Old 09-05-2004, 06:04 PM
WilsonKKW

Default Turtles in my pond????

I have a pond 8'x11' with waterfall, have 5 4'' Koi 4 4'' comets(gold fish)
can I add Turtles?( Red ear painted) there is an area that I can seperate the
turtles from the fish i needed
Old 09-05-2004, 10:05 PM
George

"WilsonKKW" wrote in message
I have a pond 8'x11' with waterfall, have 5 4'' Koi 4 4'' comets(gold fish)
can I add Turtles?( Red ear painted) there is an area that I can seperate the
turtles from the fish i needed

As long as you keep them separated, go for it.

Old 09-05-2004, 11:05 PM
KerplunKuK

"WilsonKKW" wrote in message
I have a pond 8'x11' with waterfall, have 5 4'' Koi 4 4'' comets(gold

fish)
can I add Turtles?( Red ear painted) there is an area that I can seperate

the
turtles from the fish i needed

Depends on alot. Can you keep the turtles in the area required? They will
do everything they can to get away. In that area can you provide basking
areas? Can you protect them from other wild animals? Do you have areas for
the fish to hide, should the turtles reach them? Is your filter system
adequate? Turtles provide copious amounts of waste. Feel free to email me
with any questions.
--
Victoria Concordia Crescit

Old 09-05-2004, 11:05 PM
WilsonKKW

As long as you keep them separated, go for it.

great, thanks. good t know since I paid for them already. LOL
Old 10-05-2004, 07:26 PM
WilsonKKW

WOW, do I have tons of questions. you gave me lots to think about too.
now I worry that they will surely need warmth in winter, I am in Maryland,
cold winters. I can see myself having to donate them to a good home,money lost
then,

Old 10-05-2004, 08:12 PM
George

"WilsonKKW" wrote in message
WOW, do I have tons of questions. you gave me lots to think about too.
now I worry that they will surely need warmth in winter, I am in Maryland,
cold winters. I can see myself having to donate them to a good home,money lost
then,

Unless you plan on converting them into winter ice sculptures, I think you had
been plan ahead for winter, no doubt about it. If they are a temperate species,
they may survive in the pond as long as it is deep, and you put a de-icer in it.
But If I were you, I'd plan on giving them shelter. I hope you are not married!

Old 10-05-2004, 08:12 PM
WilsonKKW

I hope you are not married!

why? you think he going to make me live with the turtles?
Old 10-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Don

I had some red eared sliders and they are amazing climbers! I saw them
regularly climb up a rock at an 80 degree incline. That's how they would
get out of the pool, but they would usually find their way back after a day
or two.

--
Don

Old 10-05-2004, 09:02 PM
KerplunKuK

"WilsonKKW" wrote in message
WOW, do I have tons of questions. you gave me lots to think about too.
now I worry that they will surely need warmth in winter, I am in

Maryland,
cold winters. I can see myself having to donate them to a good home,money

lost
then,

You need to find out your frost line. Your pond will need to be deeper than
3ft to keep them in over winter, You will also need a heater to keep a hole
in the ice to let gases escape. The turtles will bury themselves in mud to
keep warm. If it gets too cold you will need to hibernate them. I have a
4ft fence around my pond, to keep the little ones in. They also need a
muddy area to dig in, and remember to sink you fence at least two feet into
the floor. Make sure that you check the sex, as if you hibernate them, they
will mate. Plenty of basking area is needed, to allow the shells to dry and
get the UVA and UVB rays they need. Small feeder fish are useful for the
turtles to chase, and possibly eat. I have a pond that is 4m * 5m * 1.5m
deep. I then have a central island with sloped edges and two sloped side
edges for easy entrance and exit into the water. I have a pump that is
designed for a 10m *10m * 2m pond, and this manages to deal nicely with the
waste from 3 2 year old turtles, and a handful of goldfish and koi. Any
plants will be easy prey.

--
Victoria Concordia Crescit

Old 11-05-2004, 05:06 AM
George

"WilsonKKW" wrote in message
I hope you are not married!

why? you think he going to make me live with the turtles?

He might not want to live with them himself! lol