Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-02-2008, 03:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Getting rid of fish

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 23:04:08 CST, "old dirtbeard"
wrote:

Perhaps somewhat tangential here, but within the subject line - how does one
get rid of fish? Our gold fish are reproducing at what for us is astonishing
rates. I would think that in another six months, we will need to cull them.

I have an e-mail list over 200 strong, and when people have fish to sale or
give away (even the common goldfish) someone always wants them. I
personally stick to the more uncommon goldfish, much easier to sell or
trade with the local fish store for credit.

I thought about netting them and releasing them into a lake (we are in
SoCal), but that could be a mess.

Highly illegal, and in California probably punishable by death,
imprisonment & fines, and probably in that order. ;-)

I thought about contacting PetCo

To my knowledge neither PetCo or PetsMart will take "used" fish. Look for a
petstore that isn't a chain, they're usually real good about taking
hobbyist's extras.

Ideally though, if they're just common goldfish, as someone suggested,
mosquito fish will take care of the eggs and you won't have a fry problem.
~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Getting Rid of Thrips Shiva Roses 8 08-04-2003 02:32 PM
Getting rid of moles Chris Haney North Carolina 7 07-04-2003 02:44 AM
Getting rid of ivy Karen C Australia 3 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
getting rid of vines Elizabeth Jones Gardening 2 19-03-2003 03:44 PM
Getting rid of ivy? Andy Gardening 2 17-02-2003 06:03 PM