Old 06-08-2007, 05:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Bigger pond picture

A lot of folks here put a lot of time in their ponds, checking the
quality of their water, flow and filter concerns, plumbing, decorative
plants, fish, rocks and waterfalls, stuff like that. Not me. My idea
of checking the water in the pond is looking in the pond and seeing if
there is any water. That's pretty much all I do to "check the water."
Plants are lucky if I put them in the ground with the "green side up."
I think they would die of shock if I fertilized them, they are
surprised if I even get around to sprinkling water on them. It is a
mud, unlined (natural) type pond. Oh well, the frogs and dragonflies
and water bugs and other critters seem to like it. Anyway, I rented a
backhoe last week and made it bigger. I'll try to do a better job on
pictures in the future, but here is one I took this morning. The box
on the tree is an IP camera, the idea being that in the future I can
post a URL so that if folks desire they can see real-time pictures of
the pond, but alas, I haven't gotten all the "bugs" worked out yet.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...g062007007.jpg

Old 06-08-2007, 07:27 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 10:21:08 CST, Galen Hekhuis
wrote:

It is a
mud, unlined (natural) type pond. Oh well, the frogs and dragonflies
and water bugs and other critters seem to like it. Anyway, I rented a
backhoe last week and made it bigger. I'll try to do a better job on
pictures in the future, but here is one I took this morning. The box
on the tree is an IP camera, the idea being that in the future I can
post a URL so that if folks desire they can see real-time pictures of
the pond, but alas, I haven't gotten all the "bugs" worked out yet.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...g062007007.jpg

That is so cool! Great picture. Looking forward to the real time camera
running. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 06-08-2007, 07:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Nie pic. I can see the tracks from the backhoe.

How often deos it go dry? Will you put any fish in? Gambusia?

Where does Bob stay?

Jim

Old 06-08-2007, 10:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
The box
on the tree is an IP camera, the idea being that in the future I can
post a URL so that if folks desire they can see real-time pictures of
the pond, but alas, I haven't gotten all the "bugs" worked out yet.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x...g062007007.jpg

==================================
I wish my pond looked like that. That is so natural looking. :-)

Thanks for sharing.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Looking good.
My view is if you can't survive with neglect around here
you don't deserve to live!

k :-)

Old 07-08-2007, 02:36 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Like....totally natural!

Jim

Old 07-08-2007, 04:45 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 12:28:18 CST, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

Nie pic. I can see the tracks from the backhoe.

Thanks, the enlargement of the pond was kind of an afterthought, as
in: "Well, I've rented a backhoe, what to dig next?" My brother
rented a backhoe up in North Carolina and shot and then buried his
wife's Renault Le Car (what a POS that was), but I didn't have a car
to shoot, so we buried a tree and a satellite dish instead.

How often deos it go dry? Will you put any fish in? Gambusia?

It only goes dry when I pump the water out of it. Normally this would
be sort of low water for it, but as dry as it has been here this is
about as full as it has been this year. I don't know about the fish,
the guy who brings my propane says about 10 years ago a previous owner
used to have a fair amount of fish in the pond. That was before it
became a garbage heap. As for gambusia, I have some in the back
pond, and I think some were in this pond (before I pumped the water
out) but I didn't put them there, birds must have carried the eggs.
Where does Bob stay?

Beats me, I haven't seen him for over two months now. Either
something ate him or maybe he just moved on.

Old 07-08-2007, 04:45 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Aug 6, 10:21 am, Galen Hekhuis wrote:
[...]

What is that hanging in the trees? Spanish Moss? Are you in gator
territory?

You need some decoration around the pond!:

http://www.deutscheoptik.com/catalog...roducts_id=759

http://www.deutscheoptik.com/catalog...rods/NS804.jpg

Old 07-08-2007, 06:52 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 21:45:18 CST, Galen Hekhuis
wrote:

became a garbage heap. As for gambusia, I have some in the back
pond, and I think some were in this pond (before I pumped the water
out) but I didn't put them there, birds must have carried the eggs.

Gambusia are live bearers, like guppies. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 07-08-2007, 02:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

became a garbage heap. As for gambusia, I have some in the back
pond, and I think some were in this pond (before I pumped the water
out) but I didn't put them there, birds must have carried the eggs.

Gambusia are live bearers, like guppies. ;-) ~ jan

I guess they didn't come as eggs then, I haven't the foggiest how they
got there, I sure didn't put them in.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 21:45:56 CST, chatnoir
wrote:

What is that hanging in the trees? Spanish Moss?

Yup, it's Spanish moss. It grows everywhere down here. If you even
stop at a red light long enough, it'll grow on your car. Well, it
isn't quite that fast, but sometimes it seems like it.

Are you in gator
territory?

Northern Florida is full of alligators. A couple of summers ago I had
one in the back pond, though none have made it up to this pond -- yet.

You need some decoration around the pond!:

http://www.deutscheoptik.com/catalog...roducts_id=759

http://www.deutscheoptik.com/catalog...rods/NS804.jpg

I'm thinking the weeds may grow fast enough so I won't have to plant
those.
--
Galen Hekhuis
Hell hath no fury like a bird in the hand

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Bigger pond Galen Hekhuis Ponds (moderated) 15 04-08-2007 11:37 AM
bigger potato yields ( was Excitement in the Air) Edible Gardening 6 06-05-2004 09:04 PM
should I buy bigger plants? Ben Bamboo 1 05-11-2003 09:43 PM
Garden shed 6ftx8ft or bigger Evelyn Usher United Kingdom 9 01-09-2003 10:12 AM
for the birds & bigger koi = Nedra ~ Windsong ~ Ponds 0 25-04-2003 05:56 AM