Old 24-09-2007, 02:01 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Fall chores

First day of fall and everyone must be outside working? I'm stuck inside
with a nasty cold. :-( I wanted to do a quick clean on my lily pond
pre-filter, but that will have to wait.... and even the pre-filter of the
koi pond is due.s Only about 3 weekends left before I start buttoning
things up for winter. gasp

How many weekends for the rest of you? (Don't forget to state area
reporting from.) ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website~ jan

Old 24-09-2007, 02:23 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Same location as Jan. Our first frost date is
Oct. 15 (I'm pretty darn sure). Usually we
have most of October to do stuff. DH is finally
done with back to back to back scouting
obligations so can get a start on his *list*.
Both college kids gone back to school.
Was hoping to see more fall leaves over the
pass to Seattle, some colour. Saw one blue
heron winging his way across the sky.
No wild salmon in the store today so the
taste test is postponed, we'll try next weekend.
k :-)

Old 24-09-2007, 03:31 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
First day of fall and everyone must be outside working? I'm stuck inside
with a nasty cold. :-( I wanted to do a quick clean on my lily pond
pre-filter, but that will have to wait.... and even the pre-filter of the
koi pond is due.s Only about 3 weekends left before I start buttoning
things up for winter. gasp

How many weekends for the rest of you? (Don't forget to state area
reporting from.) ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website~ jan

Ack, still plumbing the new pond. The plan was to get the drain and skimmer
finished and contemplate the liner next weekend. But I didn't get the
skimmer pipe in the pond wall or the cement poured for the bottom drain. I
only got the pipes glued up and the gate valve installed. I did get the
valve box done for the gate valve, but I don't like it, so I need a plan B.

I normally cover the fish around November 1 at the latest, but they came in
three weeks ago when I tore out the old pond. I was hoping to have it all
done by October 15th at the latest, but I don't see that happening. The
landscaping will have to wait for spring, as there's very little light in
the evenings now.

Zone 5A.

--

I hate that flexible PVC BTW, it's very stiff (still curved from the
pallet), hard to cut and a VERY tight fit in the fittings.

Old 24-09-2007, 03:31 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Here in northern Florida we aren't worrying about frosts quite yet. We
generally only get about three blasts of cold air, during which times
the temperature can (and has) dipped below freezing at night. I've
seen it happen here as early as Thanksgiving, or in late November.
But sometimes it holds off here and we get to close out the year with
no freezing temperatures. I've been told it has gotten cold enough
here for ice to form in years past, but I've never seen any on the
ponds since I've been here. I used to live in Hawaii, and here, like
there, gardening is mostly pruning. There, like here, there are four
seasons, make no mistake about it, but winter here just isn't very
cold. Harmful bugs and critters just don't die off in the winter here
like they do farther up north. It's a mixed blessing to be sure, but
as for me, I'd rather deal with the bugs than shovel snow.
--
Galen Hekhuis
"Mistakes were made"

Old 24-09-2007, 10:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
How many weekends for the rest of you? (Don't forget to state area
reporting from.) ~ jan

======================
I cleaned and refilled my 3 barrels the other day. Each contains one water
lily. Next is the 150g in ground smallest pond. There are a few partial
water changes and that's it until it's time to remove the filters and put
them in storage. That wont be until Nov. some time.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 24-09-2007, 12:59 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Jackson is still growing things, although the nights are getting
cooler. The lilies are sending fewer large leaves and the flowers are
scarce. Jim will not clean out the veggie filters until the frosts
begin to kill the hyacinth. That is about all we do for winter.

Phyllis

Old 24-09-2007, 05:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 19:01:45 CST, ~ jan wrote:

How many weekends for the rest of you? (Don't forget to state area
reporting from.) ~ jan

I don't plan to shut down or rearrange filters in the koi pond. I've
been tossing lotus foliage for about a month and will have to make
some plant changes in the hot tub/goldfish pond when the frost kills
the water hyacinth and iris tops. I dread that, but it may not occur
until December, or later if this is a warm winter as projected. I'm
willing to wait.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 25-09-2007, 01:37 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
First day of fall and everyone must be outside working? I'm stuck
inside
with a nasty cold. :-( I wanted to do a quick clean on my lily pond
pre-filter, but that will have to wait.... and even the pre-filter
of the
koi pond is due.s Only about 3 weekends left before I start
buttoning
things up for winter. gasp

How many weekends for the rest of you? (Don't forget to state area
reporting from.) ~ jan
--------------
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website~ jan

I'm actually going to do some clean-up
this morning in my in-ground pond, the
one not filtered except with lots of
plants. I have goldfish in there (by
accident) but they seem to do ok.

One of our local weather guys made
the following gaff: "Spring weather is
on the horizon." Um, that would be
FALL weather, skippy! We're still in
the 90s during the days, 70s at night.
Still warm enough to swim in my
vinyl above ground pool. So I'm still
feeding the fish. We might get in the
50s by November, if we're lucky.

And I just got over my cold, so I
sympathize with Jan.

Gail
near San Antonio TX USA
Zone 8

Old 25-09-2007, 04:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

OMG, you are right. we got maybe until November and I am up to my ears in exams and
midterm grades staring at me. It has been so hot I ran the ac last night so I could
sleep. it is fooling me into thinking once again maybe winter wont come. actually
the leaves are JUST beginning to drop, they havent even changed color yet. my figs
are just ripening now. I have so much to do outside... sigh. Ingrid

Old 25-09-2007, 07:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

And I just got over my cold, so I
sympathize with Jan.
Gail

Thanks, still bad today, seems it moved from stuffy nose to stuffed up
ears. Headache, poor sleep. arrgh! I haven't been this sick in a long
time. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: