Old 23-12-2007, 10:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default The best to you all at Christmas

After a few frezing days and some at 75 degrees, our pond has finally
decided that it is time to sleep.

Our family will be here in spurts as the kids now have in-laws.

May your ponds sleep peacefully and may you all enjoy a relaxed
Christmas!

Phyllis and Jim

Old 24-12-2007, 02:44 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Peanuts out for the squirrel, hole open in the ice for
all critters to drink, tasty bones will be in dog's stockings,
fridge stocked for all college and high school students.
Toasty wishes for warm and cozy holidays.
k :-)

Old 24-12-2007, 02:19 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:
After a few frezing days and some at 75 degrees, our pond has finally
decided that it is time to sleep.

Our family will be here in spurts as the kids now have in-laws.

May your ponds sleep peacefully and may you all enjoy a relaxed
Christmas!

Phyllis and Jim

Temp here is holding up well..........6deg C atm. Fish just 'sitting' in the
water in a disinterested way.
My Christmas greeting.................
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/xmas2007/xmas2007

--
Pete C
London UK

Old 24-12-2007, 05:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 08:19:26 CST, "Pete C" wrote:

My Christmas greeting.................
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/xmas2007/xmas2007

That is VERY nice Pete. :-)

The shopping is done, the cooking gets started today. The guys still have
their final run out and about... and to the hardware store regarding
they're latest project that went awry.

Installing a hot water heater here requires strapping it down by code. They
drilled right into a pipe going to the toilet on the other side of the
wall. Not an easy fix, meant removing the built in lavatory, disconnecting
plumbing, removing wallboard, etc. And a few tools had to be purchased OF
COURSE! ;-) Thank goodness that is just the extra bathroom.

Otherwise, my folks coming for the day, and DIL will be here for dinner.
Her Xmas present and MINE will come in January when DS returns from his 2nd
tour in Iraq.

Hoping everyone has a wonderful, relaxing holiday! Remember to come back
here and report what Santa brought you, especially if pond/garden related.
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 24-12-2007, 06:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

My Christmas greeting.................
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/xmas2007/xmas2007

That is VERY nice Pete. :-)

Thank you. I apologise for 'British troops', I wasn't thinking. Of course, I
should have included your lads and others too.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 24-12-2007, 06:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:
The guys still have
their final run out and about... and to the hardware store regarding
they're latest project that went awry.

Installing a hot water heater here requires strapping it down by code. They
drilled right into a pipe going to the toilet on the other side of the
wall. Not an easy fix, meant removing the built in lavatory, disconnecting
plumbing, removing wallboard, etc. And a few tools had to be purchased OF
COURSE! ;-) Thank goodness that is just the extra bathroom.

This makes me glad in a way. Shows that I am not the only klutz on the
planet. But I also make MANY trips to the hardware store before a
project is finished.

Happy Holidays.

Chip

Old 24-12-2007, 09:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Dec 23, 3:46*pm, Phyllis and Jim wrote:
After a few frezing days and some at 75 degrees, our pond has finally
decided that it is time to sleep.

Our family will be here in spurts as the kids now have in-laws.

May your ponds sleep peacefully and may you all enjoy a relaxed
Christmas!

Phyllis and Jim

The ammonia level in my pondis still to high and I don't know why!

Old 24-12-2007, 11:19 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 12:32:13 CST, Chip wrote:

~ jan wrote:
The guys still have
their final run out and about... and to the hardware store regarding
they're latest project that went awry.

Installing a hot water heater here requires strapping it down by code. They
drilled right into a pipe going to the toilet on the other side of the
wall. Not an easy fix, meant removing the built in lavatory, disconnecting
plumbing, removing wallboard, etc. And a few tools had to be purchased OF
COURSE! ;-) Thank goodness that is just the extra bathroom.

This makes me glad in a way. Shows that I am not the only klutz on the
planet. But I also make MANY trips to the hardware store before a
project is finished.

Happy Holidays.

My motto is: Measure twice, cut once

Go buy more lumber

Old 24-12-2007, 11:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Pete C" wrote in message
Phyllis and Jim wrote:
After a few frezing days and some at 75 degrees, our pond has
finally
decided that it is time to sleep.

Our family will be here in spurts as the kids now have in-laws.

May your ponds sleep peacefully and may you all enjoy a relaxed
Christmas!

Phyllis and Jim

Temp here is holding up well..........6deg C atm. Fish just
'sitting' in the water in a disinterested way.
My Christmas greeting.................
http://www.blackberrymoon.co.uk/xmas2007/xmas2007

--
Pete C
London UK

Our temps are still bouncing around,
and fish seem resigned to the variations.
I expect another mild winter, not too
many nights below freezing.

Best of the season (and healthy fish)
to you all.

Gail
near San Antonio TX USA

Old 24-12-2007, 11:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 12:31:38 CST, "Pete C" wrote:

Thank you. I apologise for 'British troops', I wasn't thinking. Of course, I
should have included your lads and others too.

I didn't even notice. :-)

Okay... do I get the northern ponder prize for working around my pond a
couple hours on Christmas eve? We had sun, light wind and it hit about 46*F
today. Since the Xmas shopping is done, and I'm not doing an overabundance
of cooking this holiday (keeping it simple) I went out and vacced the
leaves off the screens and around the ponds. Amazingly filled a lawn and
leaf bag doing so. Do I win, do I, huh? Do I? :-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 24-12-2007, 11:43 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Ammonia high in pond

On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 15:58:43 CST, chatnoir
wrote:

The ammonia level in my pondis still to high and I don't know why!

Inside or outside pond? Have you tried Amquel or similar product? If so,
are you using a test kit that will test correctly when using said product?
What's the temp of the pond, KH, pH? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 25-12-2007, 08:00 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

The ammonia level in my pondis still to high and I don't know why!

Inside or outside pond?

Outside!

Have you tried Amquel or similar product?

Yes

If so,
are you using a test kit that will test correctly when using said product?

Actually no!!

What's the temp of the pond,

Iced over except fpr the one spot I deep open!

KH, pH?

KH I don't test for!

ph = 7.5

~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:www.jjspond.us

Old 25-12-2007, 07:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 02:00:44 CST, chatnoir
wrote:

The ammonia level in my pondis still to high and I don't know why!

Inside or outside pond?

Outside!

Have you tried Amquel or similar product?

Yes

If so, are you using a test kit that will test correctly when using said product?

Actually no!!

Then you don't really know if you're using enough. ;-)

What's the temp of the pond,

Iced over except fpr the one spot I deep open!

If it is that cold, my guess would be you've got something decomposing.
When did you stop feeding?

KH I don't test for!
ph = 7.5

My suggestion would be to get a salicylate test kit for the ammonia and a
KH test kit that will show if your pH is stable. Let the water warm to room
temp before testing.

Small water changes will always help. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 25-12-2007, 10:07 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

The ammonia level in my pondis still to high and I don't know why!
Inside or outside pond?

Outside!

Have you tried Amquel or similar product?

Yes

If so, are you using a test kit that will test correctly when using said product?

Actually no!!

Then you don't really know if you're using enough. ;-)

True!

What's the temp of the pond,

Iced over except fpr the one spot I deep open!

If it is that cold, my guess would be you've got something decomposing.
When did you stop feeding?

Well, essentially the end of Oct! Was a very warm fall! The wild
fish stopped eating before that! Rounded up all but one of the frogs
to bring in during winter! Thought the cats go it! But it could have
died in the pond! Gave the pond a good check but it could have dug
down into one of the big plants!

KH I don't test for!
ph = 7.5

My suggestion would be to get a salicylate test kit for the ammonia and a
KH test kit that will show if your pH is stable. Let the water warm to room
temp before testing.

Small water changes will always help. *~ jan

Do that throughout the winter

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:www.jjspond.us

Old 26-12-2007, 11:17 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 16:07:14 CST, chatnoir
wrote:

Small water changes will always help. *~ jan

Do that throughout the winter

It is highly recommended now days. I remember when I started ponding, water
changes 1/month, and only on nice days during the winter. Then it became
twice/month, then every week was the recommendation and now they're saying
if you can do a slow trickle thru 24/7 that is the optimum.

Currently that's what I've got going on.... a leak somewhere, and I'm
pretty sure it is at the small waterfall between ponds. I did some work on
it before covering the ponds, and it stopped for a few days... but
something must have moved again. So I'm adding water every 3rd day to make
up the lost. Thankfully DS set up the hose to self drain, I just have to
remember to set the timer in the house, since the faucet timers I use
during the season can't take the cold. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: