Old 03-09-2007, 01:23 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Pond project update (or lack of)

"RichToyBox" wrote in message
My google shows both pickerel weed and pickerel fish. The one being used
for filtration is the weed. The fish would just add bioload, and probably
reduce fish populations.

Yes, but they are tasty. :-)

Old 03-09-2007, 01:24 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
~ jan wrote:

Have to, no. There are benefits though, like quicker start up in the
spring
that might make it worth it. I'd recommend at least an air stone. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

So worth the investment then.......better get surfing for the best price -
I'm considering one of the Hozelocks with the built in UV - not sure of
the volume of the pond yet but I think it will be the 1000 gall model that
I'll need - and if not, I am yet to find a problem with overfiltering....

Gill

I haven't found the pressurized filters that great, they tend to need a lot
of cleaning. If you got the space a homemade barrel filter would likely be
better.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:34 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I may be very out of line here, but I wonder of goldfish or koi might
not make it through the winter. They would not do much, but I suspect
they could make it.

Gill,

I am sorry thaqt the weather is such a problem for you. May your pond
prosper any way!

We have not had any hurricanes this year. We have had some of your
rain recently. Our acre pond is holding depth despite 105 degree
temps!

Jim

Old 03-09-2007, 04:34 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Gill,

While I think about it, you won't need a UV til spring. We chose to
have the UV separate as it runs only a few weeks per year.

Jim

Old 03-09-2007, 02:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
Gill,

While I think about it, you won't need a UV til spring. We chose to
have the UV separate as it runs only a few weeks per year.

Jim

I'll add looking at a separate UV to my "To research" list.....

Thanks
Gill

Old 03-09-2007, 02:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
I may be very out of line here, but I wonder of goldfish or koi might
not make it through the winter. They would not do much, but I suspect
they could make it.

They probably would make it but it is unlikely I would be ready to add
any before October at earliest hence my decision to wait until spring.
Probably being overly cautious......

Gill,

I am sorry thaqt the weather is such a problem for you. May your pond
prosper any way!

Still no sign of summer yet *sigh* - I think we are all resigned to the
fact that the UK has skipped the summer of 2007....

We have not had any hurricanes this year. We have had some of your
rain recently. Our acre pond is holding depth despite 105 degree
temps!

Jim

I'd be happy with temps in the upper 70s - we've only had a couple of
days where it has creeped up this high.

Gill

Old 03-09-2007, 06:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 13:42:08 CST, Marco Schwarz
wrote:

Lillies, pickerel, parrot's feather, and lizard's tounge.
Just make sure the roots are well below freezing level.

Really..? Google said "pickerel" were a pike species..! :-)

Try pickerel rush, I think that is what Gill was talking about.
http://tinyurl.com/yp8anb
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 03-09-2007, 06:37 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 07:22:00 CST, Gill Passman
wrote:

I'd be happy with temps in the upper 70s - we've only had a couple of
days where it has creeped up this high.

Wow! The Southeastern US usually sees a few days of temperatures over
100F, but this year some of us have had weeks.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 03-09-2007, 08:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Lillies, pickerel, parrot's feather, and lizard's tounge.
Just make sure the roots are well below freezing level.

Really..? Google said "pickerel" were a pike species..! :-)

Try pickerel rush, I think that is what Gill was talking about.
http://tinyurl.com/yp8anb

Yeah pickerel are what we have in our pond.. both white and purple blooming,
but they definitly die back to nothing over winter here.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 03-09-2007, 11:18 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Hal" wrote in message

Wow! The Southeastern US usually sees a few days of temperatures over
100F, but this year some of us have had weeks.

=============================
It' been in the 90s here since spring. We had 15 days in a row of 100+
temps, one day reaching 106 in the shade. That was the day many of the
flowers in our gardens turned brown and died, or died to the ground. Also,
drought stricken trees, already on the edge, turned brown... not leaves are
falling as though this was October.

The water in the ponds and outdoor tanks never went over 88F. There were no
deaths.

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
rec.ponder since late 1996.
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://tinyurl.com/9do58
Zone 6. Middle TN USA
~~~~ }((((* ~~~ }{{{{(ö

Old 04-09-2007, 08:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 13:42:51 CST, "Gareee©"
wrote:

Yeah pickerel are what we have in our pond.. both white and purple blooming,
but they definitly die back to nothing over winter here.

Sorry to hear that. Someone mentioned lowering it in the water over
winter. Sounds like a good idea.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 05-09-2007, 01:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 16:18:31 CST, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

The water in the ponds and outdoor tanks never went over 88F. There were no
deaths.

I don't recall just what my highest water temperature was, but it was
close to 90 here too. I kept air going and changed two water flow
inlets for more water friction. I also thinned the herd in June just
before the heat really set in. I lost two small koi about 4 inches
long that jumped out of a 160 gallon pond. Pretty sure it wasn't heat
related.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Project update: New Bed -- Phase 1 done! JNJ Gardening 0 08-07-2003 04:20 AM
project 2003 update John Rutz Ponds 3 10-06-2003 12:56 AM
project 20023 update John Rutz Ponds 4 29-04-2003 06:08 PM