Old 23-05-2004, 06:02 AM
Jack Schmidling

Default Mushroom ID

First of all, is there no mycology group on usnet? I could have sworn there
was a rather active one.

Anyway, I need help identifying a fungus.

Growing at the base of an old apple tree are what look like white stones,
mostly under the soil with just a bit sticking out. Digging around them,
them are perfectly round balls with a single root/stem. They are mostly
white with a purple tinge on the lower half. Cut in half, they have a very
interesting cross section looking much like a picture of a stink horn egg in
one of my books.

So, I suspect it is one but I have been watching them for over a week now
and there is not the slightest change in them. I would have expected the
stink horn to have emerged by now.

It is growing in the same place that morels were found last year but no
morels this year.

Any ideas?

js

--