Old 23-06-2008, 09:20 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default PLants for stream

I've built a small stream flowing into the pond. It's fed buy the fountain
pump. I'd like some bare roots plants in the stream, (suggestions?) but I
have a problem. Power for the fountain is on a timer. Living on an estate, I
turm the fountain off at night so as not to annoy neighbours in the summer
with bedroom windows open. Will plants survive in this situation?
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 23-06-2008, 10:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I expect so as you aren't in a really hot climate.

As an alternative you could plant in closed pots so the
water will stay 'in' when the stream shuts down in the
evening.

How many neighbors do you have? You might canvas
them and see if they like the sound of a babbling brook
at night. otoh, energy costs rising and all that.

Do you have fish in the pond? One thing to watch for is
if they start gasping at the surface before dawn. If they
do you need to get some water movement in there, maybe
a welling at the surface as opposed to a bubbler or fountain.

I so want to do a stream someday, keep us posted with
pictures if possible.

k :-)

Old 23-06-2008, 10:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

if it is turned back on before the sun hits the plants they might be ok. I
would try watercress and mint - both are pretty tolerant. you would of
course have to anchor them in some way. donna

Old 24-06-2008, 02:57 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Pete C wrote:
I've built a small stream flowing into the pond. It's fed buy the fountain
pump. I'd like some bare roots plants in the stream, (suggestions?) but I
have a problem. Power for the fountain is on a timer. Living on an estate, I
turm the fountain off at night so as not to annoy neighbours in the summer
with bedroom windows open. Will plants survive in this situation?

Watercress is the best for streams and waterfalls.

I say the hell with the neighbors. Mine sleep better with the 3 pumps
I have going.

Old 24-06-2008, 05:19 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I like the idea of having some form of container to retain water when
the stream is not on.

Jim

Rate This Thread: