Old 01-07-2004, 08:04 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default horseradish identification

There sits a plant in a old rose garden that has tulips. It has huge
leaves and being in an old garden I was expecting it to flower last year
as some sort of flowering plant that I was unfamilar with. It never
flowered last year and so I cut it to the ground. It is up this year and
was watching Garden Line when horseradish was mentioned and it
immediately rung a chord that maybe I have horseradish over there. Why
would anyone plant horseradish into a rose and tulip bed?

But first I need to positively identify whether this is horseradish.
Anyone have a positive I-D method?

Old 01-07-2004, 08:25 AM
Christopher Green

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 02:04:48 -0500, Archimedes Plutonium
wrote:

There sits a plant in a old rose garden that has tulips. It has huge
leaves and being in an old garden I was expecting it to flower last year
as some sort of flowering plant that I was unfamilar with. It never
flowered last year and so I cut it to the ground. It is up this year and
was watching Garden Line when horseradish was mentioned and it
immediately rung a chord that maybe I have horseradish over there. Why
would anyone plant horseradish into a rose and tulip bed?

But first I need to positively identify whether this is horseradish.
Anyone have a positive I-D method?

Horseradish is distinctive, coarse and weedy looking. (Bohemian
horseradish is a little more civilized.) It forms large roots that
will be prominent if you dig one. If you scrape a bit off the root, it
will smell strongly of horseradish. Fresh horseradish is very pungent
and a great improvement over canned, if you like it.

Good pictures on Gernot Katzer's Spice Pages at
http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katz...?Armo_rus.html

Where it is adapted, it can be persistent and invasive, thus
horseradish may well persist in a garden where it was grown years ago.

--
Chris Green

Horseradish Tree Gae Xavier Texas 18 09-10-2005 08:45 AM
Horseradish again karen United Kingdom 2 07-05-2003 08:56 PM
Help, re horseradish karen United Kingdom 7 06-05-2003 11:20 PM
Horseradish growing ED ROGERS United Kingdom 3 03-05-2003 05:20 AM
Horseradish... Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot United Kingdom 8 03-03-2003 11:42 PM