Old 08-07-2007, 03:25 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Photos of my Turtle Island (RES in a koi pond)

We moved our four baby RES outside yesterday after a brief stay in an
aquarium. Looks like the young ones have found a friend with our RES
that we found this spring as a tiny hatchling walking in our yard.
He is the larger turtle in the photos. You can view them all at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/koiboyk...7600703827523/
PS only four of the five wanted to pose for the camera today.

What I really wanted to share was my floating turtle island. It is
the black thing they are sitting upon. It is constructed of a ring
of 2 inch PVC. I mounted a piece of heavy plastic to the ring and
then made a ramp for them to climb upon the flat area. Finally I
added some shade from a black plastic cement mixing tub that had
sprung a leak. Cut the tub diagonally and mounted it to one corner
of the island. I then tied a cord to the understructure and attached
the other end of the nylon cord to my bottom drain. This keeps the
island from drifting to the pond wall. My hope is that the turtles
will not be able to climb from the island to over the top of the pond
wall and escape.

For anyone that thinks turtles are slow they should see how quickly
they can swim in open water.
Dan
http://www.flickr.com/photos/koiboykoi/ if the above link does not
work. Click on the set that has turtles. There is also a photo of
our water lily pond.

Old 08-07-2007, 04:43 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

I love the pictures! Especially the one of the pond.
I love turtles, they have such expressive little faces.
My painted turtle, Yertle, would swim over to the side
of our pond and look starving to get his share of
koi kibble which he thought he needed in his well
rounded turtle diet.

k :-)

Old 08-07-2007, 01:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

nice slideshow. Nice pond too! We had an 8" res come visit our pond.
He had to go back home (nearby lake)...too big a mouth!

Jim

Old 08-07-2007, 05:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Nice photos. I'd love to have turtles in my goldfish pond.
Only had a spotted turtle visit, but it didn't stay long.
Bonnie
NJ

Old 08-07-2007, 06:07 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 20:25:06 CST, "Dan Robinson"
wrote:

We moved our four baby RES outside yesterday after a brief stay in an
aquarium. Looks like the young ones have found a friend with our RES
that we found this spring as a tiny hatchling walking in our yard.
He is the larger turtle in the photos. You can view them all at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/koiboyk...7600703827523/
PS only four of the five wanted to pose for the camera today.

Dan

Cool slide show. So how big is this island, that one yellow koi looks huge
next to it!? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 09-07-2007, 06:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Great pictures and a nifty little island. I like the access ramp you made!

My pond ( http://www.clowder.net/cats/Turtles/pond.html ) is home to
seven adult and two juvenile RES, the biggest about 11" long. I've
raised most of them from hatchlings. I've found a few hatchlings this
year, mostly injured, and all died. :'( However, I've seen one
hatchling in the pond and have hopes that she will make it.

Turtles are definitely not slow! Some of mine can even cover land rather
quickly. And I have learned to have the greatest respect for their
climbing abilities.

Gabrielle in hot southern Arizona

Old 10-07-2007, 06:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Your pond pics are great, especially the transformation of your yard from
desert to turtle oasis.
But, your cat pages and their stories are fascinating. Laura, Albert and
Monique truly sounded special.
I'm glad I clicked your link.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Ralph & His Clowder" wrote in message
Great pictures and a nifty little island. I like the access ramp you made!

brevity snip
======================
I loved your pond pics. Our little slider kept trying to escape so we took
him (or her) to a nearby lake and released him. We found him tangled in the
net on one attempt. He was in our pond for over a year. He just showed up
on his own one day. We never figured our how he got through the net.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 15-07-2007, 01:27 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Gabrielle in hot southern Arizona

Where in hot southern Arizona? I am in gol' dang hot Tempe and am
looking for local pond support groups.

Chip

Old 21-07-2007, 08:13 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Reel McKoi wrote:

brevity snip
======================
I loved your pond pics. Our little slider kept trying to escape so we
took him (or her) to a nearby lake and released him. We found him
tangled in the net on one attempt. He was in our pond for over a year.
He just showed up on his own one day. We never figured our how he got
through the net.

Thanks! Turtles are amazing little acrobats. I once found a 10" tortoise
half-way up a 6' chain link fence.
Gabrielle

Old 21-07-2007, 08:13 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Gabrielle in hot southern Arizona

Where in hot southern Arizona? I am in gol' dang hot Tempe and am
looking for local pond support groups.

Chip

I'm even further south, down in Ajo (on the road to Rocky Point). It was
117F on the 4th of July.
Gabrielle

Old 21-07-2007, 03:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Ajo Clowder" wrote in message

Gabrielle in hot southern Arizona

Where in hot southern Arizona? I am in gol' dang hot Tempe and am
looking for local pond support groups.

Chip

I'm even further south, down in Ajo (on the road to Rocky Point). It was
117F on the 4th of July.
Gabrielle

It has been nigh on 60 years ago that I lived down in that neighborhood. We
lived in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, close to Lukeville. Had to go
to Ajo for groceries. The mine was running full tilt at that time. I have
heard that it has since closed.

Rate This Thread: