Old 23-05-2008, 04:03 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default raccoon war

On May 16, 3:38 pm, kathy wrote:
Okay, did some more research and we don't even
want this animal in the yard at all. Too much disease
in the poop and not good for people with impaired
immune systems to get anywhere near it. So DH
is trying to find the animal control place to rent
a humane trap. Doing all sorts of research about
how to properly handle trapped animal and remain
safe. Will also move the dog food into the house
and attempt to work around it (our house was not
build for anything as silly as storage!).

k :-0

Call your local Game and Fish to see what the law is! And I have
found that raccoons. being as greedy as they are. are easy to trap in
the live traps! Course, I have my pond enclosed, so that they never
got into the pond! The grapes went of course!

Old 23-05-2008, 02:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

chatnoir wrote:

Call your local Game and Fish to see what the law is! And I have
found that raccoons. being as greedy as they are. are easy to trap in
the live traps! Course, I have my pond enclosed, so that they never
got into the pond! The grapes went of course!

Of course. My vineyard-owning friend manages to keep them out with a
two-strand electric fence. I'm continually amazed that this actually keeps
them out - I'd expect Raccoons to boost each other over it, or something
equally inventive - but it seems to work.
--
derek

Old 24-05-2008, 03:00 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Rats! Trap tripped again last night. But no resident
in the trap. And none of the bait missing - marshmallow
and dog food.
k :-)

Old 24-05-2008, 04:10 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

kathy wrote:
Rats! Trap tripped again last night. But no resident
in the trap. And none of the bait missing - marshmallow
and dog food.
k :-)

Peanut butter and raw chicken guts.

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Old 24-05-2008, 02:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On May 23, 9:10 pm, Nick Cramer wrote:
kathy wrote:
Rats! Trap tripped again last night. But no resident
in the trap. And none of the bait missing - marshmallow
and dog food.
k :-)

So, this is a havaheart live trap? If they can reach in and get the
food, this could be a problem! I only let one end open! So, the
raccoon has to go the full length of the trap to get the food! Put
the food in the far end and in the middle secured down so that the
raccoon has to enter the trap and go the full length to get the food!

Peanut butter and raw chicken guts

I find cat food works best for me!

..

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War. The

forgotten. Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~

Old 24-05-2008, 03:45 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 23 May 2008 23:10:48 EDT, Nick Cramer
wrote:

kathy wrote:
Rats! Trap tripped again last night. But no resident
in the trap. And none of the bait missing - marshmallow
and dog food.
k :-)

Peanut butter and raw chicken guts.

I may be the only one here who doesn't raise chickens, but the last
live chicken I butchered was Thanksgiving 1962. It was delicious and
I didn't raise that one either, it was a gift from a Texas farmer who
fattened several for his family and friends. However I find the cat
food in small tins (Actually aluminum container with a pull top.)
works well for cat sized mammals including racoon and opossum and
isn't nearly so messy as guts.

I've also had several tripped and empty trap experiences. It seemed
the treadle was tripping when the outer cage of the trap was being
explored, but a little tuning prevented that until the treadle was
actually stepped on as the critter reached for the bait. Cats always
ignored the bait once they realized they were trapped, but several
critters seemed happy to have reached the meal and cleaned the
container.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 07-06-2008, 10:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Rats chase squirrels off So far I haven't found a way to chase the rats
off... I bought some electronic noise makers that are supposed to repel all
rodents - I'm not noticing any difference.

I soon learned to build my ponds with the sides going straight down for at
least a foot - this keeps raccoons out of trouble. Of course I think
distemper has wiped out most of our raccoon population. Humans and their
domesticated animals are hell on G~d's creation.

wrote in message
.com...
raccoons are like squirrels. you really dont want to "move" them out
anywhere else.
in Wisconsin I think it is illegal. they have to be killed. I put the
trap, with the
squirrel in it in, in our spa filled with water. they drown fast. our
house has
been under attack by the squirrels for 3 years. we have tried everything
to evict
them but they chewed thru aluminum flashing to get back in. I have now
trapped and
killed 2 adults and 3 young squirrels. I will continue to try and trap
every single
squirrel comes near our house (I mean we are in the city!!!). the only
way to get
relief from them is to kill every one that has a memory of a "free" meal.
Ingrid

Old 08-06-2008, 01:16 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

D Kat wrote:

Rats chase squirrels off So far I haven't found a way to chase the rats
off... I bought some electronic noise makers that are supposed to repel all
rodents - I'm not noticing any difference.

Noise makers don't work, nor do those things that supposedly emit high
frequency sound waves. Basically, the animals just get used to the sound.

I finally gave battle to rats last winter when they started eating my
citrus. I had tried the snap traps, but the population was just out of
control (probably because we feed birds).

I have always been very cautious about using bait because of concern for
secondary kill. So, I took some 4" diameter, 3 foot long pieces of PVC and
placed them in a few locations in my yard where I knew the rats traveled.

I bought a product called "Real-Kill". It is a neurotoxin, so basically, a
rat eats it and is dead within 8-12 hours from just the one feeding.

Every night, just before dark, I would put a cube in each tube. In the
morning I would go and remove any uneaten bait - that only happened twice,
the rest of the time the bait had been consumed.

My problem went away in a week and I am fairly confident that there was very
limited, if any, secondary kill. I assumed (yes, I know) that because the
rat died over night in its hole, that nothing else would be able to kill and
eat it. Also, if I remember correctly, the LD 50 was something like 8
ounces, so if something did eat the infected rats, they would have to eat a
lot of them before they got sick.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

raccoon problems cr Ponds 6 16-05-2019 06:15 AM
Raccoon Repellent bobkiely Ponds 93 13-08-2003 10:22 PM
Raccoon visit #2 bobkiely Ponds 17 07-07-2003 02:47 AM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 3 24-02-2003 11:10 PM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 2 24-02-2003 10:29 PM