Old 14-10-2004, 11:53 PM
Methuselah Jones

Default Plant ID, Please

In early 2002, I had a packet of mixed pepper seeds. I planted several,
mainly out of curiosity. I was rewarded with a nice jalapeno plant which
has given me several peppers.

But another plant grew up with it, that I have no idea what it is. For
two and a half years, it did nothing but get taller and broader -- never
so much as a blossom. Around last August I started giving the plants more
water, and suddenly it burst out in tiny white blossoms. I don't know if
this was the result of the increased water, or just coincident. The
blossoms developed into tiny, round fruits, which never got very large,
and are now beginning to ripen.

Anyone know what this plant is?

http://www.holotech.net/10140002.JPG

--
Methuselah
"I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the
Old 15-10-2004, 02:10 AM
Sean Houtman

Methuselah Jones wrote in
. 97.132:

In early 2002, I had a packet of mixed pepper seeds. I planted
several, mainly out of curiosity. I was rewarded with a nice
jalapeno plant which has given me several peppers.

But another plant grew up with it, that I have no idea what it is.
For two and a half years, it did nothing but get taller and
broader -- never so much as a blossom. Around last August I
started giving the plants more water, and suddenly it burst out in
tiny white blossoms. I don't know if this was the result of the
increased water, or just coincident. The blossoms developed into
tiny, round fruits, which never got very large, and are now
beginning to ripen.

Anyone know what this plant is?

http://www.holotech.net/10140002.JPG

Looks like a bird pepper, one of the wild chiles. This page says it
gets about 1 foot tall, but don't be surprised to see it 4 times
that high.

http://home.att.net/~larvalbugrex/birdpepper.html

Sean

Old 15-10-2004, 11:47 AM
Methuselah Jones

Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of Sean
Houtman of sci.bio.botany make plain:

Methuselah Jones wrote in
. 97.132:

But another plant grew up with it, that I have no idea what it is.
For two and a half years, it did nothing but get taller and
broader -- never so much as a blossom. Around last August I
started giving the plants more water, and suddenly it burst out in
tiny white blossoms. I don't know if this was the result of the
increased water, or just coincident. The blossoms developed into
tiny, round fruits, which never got very large, and are now
beginning to ripen.

Anyone know what this plant is?

http://www.holotech.net/10140002.JPG

Looks like a bird pepper, one of the wild chiles. This page says it
gets about 1 foot tall, but don't be surprised to see it 4 times
that high.

That does indeed look like it. Thanks! The one I have is over 3 feet
tall. It isn't getting much taller, but is continuing to spread out, with
some very long branches.

Apparently the peppers are quite hot. I'm looking forward to trying some!

--
Methuselah
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Old 16-10-2004, 04:00 AM
MMMavocado

They're called chilipetins in Texas; Chiltepin in parts of Mexico. I love hot
peppers, and once was about to speak at a rose growers' conference, and the
host, knowing my love for peppers, gave me one of these. I crunched it down as
I walked to the podium. From among the tears and sweating face, I whispered
into the microphone (lost my voice) "Mike has just tried to kill me!" It
brought the house down. I recovered quickly. If you like hot peppers, this
kind is quite good. I much prefer them to the "Florida Grove Peppers" which
are long and pointy, and are also known as bird peppers. It seems that all of
the tiny-fruited types get called bird peppers.