Old 29-06-2004, 02:02 PM
Lord Fonty

Default Perch

Hi

Some kids from my estate have come round with a few small perch that they
had caught. I let them put them in my pond temporarily and then realised
that perch a predatory. They are all about 2" to 3" long should I get then
out asap or are they no imediate threat.

Thanks

--
Ian (Freebasing On Boredom.......)

BEING IN THERAPY
And yet, having therapy is very much like making love to a beautiful
woman. You... get on the couch, string 'em along with some half-lies and
evasions, probe some deep dark holes, and then hand over all your
money.

Old 29-06-2004, 08:07 PM
Maart

If the perch were in my pond I would expect them to eat fish up to their own
size. This might sound unbelievable but I am a fisheries bailiff and I have
actually seen 2 perch locked together where one tried to eat the other, it
couldn't get it in (it was too big) and couldn't get it out (spines on
dorsal fin) so they died in this position. If left in the pond I wouldn't
expect this years fry to last too long.

Old 30-06-2004, 03:10 PM
Lord Fonty

Oh dear. Well I am waiting for the pond to clear a bit as the winter has
silted things up a bit. When this happens I will net then and get the kids
to return them to the canal where the belong. So far they don't appear to be
causing any damage to my other fish but they are all bigger than the perch
except for a couple of ghosties but fingers crossed they will be as they are
fatter than the perches.

"Lord Fonty" wrote in message
Hi

Some kids from my estate have come round with a few small perch that

they
had caught. I let them put them in my pond temporarily and then realised
that perch a predatory. They are all about 2" to 3" long should I get

then
out asap or are they no imediate threat.

Thanks

--
Ian (Freebasing On Boredom.......)

BEING IN THERAPY
And yet, having therapy is very much like making love to a beautiful
woman. You... get on the couch, string 'em along with some half-lies and
evasions, probe some deep dark holes, and then hand over all your
money.

Nurturing Nests Lift These Birds to a Higher Perch charles Garden Photos 2 01-02-2011 10:26 AM
Male hummingbird on perch Padraig Garden Photos 4 10-12-2006 10:12 PM
Perch for small pond Nathan Ponds 2 07-07-2004 10:02 AM
Perch and bass for a small pond Nathan Ponds 3 17-11-2003 03:42 AM