Old 28-07-2004, 09:56 PM
Bellatrix

Default Pin Cushion Plant ID

Pictures:
http://www.bloomrite.com/images/product/prd03.jpg
http://www.bloomrite.com/images/product/prd302.jpg

I recently bought a cute little "Pin Cushion" plant from Smith's
Grocery Store.

To get some care instructions for my plant and to find out more, I
visited the growers website:
http://www.bloomrite.com/index_flash.html

I called customer service and asked for the scientific name of the
plant. They told me my plant had a scientific name but that it was a
secret! The lady said that all she could tell me was that it was a
kind of "Hawaiian Ground Cover."

I was hoping that you would be so kind as to identify my plant with a
scientific name and tell me what I could do to care for it.

Thanks in advance,

Ashley
Old 28-07-2004, 11:14 PM
Cereus-validus

Nertera granadensis

Call "customer service" back and tell them all about the plant.

http://green.reinyday.com/housep/nertera.html

http://www.plantfacts.com/Family/Rub...nadensis.shtml

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...1/ai_106141753

http://www.scs.leeds.ac.uk/cgi-bin/p...sis&CAN=LATIND

om...

Old 28-07-2004, 11:14 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Bellatrix
writes
Pictures:
http://www.bloomrite.com/images/product/prd03.jpg
http://www.bloomrite.com/images/product/prd302.jpg

I recently bought a cute little "Pin Cushion" plant from Smith's
Grocery Store.

To get some care instructions for my plant and to find out more, I
visited the growers website:
http://www.bloomrite.com/index_flash.html

I called customer service and asked for the scientific name of the
plant. They told me my plant had a scientific name but that it was a
secret! The lady said that all she could tell me was that it was a
kind of "Hawaiian Ground Cover."

I was hoping that you would be so kind as to identify my plant with a
scientific name and tell me what I could do to care for it.

Thanks in advance,

Ashley

Nertera; I wouldn't swear to the species, but the following pages
contains an image of Nertera granadensis (which is native to Hawaii)
which looks a decent match.

http://green.reinyday.com/housep/nertera.html

You should be able to find cultivation instructions given the name.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 29-07-2004, 02:14 AM
Randy Jenkins

Ashley,
Can't tell much from the pictures, but the common name of "scabiosa" is the
pin cushion flower. However, it does NOT look like the flower in the
pictures and it is an outdoor plant generally.

Randy

Old 29-07-2004, 03:34 AM
Iris Cohen

They told me my plant had a scientific name but that it was a secret! The
lady said that all she could tell me was that it was a kind of "Hawaiian Ground
Cover."

Nurserymen's Exchange has a terrible reputation. What they told you was
hogwash. sorry, your photo is not close enough or in focus to really tell what
you have.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."