Old 25-08-2003, 07:12 AM
Karen Mullen

Default PH question

I have a question regarding the Master Test Kit by Aquarium Phamaceuticals.

It has 2 Ph tests, one for freshwater and one for high Ph. If I test my
water using both tests I get different readings and I don't understand why. If
I use the freshwater test it reads 7.4, but when I do the High ph it reads 8.4
all the time anytime of the day. I believe my Ph is 7.4 because I add baking
soda to raise the KH, but why wouldn't the high range test show 7.4 also, it's
part of the color code. Anyone know why and what my Ph really is?

TIA
Karen
Zone 5
Ashland, OH
http://hometown.aol.com/kmam1/MyPond/MyPond.html
My Art Studio at
http://members.aol.com/kmmstudios/K....M.Studios.html
for email remove the extra extention

Old 01-09-2003, 10:02 PM
IAN GARDNER

"Karen Mullen" wrote in message
I have a question regarding the Master Test Kit by Aquarium

Phamaceuticals.

It has 2 Ph tests, one for freshwater and one for high Ph. If I test my
water using both tests I get different readings and I don't understand

why. If
I use the freshwater test it reads 7.4, but when I do the High ph it reads

8.4
all the time anytime of the day. I believe my Ph is 7.4 because I add

baking
soda to raise the KH, but why wouldn't the high range test show 7.4 also,

it's
part of the color code. Anyone know why and what my Ph really is?

Hello Karen,
I recon it`s 7.4 as well. Maybe the high ph kit is more acurate at high
ph`s. Does the scale go down to 7.4 on the colour chart? or does it stop at
say 8.0.
A high ph would be for people who live on chalk pits!

I would still go for 7.4 through. You could try a different brand of kit to
verify?

--
IAN. P. GARDNER
ISLE OF WIGHT

Old 02-09-2003, 08:02 AM
Karen Mullen

In article , "IAN GARDNER"
writes:

I recon it`s 7.4 as well. Maybe the high ph kit is more acurate at high
ph`s. Does the scale go down to 7.4 on the colour chart? or does it stop at
say 8.

Ian,

Both the freshwater and the high kits overlap, that's why I'm not sure. The
freshwater stops and 7.6 and the high starts at 7.2, so theoretically I should
get the same reading on both kits. I've also been told that because I use
baking soda to stablize the Ph, the Ph is most likely 8.4 as that's where
baking soda settles the Ph out at. But like I said, it's stable and steady no
matter what time of day I read it, it comes out the same. Mission
accomplished.

Old 05-09-2003, 07:04 PM
IAN GARDNER

writes:

I recon it`s 7.4 as well. Maybe the high ph kit is more acurate at high
ph`s. Does the scale go down to 7.4 on the colour chart? or does it stop

at
say 8.

Ian,

Both the freshwater and the high kits overlap, that's why I'm not sure.

The
freshwater stops and 7.6 and the high starts at 7.2, so theoretically I

should
get the same reading on both kits. I've also been told that because I use
baking soda to stablize the Ph, the Ph is most likely 8.4 as that's where
baking soda settles the Ph out at. But like I said, it's stable and

steady no
matter what time of day I read it, it comes out the same. Mission
accomplished.

Why do you need the Ph so high. I exspect mine would be the oppersite
because of all the leaves. I know goldfish like hard water but do you or any
one else know the correct Ph for ponds. In the wilds I would think it would
be lower more like 7.1 or 6.4 ish?

Old 07-09-2003, 12:22 AM
Jerrispond

or any
one else know the correct Ph for ponds. In the wilds I would think it would
be lower more like 7.1 or 6.4 ish?

carp ( gold fish and koi) prefer ph at 7.5 to 8.5 the ph of natural water
depends on what kind of rock and dirt it is moving thru Jerri