Old 18-07-2003, 11:29 PM
DonKcR

Default my small pond is out of control

Hi, Well I've never been on a chat line in my life. My son is the computer
guy so he said here is a couple of chat lines go for it.
My pond is new about 2 months old, aprox. 800 gallons with 10 wonderful
Koi's. The fish are from 2'' to all of 6''. My pond has went through the
green stage with the water testing great for fish, I just couldn't see

them.
But now we are in the high nitrite stage. I feel helpless but I keep in
touch with the man that made my filter system and he said this is normal.

guess it takes time and lots of water changes and salt if you know what I
mean. I love watching my fish they all have names and I would hate to lose

single one. So I'm proubly the biggest pain in the rear that Quan and his
wife Lisa have ever met that's my pond experts. I was so new at the pond
making that I didn't know how much knowledge it takes to raise a small
family of Koi. But let me tell you I've learned so much from this

adventure.
I might not of taken this big of a project on if I had any idea of the
endeavor. But when I watch them swimming and listen to the water falls it

is
all worth it. Write to me and tell me your stories. Kc

Old 19-07-2003, 05:22 AM
Judy

From what I've been told, you need at least (minimum) of 100 gallons
per Koi. Depending on your filter system, you might be overloading
your pond. If I were you I would have no more than three Koi in that
size pond. Do you have plants? Thats very important. My first pond was
80 gallons with three Koi. They made it but not until I went larger
with the size of my pond and also added a veggie filter, big help. You
may be hooked. Go bigger. Good luck

Old 19-07-2003, 04:52 PM
REBEL JOE

Way too many koi for you size pond. For your first koi you need 1,000
gal and 100 gal for everyone after that.

http://community.webtv.net/rebeljoe/POND

Old 20-07-2003, 11:17 PM
Chad

Welcome to ponding and the ponding newsgroup. You will probably get
quite a few posts from people telling you that your pond is
overstocked. I find that everywhere you go you will hear a differen't
answer. Some will be nicer than others also . From this
newsgroup...you've heard it already.

Now my opinion, from my experience. I have kept 4 - 5 koi in a 220
gallon for years without trouble. The oldest koi I have had made it
to his 16th summer. What I have learned from personal experience is
that less koi per gallon and overall having more gallons to begin with
make keeping the pond easier. There is less filter cleaning, less
waterchanges and much less trouble with alage. Your pond is descent
size for your fish for now... keep the filter clean, keep lots of
plants, pray to the pond god... and have patience when you deal with
water condition fluctuations that can come with having more fish. My
biggest was always algae.

FYI, Currently, I hava a 220 gallon pond for new fish 2 years old
and I have a 1250 - 1350 gallon pond for my other koi (these past few
weeks near 100 degrees evaporate a ton of water). BTW, I currently
hav 11 koi-- bought some more babies yesterday... they looked at me
with the big eyes they have, I couldn't resist.

You may already know that koi grow fast. The 4 babies I bought about
2 months ago and they have outgrown my feeder goldfish that are 3
years old. If yours get too big... you just have justification for a
larger pond

Good luck.

Old 20-07-2003, 11:33 PM
john rutz

Chad wrote:
Welcome to ponding and the ponding newsgroup. You will probably get
quite a few posts from people telling you that your pond is
overstocked. I find that everywhere you go you will hear a differen't
answer. Some will be nicer than others also . From this
newsgroup...you've heard it already.

Now my opinion, from my experience. I have kept 4 - 5 koi in a 220
gallon for years without trouble. The oldest koi I have had made it
to his 16th summer.

Im curious how big was this 16 year old Koi n a 220 galon pond ????????

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

never miss a good oportunity to shut up

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 21-07-2003, 01:52 PM
Chad

He was around 25-26 inches in length and pretty round at the belly. I
could hold his food with 3 fingers & my thumb and he had no problem
trying to take my fingers with his food. The pond he was in is kidney
shaped and at the surface is 6.5 ft in length and 3 ft width at one
end, 4ft at the other. Since the pond was almost full sun I had setup
a flagstone shelf in the 3ft wide end that he could get shade and hide
under. The other fish in the pond (1 smaller koi & comets) used him
for shade

Unfortunately, I didn't get a good digital camera until this year...
so I don't have any pictures readily available. My family just made
me one of those embarassing poster/picture boards for my 30th b-day
and they gave found a bunch of photo's of this old'er' pond. I will
try to find a good picture and scan & post it.
Old 21-07-2003, 09:35 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Well said, Chad.

Most of us start with small koi and if we can't build another pond, we
reduce the herd as they grow. You have time to learn all about that.... at
least a month. ;o) kidding, 2 months

Do keep it in mind though come next year, by then you'll know who your
favorites are. Watch your water quality as it will be your first indicator
of trouble.

Btw, it was ponding that got me into computering also. ~ jan )

On 20 Jul 2003 14:46:31 -0700, (Chad) wrote:

[...]

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 28-07-2003, 03:12 AM
DonKcR

Jan, No more ponds this one was a big endeavor for a 56 year old, who takes
care of her mother (90) and grand daughter (10). I've learned so much from
allot of wonderful people. Imp hoping that my pond will catch up with my
amount of fish. If not I will try to part with a couple, hard thing to do
attached to all of them. But the health of the fish is my main concern. I
test the water every day. Kc

Old 28-07-2003, 11:23 PM
Anne Lurie

Kc,

I agree -- you already have your hands full taking care of people. I'm
about your age (57 in a week or so), and I'd be hard-pressed to take care of
a parent OR a grandchild, let alone both.

The folks here at rec.ponds are a wonderful resource, IMHO, and I feel
certain that someone here will be able to answer your questions -- and for
every knowledgable poster with an answer, there are probably 10 "listeners"
like me.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Anne Lurie
Raleigh, NC

Old 31-07-2003, 07:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 19:12:46 -0700, "DonKcR" wrote:

Jan, No more ponds this one was a big endeavor for a 56 year old, who takes
care of her mother (90) and grand daughter (10). I've learned so much from
allot of wonderful people. Imp hoping that my pond will catch up with my
amount of fish. If not I will try to part with a couple, hard thing to do
attached to all of them. But the health of the fish is my main concern. I
test the water every day. Kc

10 yo Gdaughter? Hmmm, why I can't think of anything better than having her
(and friends) dig another pond. ;o) ~ jan