Old 03-08-2008, 03:51 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default pond nightmare

Actually goldfish can thrive in the wild.
http://fins.actwin.com/nanf/month.9906/msg00090.html

We've joked for years about the pond police coming over the
back fence to haul off our water hyacinths. Who knows, it
may come to pass! (Thinking about the helicopter that was
flying around here the other day and the water hyacinth I
have blooming on the deck....!)

k :-)

Old 03-08-2008, 02:00 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I am glad/sad that hyacinth are in the native waters here in MS. My
pond does not pose a threat.

Jim

Old 03-08-2008, 03:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Phyllis and Jim wrote:

Grass carp and walking catfish have been examples of foreign animals
wreaking havoc on North American ecosystems.

Neither one is a good example. Walking catfish have had fairly limited
effects, being established in Florida, but _everything_ is invasive in
Florida. They're not afaict established anywhere else.

Grass carp may have been established more widely but it's not clear from a
quick glance at the literature. They've been in the US since the early
60s, and there's no doubt they can denude an area of vegetation, but only
sterile carp are used intentionally, since the 80s. Those 200 lb-ers that
get caught are _old_ fish. Unlike Brown Gobies, it's pretty easy to find
Grass Carp.
--
derek

Old 05-08-2008, 01:58 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 2 Aug 2008 22:51:07 EDT, kathy wrote:

Actually goldfish can thrive in the wild.
http://fins.actwin.com/nanf/month.9906/msg00090.html

We've joked for years about the pond police coming over the
back fence to haul off our water hyacinths. Who knows, it
may come to pass! (Thinking about the helicopter that was
flying around here the other day and the water hyacinth I
have blooming on the deck....!)

k :-)

Since I lowered my population of fish/gallon I can't get them to live, so
I'm not too worried about the lost of WH. In my WG class I told folks, if
you can grow healthy WH, you have too many fish or not enough
filtration.... but more likely too many fish.

Goldfish. We always seems to get new introductions to the Demo Pond.
Naive people just don't get that not only do they put the original pond
habitats at risk, they very well could be killing the pets they "use" to
cherish. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 08-08-2008, 01:56 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

D Kat wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/07/ny... 5070&emc=eta1

Yeah. Those would be a problem if they breed in NY - but I can't tell if
they are actually considered an established invasive species. It suggests
they've actually nipped this source in the bud.
--
derek

Old 11-08-2008, 05:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

kathy wrote:

We've joked for years about the pond police coming over the
back fence to haul off our water hyacinths. Who knows, it
may come to pass! (Thinking about the helicopter that was
flying around here the other day and the water hyacinth I
have blooming on the deck....!)

k :-)

If the helicopter was black, I would shred all evidence. NOW!

Chip

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Millipedes nightmare GrlIntrpted Orchids 6 06-12-2003 03:32 PM
privacy nightmare! walms Gardening 45 19-09-2003 02:50 AM
leylandii nightmare Richard United Kingdom 22 15-07-2003 07:54 PM
Weekend nightmare Kelly Upton Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 28-04-2003 06:44 PM
nightmare John Rutz Ponds 18 10-04-2003 04:20 PM