Old 04-07-2007, 05:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Default low maintenance ponding

I thought I would start this up under its own
thread.
(Galen, you need to post your low maintenance
solution to weeding here. DH thinks it has
possibilities and fits in well with his flame thrower
solution to weeds.)

We do pond work once a year.
DH rounds up one of the boys, both of them if
he can catch them. I supervise :-)
Pond is drained. Fish captured and put in the
waterfall pool (150 gallon stock tank hidden in
behind the waterfall).
Dump as much hornwort as we would like
on the ground.
Lily baskets and pump basket lifted out.
Lilies divided, only if needed. Fertilized.
Iris island trimmed around the edges.
Pump hosed off, pump basket hosed off.
90-ish% of gunk on the floor of the pond
shoveled out, distributed to happy trees.
Pond refilled, very slowly. Dechlor added.
Fish put back in (and any frogs and turtles
wandering around). Put back hornwort.
Waterfall turned back on.
Ignore pond the rest of the year.
Winter care - turn off waterfall, add bubbler
to keep a hole open in the ice. Go back to
ignoring.

k :-)

Old 04-07-2007, 07:36 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Low maintenance and no maintenance are different terms for us.

We do very little to maintain the pond...we think. The three berm
ponds and three upflow barrels are drained annually and the 3 x 5
bottom of the 'deep well' get netted out once a year (that is where
big stuff finally goes. (Total time needed: less than 2 hours).
Beyond that, we throw out loads of hyacinth and cerley during growing
season. The berm ponds are veggie filters and aleviate the need of
any other filter. No filter pads to clean. Everything else is
tinkering (except feeding the koi in the main pond). The water level
is self-maintaining by a toilet valve.

Does that come up low maintenance?

Jim

Old 04-07-2007, 06:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Mine is low maintenance.
SPRING veggie filter started up:
suck out water and junk accumulated in veggie filter over winter.
go buy 3-4 nice hanging baskets with flowers.
find the bucket filter, rinse, insert pump into this, lower into pond.
dig up some water celery growing next to pond, wash off dirt, insert
into plastic pot (no dirt) and hang on screws in veggie filter.
haul Cyprus out of basement, trim dead tops and roots, insert into pot
OR, bend one dead stem over, staple to hold at right level for roots
in water.
find itty bitty pump and hook up to UV filter
DURING SEASON:
fertilize the baskets of flowers
haul up the bucket filter 3-4 times to clean it, after that the bucket
filter isnt needed
FALL veggie filter clean up.
remove the plants and trash everything except the Cyprus which goes
into the basement in a tub under lights.
suck the filter clean.
put the plastic lean to greenhouse thingy over the top to winterize
drop in the heater

getting those plants out in fall is not an easy thing. they grow so
large they are wedged in and have to be cut out without cutting the
liner. I would like to try so rigid PVC with holes in the bottom to
see if Cyprus will grow well but I can get them out easily .. next
year.

I wish I had my whole pond inside a greenhouse so I wouldnt have to
remove the plants in fall and start em up again in spring. I miss how
it looks in Aug, Sept, Oct. Ingrid

Old 04-07-2007, 11:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Even easier for us, for the *next* pond
would be a bottom drain and a skimmer!
Also our next pond won't be as deep so
we can trim plants with ease. And it will
be formal so we don't have to deal with
dry stacked rock (easy for dogs to tip
in). Will also have one pond for goldfish
and one pond for critters. And a long winding
stream to float paper boats in...

k :-)

Old 04-07-2007, 11:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

LOL! I don't know Ingrid, but if you can't type up your chores in 20 words
or less I think you've over shot low maintenance. ;-)

I wouldn't call my pond systems lo-maintenance. Fairly easy, yes, don't
have to work on them very often, etc. Anything to do with heavy wet plants,
I don't consider lo-maintenance, I'd call back straining, especially
twice/year movement. Nor any coverings for winter or leaf fall (I'd love to
get out of that). Green house or even a screen house would be so nice.

Lo-maintenance in my book would be that high tech million dollar pond where
the computers do a lot of the work. ;-) Or a vortex filter system where I
just pull a valve to drain the muck out of the filters. ~ jan

wrote:

Low maintenance and no maintenance are different terms for us.

We do very little to maintain the pond...we think. The three berm
ponds and three upflow barrels are drained annually and the 3 x 5
bottom of the 'deep well' get netted out once a year (that is where
big stuff finally goes. (Total time needed: less than 2 hours).
Beyond that, we throw out loads of hyacinth and cerley during growing
season. The berm ponds are veggie filters and aleviate the need of
any other filter. No filter pads to clean. Everything else is
tinkering (except feeding the koi in the main pond). The water level
is self-maintaining by a toilet valve.

Does that come up low maintenance?

Jim

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us

Old 05-07-2007, 06:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote in message
. com...
I wish I had my whole pond inside a greenhouse so I wouldnt have to
remove the plants in fall and start em up again in spring. I miss how
it looks in Aug, Sept, Oct. Ingrid

======================
Look into those inexpensive Harbor Freight Greenhouses. They're 10 X 12'
and two can be hooked together. They're $700 when on sale several times a
year.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:07 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Our first pond was something like 5000 gallons, earth bottomed, with a
14*3 by one-to-three foot deep swampy-type filter pond. It was low
maintenance until my wife decided that we needed to edge it in limestone
boulders and the sides all fell in.

The next one was much smaller and had a liner. It was low maintenance
until we had to fill it in to sell the house.. That was a lot of work.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:59 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 12:07:32 CST, rmx256 wrote:

The next one was much smaller and had a liner. It was low maintenance
until we had to fill it in to sell the house.. That was a lot of work.

That's sad, did the new people not want it?

I have some friends selling their house soon with a really nice pond. I
think he too is concerned he may have to fill it in, and it was 4 truck
loads of dirt out. I sure hope the new people are pond people.

So far my sister has sold 2 houses with ponds that the people kept. The
last one the people gave her $1,000 so the fish would stay. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 06-07-2007, 03:52 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 22:07:54 CST, k wrote:

I thought I would start this up under its own
thread.
(Galen, you need to post your low maintenance
solution to weeding here. DH thinks it has
possibilities and fits in well with his flame thrower
solution to weeds.)

I do many weird things. Which weirdness would you refer to?
--
Galen Hekhuis
We'll cross that bridge when it rears its ugly head

Old 06-07-2007, 09:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Which weirdness would you refer to?

Target practice with weeds. DH wishes he could
get away with that in suburbia.

k :-)

Old 07-07-2007, 05:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 02:06:51 CST, k wrote:

Target practice with weeds. DH wishes he could
get away with that in suburbia.

It's true, I weed with a rifle. It's an air rifle (CO2 to be exact)
with a scope and non-toxic (no lead) pellets. It's great for getting
those weeds you can't reach (which is most of them for me). I just
sit in my chair, sight in on the base of a weed, and soon the weed
topples over. I nail an occasional wasp, but the dragonflies and such
are safe, and seem to know it. As a matter of fact, it doesn't seem
to bother critters at all, one egret even acts attracted to it, and
will fly down to watch (and hunt bugs). The People for the Ethical
Treatment of Weeds don't seem to get in my face, either.
--
Galen Hekhuis
"Mistakes were made"

Old 09-07-2007, 03:49 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
Galen Hekhuis wrote:

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 02:06:51 CST, k wrote:

Target practice with weeds. DH wishes he could
get away with that in suburbia.

It's true, I weed with a rifle. It's an air rifle (CO2 to be exact)
with a scope and non-toxic (no lead) pellets. It's great for getting
those weeds you can't reach (which is most of them for me). I just
sit in my chair, sight in on the base of a weed, and soon the weed
topples over. I nail an occasional wasp, but the dragonflies and such
are safe, and seem to know it. As a matter of fact, it doesn't seem
to bother critters at all, one egret even acts attracted to it, and
will fly down to watch (and hunt bugs). The People for the Ethical
Treatment of Weeds don't seem to get in my face, either.
--

LOL - there's something very Beverly Hillbillies about that imagery.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Low maintenance turtles HW Ponds 2 29-04-2005 03:51 AM
New here, need low maintenance ideas (long) VX United Kingdom 5 17-01-2005 03:33 PM
Plants for low-maintenance garden? andrewpreece United Kingdom 4 29-09-2004 12:37 PM
Is 1.6 wpg enough for a low maintenance, non CO2 planted tank Harry Muscle Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 15-07-2004 11:06 AM
low maintenance tree for northwest? peter Gardening 14 07-03-2003 06:44 PM