Old 22-06-2007, 06:48 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default hOW BIG OF PUMP

I have a 1200gph mag drive pump. My pond will be approx 1100gals, is this
enough pump? what size tubing i should use.

Old 22-06-2007, 09:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
I have a 1200gph mag drive pump. My pond will be approx 1100gals, is this
enough pump? what size tubing i should use.

It should be enough. I would make the tubing at least one inch in diameter
to maximize the flow and reduce backpressure.

George

Old 22-06-2007, 02:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Your pump should work fine. It would be good to think how much flow
you will lose from lift. Will you be pushing the water up onto a
waterfall? Unless that were very large, your flow rate should be
fine.

The bigger the pipe the better. If you could do the 1 1/2" or 2", it
would be better.

Jim

Old 23-06-2007, 01:18 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Gordon" wrote in message
I would not go less than 1.5" and preferably 2"
Cheers

Gordon

"George" wrote in message

"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
I have a 1200gph mag drive pump. My pond will be approx 1100gals, is
this enough pump? what size tubing i should use.

It should be enough. I would make the tubing at least one inch in
diameter to maximize the flow and reduce backpressure.

George

My recommendation was a minimum diameter.

George

Old 24-06-2007, 03:59 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Paul" wrote in message
news
Thanks for the help, will go to 1-1/2" dia. tubing. I have a diverter vlv
in there too that splits it up to two filters....

For this size pump, 1.5" should be fine.

George

"George" wrote in message

"Gordon" wrote in message
I would not go less than 1.5" and preferably 2"
Cheers

Gordon

"George" wrote in message

. ..

Old 24-06-2007, 04:17 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
"George" wrote:

news

"George" wrote in message

"Gordon" wrote in message
I would not go less than 1.5" and preferably 2"
Cheers

Gordon

"George" wrote in message

"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
I have a 1200gph mag drive pump. My pond will be approx 1100gals, is
this enough pump? what size tubing i should use.

It should be enough. I would make the tubing at least one inch in
diameter to maximize the flow and reduce backpressure.

George

My recommendation was a minimum diameter.

George

I've often wondered about all this. My 1200 GPH MagDrive pump has
basicallly a 1/2 or so stock nozzle (if I remember) I've got it stepped
up to 1" tubing to the filter. The pump was designed for 1/2 tubing.
Aren't they all at this size?

Old 24-06-2007, 05:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
Kurt wrote:

In article ,
"George" wrote:

news

"George" wrote in message

"Gordon" wrote in message
I would not go less than 1.5" and preferably 2"
Cheers

Gordon

"George" wrote in message

"Paul" wrote in message
. ..
I have a 1200gph mag drive pump. My pond will be approx 1100gals, is
this enough pump? what size tubing i should use.

It should be enough. I would make the tubing at least one inch in
diameter to maximize the flow and reduce backpressure.

George

My recommendation was a minimum diameter.

George

I've often wondered about all this. My 1200 GPH MagDrive pump has
basicallly a 1/2 or so stock nozzle (if I remember) I've got it stepped
up to 1" tubing to the filter. The pump was designed for 1/2 tubing.
Aren't they all at this size?

Actually, the output nozzle is more like 3/8.

Old 24-06-2007, 06:40 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 21:17:37 CST, Kurt
wrote:

I've often wondered about all this. My 1200 GPH MagDrive pump has
basicallly a 1/2 or so stock nozzle (if I remember) I've got it stepped
up to 1" tubing to the filter. The pump was designed for 1/2 tubing.
Aren't they all at this size?

By brand maybe, but I've replaced pumps and had to change sizes
because of the brand.

Regards,

Hal

Old 24-06-2007, 09:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

I've often wondered about all this. My 1200 GPH MagDrive pump has
basicallly a 1/2 or so stock nozzle (if I remember) I've got it stepped
up to 1" tubing to the filter. The pump was designed for 1/2 tubing.

Aren't they all at this size?

You mean the 1/2" nozzle? No, they're different, but it still helps flow to
put a bigger pipe on whatever size the outlet is on the pump.

OP, I'm surprised no one asked or mentioned head, especially for a
MagDrive. The higher the head the quicker the flow rate drops on these.
Thus, check a flow chart: http://www.justliners.com/suprememagdrive.htm
For every 10' of pipe (and I'd recommend 1.5") count as 1' of head, so
according to this chart if you have 5' feet from surface to top of
waterfall and 10 feet of pipe you'll only get 950/gph.

This may be okay if your waterfall/stream is narrow and the pond is mostly
plants with a few fish. Now if your head is only 3 feet this pump should be
fine, otherwise, imo, go with the 1800 gph.

I'm having this same discussion regarding the lily pond, I'll have less
than 3 feet of head, maybe 2, all in piping. Thankfully I have an old pump
I can test flow with before purchase. My concern is that the skimmer work
to my satisfaction.... DH's concern is I'm going to end up with a pond that
looks like one of those exercise mini pools one swims against the flow, so
all the lily pads are pushed towards the far end. I'd rather throttle the
pump, and he'd rather save the watt$. This saga will continue. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 25-06-2007, 03:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 21:17:37 CST, Kurt

OP, I'm surprised no one asked or mentioned head, especially for a
MagDrive. The higher the head the quicker the flow rate drops on these.
Thus, check a flow chart: http://www.justliners.com/suprememagdrive.htm
For every 10' of pipe (and I'd recommend 1.5") count as 1' of head, so
according to this chart if you have 5' feet from surface to top of
waterfall and 10 feet of pipe you'll only get 950/gph.
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

The head loss Jan mentions is a bit more complicated that 1" per 10" of
pipe. The chart shown at this link
http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/...Detail/ttid/54
shows that the head loss is a factor of flow rate in GPM and pipe diameter.
A 1200 gph pump would push 20 gpm with 0 head loss. As Jan says look at the
flow chart for the pump to see what flow you will actually get for different
head values for a pump. The chart shows that for 3/4 inch pipe at 20 gpm,
the head loss is 73 feet for each 100 feet of pvc pipe, for 1 inch the loss
drops to 23 ft. and at 1 1/2 inch the loss has dropped to 3 feet per 100
feet of pipe. Elbows, Tees and fittings all add to the head loss.

Old 25-06-2007, 04:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

[...]

Very informative post, thanks. I can see now how I'm losing efficiency.

Old 25-06-2007, 07:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 09:31:35 CST, Kurt wrote:

MagDrive. The higher the head the quicker the flow rate drops on these.
Thus, check a flow chart: http://www.justliners.com/suprememagdrive.htm
For every 10' of pipe (and I'd recommend 1.5") count as 1' of head, so
according to this chart if you have 5' feet from surface to top of
waterfall and 10 feet of pipe you'll only get 950/gph.

This may be okay if your waterfall/stream is narrow and the pond is mostly
plants with a few fish. Now if your head is only 3 feet this pump should be
fine, otherwise, imo, go with the 1800 gph. ~ jan

Kurt replied:
Very informative post, thanks. I can see now how I'm losing efficiency.

Yea.... I forgot those blasted elbows. Though we here use the sweeps for
better flow.

Okay, RTB (or anyone), many moons ago there was discussion in old RP
regarding pumps needing a certain amount of head/back pressure to work at
their best. Is this still correct and is that also true of mag-drives?
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 25-06-2007, 07:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 08:30:28 CST, "RichToyBox"
wrote:

The head loss Jan mentions is a bit more complicated that 1" per 10" of
pipe. The chart shown at this link
http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/...Detail/ttid/54
shows that the head loss is a factor of flow rate in GPM and pipe diameter.
A 1200 gph pump would push 20 gpm with 0 head loss. As Jan says look at the
flow chart for the pump to see what flow you will actually get for different
head values for a pump. The chart shows that for 3/4 inch pipe at 20 gpm,
the head loss is 73 feet for each 100 feet of pvc pipe, for 1 inch the loss
drops to 23 ft. and at 1 1/2 inch the loss has dropped to 3 feet per 100
feet of pipe. Elbows, Tees and fittings all add to the head loss.

Yes! More detail. Of course it is more complicated. It always is. ;-) ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: