Old 14-07-2007, 10:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
JJ JJ is offline

Default Hose

Is there any reason that Automotive Radiator Hose (1") that has never been
used to carry anti-freeze or any other chemicals cannot be used for pond
water hose from pump to filter ?

I have about 20' of it that I would like to use.

Comments?

Jerry

Old 14-07-2007, 11:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"JJ" wrote in message
Is there any reason that Automotive Radiator Hose (1") that has never been
used to carry anti-freeze or any other chemicals cannot be used for pond
water hose from pump to filter ?

I have about 20' of it that I would like to use.

Comments?

======================
I was told never to use anything not certified "food safe" for people.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 15-07-2007, 04:24 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I too would be skittish without some sort of check with a
manufacutrer. As an alternative, you could put it in a tub with a
canary goldfish. Leaqve it for a couple of weeks to see what the
score is.

Jim

Old 15-07-2007, 05:13 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
JJ JJ is offline

Actually it is Heater hose. Gates Safety Stripe GLo8044. Can't find any
info at the Gates site.

ups.com...

Old 15-07-2007, 11:50 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Do ya feel lucky, Punk? Well do ya?

Safe for what?

Plants, I wouldn't even worry about it.

Gold fish, pretty hardy fellas. Some of my longest survivors are 25 cent
feeders.

Koi, I wouldn't even think twice about it, more like 3 or four times.
Koi have the habit of going belly up for no apparent reason, the
ungrateful little buggers. I don't think I would risk the $10 to $20
savings on Koi.

Old 16-07-2007, 02:06 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article , "JJ"
wrote:

Actually it is Heater hose. Gates Safety Stripe GLo8044. Can't find any
info at the Gates site.

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
I too would be skittish without some sort of check with a
manufacutrer. As an alternative, you could put it in a tub with a
canary goldfish. Leaqve it for a couple of weeks to see what the
score is.

Jim

My gut feeling is to avoid it, but I'd send email to Gates.

Old 16-07-2007, 04:35 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
JJ JJ is offline

I was questioning in my mind about using it as well. Just wanted some opinions. To be on the safe side made a trip to Lowe's and for $20 now have 20' of 1" and have no more worries.
Thanks everone for the comments.

Jerry

Old 16-07-2007, 09:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
MLF MLF is offline

"JJ" wrote
I was questioning in my mind about using it as well. Just wanted some
opinions. To be on the safe side made a trip to Lowe's and for $20 now have
20' of 1" and have no more worries.

Jerry:

Smart man. I checked the Gates Rubber Co. website (www.gates.com) and
discovered that your description ("Gates Safety Stripe GLo8044") was
difficult to find. "Safety Stripe" comes in a myriad of types, so you can't
get a straight answer as to what it is made of without some searching
around.

IMO, when dealing with fishes, it doesn't pay to introduce untested or
unknown stuff into their environment. You just never know. You spent your
$20 well. Save the hose for your next car repair project.

Michael
New Orleans, Louisiana USA

Old 17-07-2007, 05:03 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
JJ JJ is offline

AMEN.

Your right I couldn't find anything on Gates web site as well.

Anyway no more sleepless nights!

Jerry

"JJ" wrote

Old 17-07-2007, 05:36 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
JJ JJ is offline

AMEN.

Your right I couldn't find anything on Gates web site as well.

Anyway no more sleepless nights!

Jerry

"MLF" wrote in message

"JJ" wrote
I was questioning in my mind about using it as well. Just wanted some
opinions. To be on the safe side made a trip to Lowe's and for $20 now have
20' of 1" and have no more worries.

Jerry:

Smart man. I checked the Gates Rubber Co. website (www.gates.com) and
discovered that your description ("Gates Safety Stripe GLo8044") was
difficult to find. "Safety Stripe" comes in a myriad of types, so you can't
get a straight answer as to what it is made of without some searching
around.

IMO, when dealing with fishes, it doesn't pay to introduce untested or
unknown stuff into their environment. You just never know. You spent your
$20 well. Save the hose for your next car repair project.

Michael
New Orleans, Louisiana USA

Rate This Thread: