publish the picture and I'll tell You the
URL to it. I have a few more pictures (of some other species) from Peru, and
I have no idea what they're showing.

+ + +
That might be a nice idea, although I am not really very good at identifying
plants. But Mel seems to be, and perhaps somebody else will pitch in.
PvR

Old 13-01-2004, 08:02 AM
Bpjea

"Bpjea" (usun 'x' - z powodu spamu) wrote in message

I'll publish the picture and I'll tell You the URL to it.

As I've said here come the pictures:

Crescentia species (Iquitos, Peru):
http://www.geocities.com/drzewa98/zd...escentia01.jpg

And now some unknown species:

Please tell me the IDs (at least a genus name)
1.) Origin: Pisco, Peru
http://www.geocities.com/drzewa98/zdjecia/no_id01.jpg

2.) Origin: Iquitos, Peru
http://www.geocities.com/drzewa98/zdjecia/no_id02.jpg

3.) Origin: Iquitos, Peru; I ask for the trunk, unfortunately I don't have
any other photo of that tree - I know that guessing having only a trunk
picture is hard (but not for an expert

http://www.geocities.com/drzewa98/zdjecia/no_id03.jpg

4.) Origin: Iquitos, Peru;

http://www.geocities.com/drzewa98/zdjecia/no_id04.jpg

5.) Origin: Iquitos, Peru; what's that huge tree? Ficus species? I doubt
about it.

http://www.geocities.com/drzewa98/zdjecia/no_id05.jpg

6.) Origin: Iquitos, Peru; a young tree (may be of the same species that
no.5) or possibly an aerial root (?)
It wasn't me who had taken these pictures, otherwise I could tell You
something more about them.

http://www.geocities.com/drzewa98/zdjecia/no_id06.jpg

7.) Origin: Iquitos, Peru; I ask for these palms

http://www.geocities.com/drzewa98/zdjecia/no_id07.jpg

8.) Origin: Iquitos, Peru; a palm

http://www.geocities.com/drzewa98/zdjecia/no_id08.jpg

9.) Origin: Iquitos, Peru; a climber (?) possibly (the fruits I mean)

http://www.geocities.com/drzewa98/zdjecia/no_id09.jpg

Any ideas are welcome

Best regards,
Bpjea

Old 13-01-2004, 12:32 PM
rjb

"Bpjea" (usun 'x' - z powodu spamu) wrote in message
"Bpjea" (usun 'x' - z powodu spamu) wrote in message

I'll publish the picture and I'll tell You the URL to it.

As I've said here come the pictures:

snip

6.) Origin: Iquitos, Peru; a young tree (may be of the same species that
no.5) or possibly an aerial root (?)
It wasn't me who had taken these pictures, otherwise I could tell You
something more about them.

http://www.geocities.com/drzewa98/zdjecia/no_id06.jpg

snip
Any ideas are welcome

Best regards,
Bpjea

06 is an easy one. Almost certainly the stilt roots at the base of a young
palm Socratea (probably exorrhiza but I've seen a lot of S. salaszarii near
Iquitos also.)

Rick

Old 14-01-2004, 08:38 AM
Bpjea

"rjb" wrote in message

[...]Almost certainly the stilt roots at the base of a young
palm Socratea [...]

Thank You I'll check that one.
I'm waiting for some info concerning the rest of pictures.

Greetings,
Bpjea

Old 16-01-2004, 10:32 AM
Bpjea

"rjb" wrote in message

06 is an easy one. Almost certainly the stilt roots at the base of a

young
palm Socratea (probably exorrhiza but I've seen a lot of S. salaszarii

near
Iquitos also.)

It seems You were right. It looks like Socratea exorrhiza to me.
I'd be glad to see some info about the other pictures I've provided.

Greetings,
Bpjea

Old 16-01-2004, 02:42 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Bpjea (usun 'x' - z powodu spamu) schreef
Crescentia species (Iquitos, Peru):
http://www.geocities.com/drzewa98/zd...escentia01.jpg

+ + +
I looked in the Flora Neotropica and there is only one species of Crescentia
native to Peru: Crescentia amazonica. Of course Crescentia cujete is widely
naturalized. The difference should be in the size of the fruits: if these
are smaller than 8 cm it is C. amazonica; if biggere than 8 cm it is C.
cujete.
PvR

Old 16-01-2004, 09:10 PM
rjb

"rjb" wrote in message

06 is an easy one. Almost certainly the stilt roots at the base of a

young
palm Socratea (probably exorrhiza but I've seen a lot of S. salaszarii

near
Iquitos also.)

It seems You were right. It looks like Socratea exorrhiza to me.
I'd be glad to see some info about the other pictures I've provided.

Greetings,
Bpjea

I have quite an interest in palms and have studied them intensely before
each trip to Iquitos. Still there are hundreds of species in the area and
distinguishing them is tricky even if you are actually there. Your picture
# 04 looks like the fruit cluster of some Attalea palm. Many of them do not
have pendulous inflorescence, but some do. Perhaps Attalea tessmannii?
Your picture 7 is a stand of palms too far away for me to recognize. Maybe
an Oenocarpus or Euterpe. Can't really say anything about the palm in pic
8. My profession is plasma-physics and my hobby is beetles. Plants are
just a mild interest. I'm surprised you don't get more response from real
plant people.
Rick