Old 21-06-2008, 05:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Ideal veggie filter size

That makes sense to me. Our winter does not kill off the celery, so
it keeps right on working for us. Link to April pic of berm ponds.
Hyacinth is just starting, but the parrots feather and water celery
are growing fine. http://picasaweb.google.com/jimandph...74841409845810

Jim

Old 21-06-2008, 07:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Chip,

I like Jim's idea of having a bottom drain you can flush, easier than
packing a shop vac over to it. Especially if you're not thinking of having
a pre-filter before it. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 22-06-2008, 02:47 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Pipe Boot Ideal veggie filter size

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 12:00:27 EDT, Chip wrote:

I don't know who 1st gave me this site, maybe from this list. It shows
an almost foolproof and easy method to put a watertight pipe through a
liner.
http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51520
Chip

This is a pipe boot, doesn't work so well for a bottom drain that you need
flush to the bottom. :-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 27-06-2008, 09:21 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

yeah.... my pond in winter http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/winters/winter.htm
althoooooo... this last winter we left the water in the veggie filter, some of the
celery and cyperus in the filter, even a vine in there. the cyperus died, but the
vine!!!! survived under the plastic and the celery really took off.

unhappily, I think our Texas dawn has bit the dust... or I should say the koi have
bit the Texas dawn. pulled it out to repot and something starts and is snipped off.
am thinking it may not be worth it to have the lily in there, except it looks good to
have the light filtering up thru the lily as the koi glide thru . ah well. wonder
if silk lilies would survive??? Ingrid

Old 29-06-2008, 12:01 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 16:21:33 EDT, wrote:

yeah.... my pond in winter
http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/winters/winter.htm
althoooooo... this last winter we left the water in the veggie filter, some of the
celery and cyperus in the filter, even a vine in there. the cyperus died, but the
vine!!!! survived under the plastic and the celery really took off.

unhappily, I think our Texas dawn has bit the dust... or I should say the koi have
bit the Texas dawn. pulled it out to repot and something starts and is snipped off.
am thinking it may not be worth it to have the lily in there, except it looks good to
have the light filtering up thru the lily as the koi glide thru . ah well. wonder
if silk lilies would survive??? Ingrid

What you could try is getting a tote tub ($5-$7 @ Home Depot) put the
lily there and get it going really well and then put it back in the koi
pond. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 01-07-2008, 10:20 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jun 21, 8:53 am, wrote:
putting a hole in my filter or my pond that could some day leak would give me such
nightmares (OK, so I have a very active imagination) that I keep think I SHOULD do
that, but I just cant bring myself to actually do it. sigh. Ingrid

Do it. You may regret it at some point but then again, you will find
the leak, fix it and be a happy camper! :-) I know!
W. Dale

Old 01-07-2008, 10:20 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jul 1, 7:09 am, wrote:
that is a good idea. I wonder if it is too far gone? Ingrid

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 19:01:27 EDT, ~ jan wrote:
What you could try is getting a tote tub ($5-$7 @ Home Depot) put the
lily there and get it going really well and then put it back in the koi
pond. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:www.jjspond.us

Probably not. Especially if it is a hardy plant. I have had some
plants that were eaten down to nothing but root and crown; took them
out of the pond and put them in my bio-mech filter and they are
leafing out again. Worth a try.
W. Dale

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Reactor size VS Tank Size? chaz Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 18-05-2006 02:33 PM
Veggie Filter? Sam Hopkins Ponds 6 19-11-2003 01:42 AM
Veggie Filter size Wilson Ponds 11 02-07-2003 03:20 PM
Veggie Filter size Wilson Ponds 0 01-07-2003 11:20 PM
Sun and the Veggie Filter BenignVanilla Ponds 1 30-01-2003 10:12 PM