Old 31-08-2007, 08:52 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Pond project update (or lack of)

Well, nothing has happened with the excavation since my last time of
writing....not because I haven't been itching to get on with it BUT
because the English summer has been so dire this year that the weather
hasn't been conducive to pond digging. The frustrating bit is that since
early July I've only had 1 to 2 days worth of work left to do on the
pond.....the forecast for this weekend looks OK (dry and not too hot) so
hopefully I will get it to a stage where I can get some water in there.

Now, I'm working on the fact that it is too late in the season to even
contemplate fish but I was wondering about plants......from the fact
that even the smallest puddle in my garden gets adopted by frogs I'm
guessing that once filled with water the pond will attract frogs so I
want a decent environment for them to enable them to overwinter. Can
anyone suggest any plants that I could introduce this late in the season
that would survive the winter?

TIA
Gill

Old 01-09-2007, 02:57 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Can anyone suggest any plants that I could introduce this late in the
season that would survive the winter?

Lillies, pickerel, parrot's feather, and lizard's tounge. Just make sure the
roots are well below freezing level.

I'm at 3000 feet above sea level, and they all come back fine.

--
Gareee
(Gary Tabar Jr.)

Old 01-09-2007, 09:03 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Can anyone suggest any plants that I could introduce this late in the
season that would survive the winter? Gill

Lillies, pickerel, parrot's feather, and lizard's tounge. Just make sure the
roots are well below freezing level. Gareee

And usually this is a great time to purchase, everything will be on
clearance/sale at the garden shops. Let us know what you find. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 01-09-2007, 09:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:
Can anyone suggest any plants that I could introduce this late in the
season that would survive the winter? Gill

Lillies, pickerel, parrot's feather, and lizard's tounge. Just make sure the
roots are well below freezing level. Gareee

And usually this is a great time to purchase, everything will be on
clearance/sale at the garden shops. Let us know what you find. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Do you think that I would need to run a filter/UV on it this winter or
could I leave it until the spring? I know I'm going to have to get a
filter but I have a few indoor projects as well so if I can get away
with not it would be good......however, as the pond project is one close
to my heart if the concensus is that I need a filter running from the
off I will do it and my luminaire for my 4 foot tropical can wait.....

Gill

Old 01-09-2007, 11:17 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Rule of thumb is under 50, 45, 40 degrees F.
One of those (jj, what is it...) the filter bugs
shut down. Have to translate that into C.
Anyway, the little critters that do the wonder
work of filtering the water take the winter off
so most ponders turn off their filters for the
winter.

k :-)

Old 01-09-2007, 11:56 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 14:48:20 CST, Gill Passman
wrote:

Do you think that I would need to run a filter/UV on it this winter or
could I leave it until the spring? I know I'm going to have to get a
filter but I have a few indoor projects as well so if I can get away
with not it would be good......however, as the pond project is one close
to my heart if the concensus is that I need a filter running from the
off I will do it and my luminaire for my 4 foot tropical can wait.....

Gill

Have to, no. There are benefits though, like quicker start up in the spring
that might make it worth it. I'd recommend at least an air stone. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 01-09-2007, 11:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 16:17:28 CST, k wrote:

Rule of thumb is under 50, 45, 40 degrees F.
One of those (jj, what is it...) the filter bugs
shut down. Have to translate that into C.
Anyway, the little critters that do the wonder
work of filtering the water take the winter off
so most ponders turn off their filters for the
winter.

k :-)

Unfortunately that's old information. It use to be that people thought the
bio-bugs died, so they turned off their filters, which affective did kill
them. The new info says most of the bio-bugs build a bio-film around
themselves and just go dormant till conditions improve. A filter will
continue to work to some degree into the 40's. That's why one needs to stop
feeding before this time. The bio-bugs do need water movement thru-out the
winter, why I keep my pre-filter and 1 bio-filter on slow during the down
time. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 01-09-2007, 11:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds more ponductive than my summer, although the fish and water came out
today. I also took out the old waterfall and capstones. Tomorrow the old
liner comes out and the shovel goes in. I found four decent sized new fry,
so someone made the most of their time this summer.

Someone at work asked me what I did withy the fish during construction and I
said I put them in a bucket. I got a strange look, but I was having too much
fun by that time to explain it's a 300 gallon bucket. :-) Landlubbers!

Old 02-09-2007, 01:00 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

ak! It's a good thing I don't run a filter
anymore! LOL. It makes sense.
Learn something new everyday :-))

k :-)

Old 02-09-2007, 01:54 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 18:00:33 CST, k wrote:

ak! It's a good thing I don't run a filter
anymore! LOL. It makes sense.
Learn something new everyday :-))

k :-)

Your pump/waterfall isn't going? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 02-09-2007, 02:09 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Your pump/waterfall isn't going?

That is going.
(For new folks http://tinyurl.com/yp64db ~ you can
see the waterfall)
Being nice and wide and filled with big flat lava
rock (which DH cleans once a year) it probably
does a good job of filtering. Just nothing in the
waterfall pool anymore. A huge growth of hornwort
in the pond is picking up the rest of the job. And the big iris
and the waterlilies. btw - a black princess bloomed
the other day. Didn't even know I had it but I bet
I got it from you once upon a time.

k :-)

Old 02-09-2007, 04:47 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 1 Sep 2007 19:09:49 CST, k wrote:

btw - a black princess bloomed
the other day. Didn't even know I had it but I bet
I got it from you once upon a time.

Well of course you got a black PRINCESS from me, "once upon a time".
LOL! ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 02-09-2007, 08:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi..

Really..? Google said "pickerel" were a pike species..! :-)
--
cu
Marco

Old 02-09-2007, 08:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:

Have to, no. There are benefits though, like quicker start up in the spring
that might make it worth it. I'd recommend at least an air stone. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

So worth the investment then.......better get surfing for the best price
- I'm considering one of the Hozelocks with the built in UV - not sure
of the volume of the pond yet but I think it will be the 1000 gall model
that I'll need - and if not, I am yet to find a problem with
overfiltering....

Gill

Old 02-09-2007, 10:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

My google shows both pickerel weed and pickerel fish. The one being used
for filtration is the weed. The fish would just add bioload, and probably
reduce fish populations.

--
RichToyBox
Zone 7A/B Virginia
"Marco Schwarz" wrote in message
Hi..

Lillies, pickerel, parrot's feather, and lizard's tounge.
Just make sure the roots are well below freezing level.

Really..? Google said "pickerel" were a pike species..! :-)
--
cu
Marco

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Project update: New Bed -- Phase 1 done! JNJ Gardening 0 08-07-2003 04:20 AM
project 2003 update John Rutz Ponds 3 10-06-2003 12:56 AM
project 20023 update John Rutz Ponds 4 29-04-2003 06:08 PM