Old 28-05-2004, 09:07 PM
Randy Farnsworth

Default Comet Goldfish

I have a pair of comet goldfish that have outgrown their indoor tank,
so I was going to put them in my neighbor's pond. Does anyone know how
big these will grow? One person told me they can get up to 12" long in
the right environment, but that seems like a stretch (ha!) to me.

Randy Farnsworth
Author of "A Stand Yet Taken"
http://randyfarnsworth.com/
Old 30-05-2004, 02:07 AM
Skywine

The 4 inch comets that we put in our little pond about a year ago are all
about 10 inches now, and started spawning like mad when they got to about 7
inches or so. Do other people name their pond fish or am I just eccentric??

om...

Old 30-05-2004, 05:05 AM
dkat

When I first put in my pond I bought about 50 feeder fish to just keep the
mosquitoes down. I did not have a clue what I was doing but I knew that
feeder fish had a very high mortality rate. Half of them died almost
immediately. I then found myself counting and tracking all of the survivors
and rooting for them to survive (the orange and white one with the long tail
became fairy, Mohawk was the orange with black fin, etc). Yes I named
everyone of those suckers. That was many years ago and 'blacky' is not
quite a foot long and is bright orange (I didn't know they changed color).
Mostly though I just have their offspring which seem to have a much better
survival rate. The youngsters I try to keep myself from naming but I find
that I still have favorites that I look for every day. So much for just
having 'mosquito eaters'

Old 30-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Manyfeather

I placed two of these golfish in a pond here in south Alabama and they both got
about 8 inches long.

Donna Kay
LyonZPath Creations.. website, auctions, store
Meditations, Selfheal Cd, Selfheal Class, Jewelry
Http://www.LyonZPath.net

Make me a deal on iOffer!
http://www.ioffer.com/users/lyonzpath

Old 30-05-2004, 07:06 PM
SA

The "dude" in our tropical (unfortunately died receintly) ... well, that was
"spotty" ... a speckled fish.

Old 03-06-2004, 07:06 PM
George

"Glenn Lynn" wrote in message
That sounds about the right size to me - give or take about two inches
one way or another.

I have a fully grown female that is about 10" or so. I don't know about the
males. My males aren't fully grown yet, although I have lots of babies.

Old 03-06-2004, 07:06 PM
George

"Skywine" wrote in message
The 4 inch comets that we put in our little pond about a year ago are all
about 10 inches now, and started spawning like mad when they got to about 7
inches or so. Do other people name their pond fish or am I just eccentric??

I've raised fish for about 35 years, and I've never named any of them. But
that's just me.

Comet Problem rob.smith4 Ponds 2 11-04-2004 04:02 PM
I Think We Have a Comet BenignVanilla Ponds 4 23-11-2003 04:22 AM
Comet-Mouth Problem Szpond Ponds 7 15-10-2003 03:02 PM
My Comet David Hahn Ponds 4 07-08-2003 04:42 AM
dead koi/upside down comet info Bruce Ponds 7 02-08-2003 06:13 PM