Old 10-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Nicole Thompson

Default Too cold for bubblers?

I live in Central PA - current temp - 5 degrees F - nighttime temps are
below zero.

My question is, I have a *raised* pond made of cinderblock (was here when we
moved in) and the single goldfish that was here when we moved in survived
the winter last year just fine w/out any "assistance" - the pond was already
frozen when we moved in, so we were delighted when we saw him alive and well
in the spring.

We added some friends (I've posted here in the past about that) and for the
winter, I bought bubbler stones - two long ones - which were working pretty
well until this really cold snap. My concern is that the water surrounding
the bubblers will freeze and burn up the pump (which is a cheap small one,
but works well) - and my worst fear is it'll catch on fire or something -
since I have the pump inside the house (figuring the warm house air going
into the bubblers wouldn't be a bad thing).

So, my question is, should I unplug it altogether until warmer weather or
just let it keep going? The pond looks frozen solid and the pump doesn't
*sound* much louder than it did......but I'm still concerned. I thought of
adding a de-icer, but I have no idea if that would really help or not -
we're talking about a 10' x 10' (roughly) water area that's 18" deep. Am I
being overly-concerned about the fish since the one *did* survive w/out
anything last year?

Thanks,
Nicole

Old 11-01-2004, 03:12 PM
Phil L

:
[...]

unplug the bubbler, you dont need it for one or two fish in a pond that
size.
fish dont use much oxygen at this time of year, but you may need it
switching back on in the height of summer, but even then it's not imperative
with only a few fish in so much water.....
:
: So, my question is, should I unplug it altogether until warmer
: weather or just let it keep going? The pond looks frozen solid and
: the pump doesn't *sound* much louder than it did......but I'm still
: concerned. I thought of adding a de-icer,
: but I have no idea if that
: would really help or not - we're talking about a 10' x 10' (roughly)
: water area that's 18" deep. Am I being overly-concerned about the
: fish since the one *did* survive w/out anything last year?
:
Fish arent like people, they adjust their body temperatures to the
surrounding water and no amount of ice can harm them *unless* the pond
freezes solid IE all the way to the bottom - if theres only half of it
frozen, 9inches, then the fish will live happily underneath it until it
thaws out again.
If the entire pond does freeze all the way down, you'll have to excavate a
deeper one, maybe three feet deep, or if this is too costly then a pond
heater to work through the winter to stop it feezing completely will have to
be used.

NEVER try to break the ice on a fish pond, you will kill the fish - the
pressure of the ice pushing down into the water will kill them or severely
damage their internal organs.

Old 11-01-2004, 03:32 PM
Phil L

Nicole Thompson wrote:
: I live in Central PA - current temp - 5 degrees F - nighttime temps
: are below zero.

Are you sure about these temperatures?
5deg F is minus fifteen degrees C !!

Old 12-01-2004, 12:05 AM
Nicole Thompson

Yes I'm sure - unfortunately - the high on Friday was 5 degrees F.

Today it got up to 18.....Monday and Tuesday it'll be in the 30's (will feel
like a heatwave comparatively), then the temps will plummet again on
Wednesday for the foreseeable future - lows in the negative digits again.

Nicole - who *hates* winter (would like it much better if it only lasted
say.....*two* months!)

Old 13-01-2004, 10:12 PM
Rodney Pont

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 17:30:18 -0500, Nicole Thompson wrote:

We added some friends (I've posted here in the past about that) and for the
winter, I bought bubbler stones - two long ones - which were working pretty
well until this really cold snap. My concern is that the water surrounding
the bubblers will freeze and burn up the pump (which is a cheap small one,
but works well) - and my worst fear is it'll catch on fire or something -
since I have the pump inside the house (figuring the warm house air going
into the bubblers wouldn't be a bad thing).

I'd just like to add to everyone comments that the moisture in the
house air will condense and freeze in the cold airline once it goes
outside, using the warm house air will block your air line so it's not
a good thing I'm afraid :-)

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail ngps07 (at) infohit (dot) fsnet (dot) co (dot) uk

Old 15-01-2004, 07:32 AM
D Kat

I keep a bubbler going in my pond all winter. It keeps the water from
freezing over where it bubbles up. The issue isn't oxygen so much as
keeping a hole open in the pond for gas from decomposing waste matter to
escape. I'm on Long Island and we have had the same temps.
DKat