Old 22-02-2008, 06:35 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default New Pond Question

I built my pond in October of 2007, by the time it was ready for fish it
was too cold so I decided to wait until spring. I initially filled it
only 2/3 now with rain and snow ect; Its pretty much filled up. There
are some leaves in it as I'm sure most pond do this time of year. My
question is this: In the spring after the pond has warmed up, and the
leaves are cleaned out, what do I need to do in order to add fish?
After fish are added, I realize the pond will cycle much like a fish
tank (ammonia, nitrites , nitrates). I guess what I'm looking for is to
be pointed in the right direction.
Thanks

Old 24-02-2008, 03:18 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Feb 22, 1:35 pm, Peter Pan wrote:
I built my pond in October of 2007, by the time it was ready for fish it
was too cold so I decided to wait until spring. I initially filled it
only 2/3 now with rain and snow ect; Its pretty much filled up. There
are some leaves in it as I'm sure most pond do this time of year. My
question is this: In the spring after the pond has warmed up, and the
leaves are cleaned out, what do I need to do in order to add fish?
After fish are added, I realize the pond will cycle much like a fish
tank (ammonia, nitrites , nitrates). I guess what I'm looking for is to
be pointed in the right direction.
Thanks

I would stock it with a Kamakazi fish and see if it lives. The water
will have been there long enough to have lost chlorine if you filled
it from a chlorinated source. You might run a piece of quilting
batting thru it, like seining and see how much small particulate
matter you can eliminate after removing the big leaves.
If the kamakazi fish does well, go for it, and keep an eye on your
pond values, ph, ammonia, nitrates etc. It sounds like you have a
handle on pond cycling so this will be just common sense for you.
We run pretty simply here, others may have more sophisticated ideas.
Good Luck with it!!
Nan in DE.

Old 24-02-2008, 07:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 12:35:17 CST, Peter Pan wrote:

I built my pond in October of 2007, by the time it was ready for fish it
was too cold so I decided to wait until spring. I initially filled it
only 2/3 now with rain and snow ect; Its pretty much filled up. There
are some leaves in it as I'm sure most pond do this time of year. My
question is this: In the spring after the pond has warmed up, and the
leaves are cleaned out, what do I need to do in order to add fish?
After fish are added, I realize the pond will cycle much like a fish
tank (ammonia, nitrites , nitrates). I guess what I'm looking for is to
be pointed in the right direction.
Thanks

Will you be adding plants to it?
What are your fish plans?
Koi or goldfish?
What kind of filtration did you decide on? (In pond, out of pond, upflow
downflow, etc.?) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 24-02-2008, 11:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:
[...]

I will be adding plants in the spring ( not sure what) as well as fish.
I'm weighing the pros and cons of both Koi and GF (Not together) I'm
leaning towards koi at this point. I have a Tetra PUV 4000 with UV
pressure filter (out of pond). I'll be adding a skimmer also this year
to help with debris. Any suggestions on what else to buy would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 25-02-2008, 01:34 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 17:23:32 CST, Peter Pan wrote:

Will you be adding plants to it?
What are your fish plans?
Koi or goldfish?
What kind of filtration did you decide on? (In pond, out of pond, upflow
downflow, etc.?) ~ jan

I will be adding plants in the spring ( not sure what) as well as fish.
I'm weighing the pros and cons of both Koi and GF (Not together) I'm
leaning towards koi at this point. I have a Tetra PUV 4000 with UV
pressure filter (out of pond). I'll be adding a skimmer also this year
to help with debris. Any suggestions on what else to buy would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Since you're thinking koi, I highly recommend when it gets warm to set up a
Quarantine tank (stock tank or kiddy pool). Buy 3 koi and put in them in
the Q-tank, leave them there while you get pond planted and pond temps go
up, over the next several weeks. Once they appear healthy put 2 in pond,
buy 2 more koi, put in Q-tank, wait several weeks, add the old & new to
pond, keep one new in Q-tank, buy 2 more koi, repeat process. This makes
cycling the pond hardly noticeable, you will have to watch the cycle on the
stock tank till it adjusts.

Buy test kits, pH, KH, Ammonia (salicylate type) & Nitrite kits and a
thermometer for both Q-tank and pond. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: