Old 18-08-2007, 03:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Slug alert..

Hi..

Last winter was no real winter and this summer is unusual
wet and monsoon-like means we have big brown slugs, slugs,
slugs up to 5"..

Well lost my tomatoes, my salad, several herbs and some
anual flowers and now they're just conquering the edges of
the buckets, barrels and summer ponds. Their next target
seem to be the emerged parts of the pond plants/aquaria
plants. That's enough now..! So how to get rid of these
invaders..?

P.S.: A ponder here gave me the tip to keep some big
crayfish and that I should feed them with slugs.. How do
you think about it..?

Thanks in advance..
--
cu
Marco

Old 18-08-2007, 04:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Marco Schwarz" wrote in message
Hi..

Last winter was no real winter and this summer is unusual
wet and monsoon-like means we have big brown slugs, slugs,
slugs up to 5"..

Well lost my tomatoes, my salad, several herbs and some
anual flowers and now they're just conquering the edges of
the buckets, barrels and summer ponds. Their next target
seem to be the emerged parts of the pond plants/aquaria
plants. That's enough now..! So how to get rid of these
invaders..?

P.S.: A ponder here gave me the tip to keep some big
crayfish and that I should feed them with slugs.. How do
you think about it..?

Thanks in advance..
--
cu
Marco

Set out little bowls of beer in your garden. The slugs will climb in, get
a hell of a hangover, and never come back out. It works.

George

Old 18-08-2007, 05:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

The beer can be in cans in the ground. Slugs are wiped out.

There are also commercial baits.

Jim

Old 18-08-2007, 06:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Marco Schwarz" wrote:

Hi..

Last winter was no real winter and this summer is unusual
wet and monsoon-like means we have big brown slugs, slugs,
slugs up to 5"..

Well lost my tomatoes, my salad, several herbs and some
anual flowers and now they're just conquering the edges of
the buckets, barrels and summer ponds. Their next target
seem to be the emerged parts of the pond plants/aquaria
plants. That's enough now..! So how to get rid of these
invaders..?

P.S.: A ponder here gave me the tip to keep some big
crayfish and that I should feed them with slugs.. How do
you think about it..?

Thanks in advance..

I use a pet safe bait called Sluggo. The active ingredient is iron
phosphate, so any other product that uses this should be safe as well. Just
check the label.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 18-08-2007, 06:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Fill a pond with crayfish, feed them slugs by the
bucket, have tasty crayfish boil at the end of the
season!

k :-)

Old 18-08-2007, 10:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
MLF MLF is offline

"George" wrote
Last winter was no real winter and this summer is unusual
wet and monsoon-like means we have big brown slugs, slugs,
slugs up to 5"..
So how to get rid of these
invaders..?

P.S.: A ponder here gave me the tip to keep some big
crayfish and that I should feed them with slugs.. How do
you think about it..?

The beer will definitely do the trick. Just cut off the tops with a can
opener and bury up to the lips in the ground. Like a roach motel, they check
in, but they don't check out. Replace as needed.

The crawfish will work too. However, after they finish the slugs, what will
they eat next? Something to consider.

Michael
New Orleans, Louisiana USA

Old 18-08-2007, 11:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

MLF wrote:

"George" wrote
Last winter was no real winter and this summer is unusual
wet and monsoon-like means we have big brown slugs, slugs,
slugs up to 5"..
So how to get rid of these
invaders..?

The beer will definitely do the trick. Just cut off the tops with a can
opener and bury up to the lips in the ground. Like a roach motel, they
check in, but they don't check out. Replace as needed.

Sure it works, but it's such a horrible waste of beer...
--
derek

Old 19-08-2007, 01:41 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article . com,
Phyllis and Jim wrote:

The beer can be in cans in the ground. Slugs are wiped out.

There are also commercial baits.

Jim

There's something almost romantic about the notion of cans of open beer
open around the yard.

Actually sounds like our house after a party.

Sluggo is what is I use. We get snails galore in Spring. Sluggo is
cheap, easy to use and safe for the pets.

Old 19-08-2007, 01:47 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Marco Schwarz" wrote in message
Hi..

Last winter was no real winter and this summer is unusual
wet and monsoon-like means we have big brown slugs, slugs,
slugs up to 5"..

Well lost my tomatoes, my salad, several herbs and some
anual flowers and now they're just conquering the edges of
the buckets, barrels and summer ponds. Their next target
seem to be the emerged parts of the pond plants/aquaria
plants. That's enough now..! So how to get rid of these
invaders..?

P.S.: A ponder here gave me the tip to keep some big
crayfish and that I should feed them with slugs.. How do
you think about it..?

Thanks in advance..

===========================
Go to Lowe's or some other store and get those "slug baits." THEY WORK!
Follow the directions on the box and you'll get of 99% of them.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 19-08-2007, 02:38 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"k" wrote in message
ups.com...
Fill a pond with crayfish, feed them slugs by the
bucket, have tasty crayfish boil at the end of the
season!

======================
Koi will also eat them. :-)
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 19-08-2007, 05:25 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
MLF MLF is offline

"Derek Broughton" wrote
The beer will definitely do the trick. Just cut off the tops with a can
opener and bury up to the lips in the ground. Like a roach motel, they
check in, but they don't check out. Replace as needed.

Sure it works, but it's such a horrible waste of beer...

Use lite beer. It's barely good enough for the slugs.

Michael
New Orleans, Louisiana USA

Old 19-08-2007, 07:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi..

Set out little bowls of beer in your garden.
The slugs will climb in, get a hell of a
hangover, and never come back out. It works.

Thanks all. Yeah at first I'll try out the Beer Can method..

@ Kurt:
Oh boy, do you really serve beer in cans to your party
guests? What a breach of style..! :-)
--
cu
Marco, a real beer stein promoter..

Old 22-08-2007, 04:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

George wrote:
"Marco Schwarz" wrote in message

Set out little bowls of beer in your garden. The slugs will climb
in, get a hell of a hangover, and never come back out. It works.

George

That only works if you don't have a dog that loves beer, g.

--
Barbara
Oregon

Old 22-08-2007, 08:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article BiXyi.4559$z83.3743@trndny09,
"Barbara OR" wrote:

George wrote:
"Marco Schwarz" wrote in message

Set out little bowls of beer in your garden. The slugs will climb
in, get a hell of a hangover, and never come back out. It works.

George

That only works if you don't have a dog that loves beer, g.

Yes, a yard full of thriving smails and drunken pets. Might be someone's
idea of heaven...

Old 22-08-2007, 10:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi again..

Well I guess the UK gardeners and ponders might have a slug
problem, too..

Found this link in a UK group:

cu
Marco