Old 23-08-2007, 06:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Slug alert..

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:24:05 CST, Marco Schwarz
wrote:

Well I guess the UK gardeners and ponders might have a slug
problem, too..

Found this link in a UK group:

How big is that slug in the picture?

I live in the desert of Washington State. Use to be all we'd see were these
tiny 1/2" whitish anemic looking slugs under a rock now an again while I
was growing up. Now we have these BIG black ones from the Westside/WETside
of the state. Hot weather doesn't seem to slow them down in our lush,
irrigated landscapes. The current thinking is all the beauty bark that is
brought in to mulch gardens brought eggs with it, thus we have these new
critters. It's too bad city people frown on chickens running loose. I bet
they'd eat my little frogs though too. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 24-08-2007, 08:18 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
MLF MLF is offline

"Kurt" wrote
Yes, a yard full of thriving smails and drunken pets. Might be someone's
idea of heaven...

The pets', presumably.

Michael
New Orleans, Louisiana USA

Old 25-08-2007, 09:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi..

How big is that slug in the picture?

Well the big brown ones can grow up to 5"..

I live in the desert of Washington State.

Wow.., didn't exactly know where Washington State is and how
different it's climate exactly is but than I luckily found
this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington

Use to be all
we'd see were these tiny 1/2" whitish anemic looking slugs
under a rock now an again while I was growing up.

Well we have these nocturnal little critters too but believe
me they're innocent..

The enemy is the brown/black/red_brown fraction..!

Welcome to reality..! ;-)
--
cu
Marco

Old 27-08-2007, 07:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 14:21:12 CST, Marco Schwarz
wrote:

Wow.., didn't exactly know where Washington State is and how
different it's climate exactly is but than I luckily found
this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington

Yes, we're known as the Evergreen State, which means to the Wetside the
East doesn't count, except to tax us so they can build more roads on the
Wetside. ;-)

Course now we're getting pretty green ourselves, they discovered grapes
LOVE our soil and weather, so we got tons of beautiful vineyards. I have
been a desert rat all my life, and I love sage, the smell of sage, etc. But
there is nothing prettier, in my mind, than a vineyard in the middle of all
that sage. The contrast, with our rolling hills. Beautiful.
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2962q9
Now this is gorgeous:
http://www.starlanevineyard.com/pres...ard_Blocks.jpg
Unfortunately that is California... but we have similar around us, not as
rugged. http://www.avalonwine.com/kiona-vineyard-325p.jpg
I was hoping to find the picture similar to the California one only with
the Columbia River in the background. Unfortunately no luck. ~ jan

Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: