Old 15-11-2004, 08:16 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default The construction of a tree saver from rabbits relating to tokamaks

What a beautiful engineering design I came up with today. This is the
time of year, just before first snowfall that I yearly put on plastic
tubing to save young trees from rabbit damage over the winter. I am
already beginning to see some damage even before snow covers the grass
and where rabbits then start stripping the bark off bushes and trees.

So what I do is get 6" diameter black plastic drain piping and use a
very sharp high quality knife to cut it. I use the same piping year
after year. But when I first began to use it I cut a line down the
outside and tried to fit the pipe gently onto the trunk by separating
enough of the slice. Trouble here was that it is so tough that it often
cuts into the trunk itself and damages the trunk of the tree. So then I
sliced the pipe vertically twice so that I have 2 pieces of piping that
I then tie together with cord but I was not happy with that solution
because there was cord to deal with and half sections of pipe. I wanted
an answer as to the minimum cut of the tree guard pipe to where I did
not need a cord to tie two pieces together.

The answer I found was that I make one complete vertical cut and a
second vertical cut 180 degrees opposite the first vertical cut. Only
the second vertical cut is not complete leaving two severed pieces.
Instead the second vertical cut starts in the center and is 2/3 of the
distance of a complete cut. So what I have remaining is one piece of
plastic pipe with a full vertical cut and a 2/3 cut on the opposite side
which leaves the ends in tact, ie, the uncut 1/3 is the top end and
bottom end of the second cut. The result is a plastic pipe flexible
enough for my hands to separate apart the plastic to get it around the
trunck without harming the trunck and so that I have no need for a
string to tie the pipe together because the cuts were minimum.

This example is how I work and think throughout my life in that I seek
solutions to problems, not just that I take any old solution but that I
seek the best solution which involves science. So I solved this problem
via science.

But the important thing about this is that it relates to other science
and in this case it relates to a old math proof that 2/3 of the surface
area and 2/3 of the volume is the Maximum when enclosing cylinder in
sphere and vice versa.

Now I realize that flexing the plastic to fit it around a tree trunck is
a variable and not a fixed parameter. So with that in mind I proceed
with the following analysis.

Analysis: First I need to prove that 2 cuts of one complete vertical cut
and a second cut that is 2/3 from the middle is the Minimum cuts. Of
course I have to factor in the flex of plastic and the size of the
trunck compared to the pipe size. But once factored in-- is there a
demand that the second cut be 2/3 as Minimum?
And if that is true, I would need to see whether this pipe cutting is
related to cylinder enclosing sphere with its famous number of 2/3. In
other words, the two operations of enclosing and pipe fitting are
related. And lastly but most importantly is the controlled fusion and
tokamaks and JET and ITER. How is JET related to guarding a tree trunck
from rabbit eating? If we consider a tokamak as a tree trunck and the
pipe as a torus and the control of the plasma is the fitting of the pipe
around the tree trunck. So what is the minimum that is Uncontrollable?
It is the 2/3 second cut that is the minimum uncontrollable.

I posted this to sci.math because there are some bright mathematicians
that can see how pipe fitting is similar exercise to that of sphere
enclosing of cylinder and how the number 2/3 is the key number in both
exercises.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Old 18-11-2004, 06:08 AM
Archimedes Plutonium

Mon, 15 Nov 2004 02:16:38 -0600 Archimedes Plutonium wrote:
(most snipped)

So what I do is get 6" diameter black plastic drain piping and use a
very sharp high quality knife to cut it. I use the same piping year
after year. But when I first began to use it I cut a line down the

I am not very good at estimating a distance length without measuring it
with a meter stick. There are some that can look at a piece of board or
pipe and tell instantly whether it is 4" or 6". I am not.

I made a mistake in that the plastic pipe I am using is 4" diameter. When I
make a mistake like this I go back and change it in my other posts with the
symbol of (sic) after making the change. So it would look like this in my
old post--
4" (sic). I used to use brackets instead of paranthesis but found out that
some computer protocol looks at brackets as a command rather than plain
text and so have gone from brackets to paranthesis. I used to have trouble
with the reverse symbol of in that the protocol on websites does not
treat that symbol as plain text.