Old 08-09-2007, 07:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Turtles and ponds

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message
I'm thinking of a low fence, one I can step over with ease, how high can
turtles climb?

In desperation they'll keep climbing. If they fall back onto rocks they can
crack their shells. That's why we too Fred to the lake when we saw he
climbed the support fence and was caught in the net.

Why safe? What eats turtles besides alligators? I can see some critters
getting baby turtles, but it would seem like a real chore as they get
bigger.

Herons, some snakes, cranes, dogs, racoons......

--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 10-09-2007, 11:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In , on 09/04/07
at 05:31 PM, Galen Hekhuis said:

Do water turtles crawl away, and do you have to keep them in cages or are
water turtles more like fish, in that they pretty much stay in the pond?
I don't know much about turtles, but I did find in my brief skimming that
some turtles need to eat vegetables, and in the wild they often consume
duckweed. (Maybe the alligator ate the turtles that were eating the
duckweed in back.)

Usually, they'll crawl away.

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

Rate This Thread: