Old 15-08-2008, 03:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default hyppoxia

It isnt just our ponds!!!!

http://tinyurl.com/6e6c3d

Old 15-08-2008, 06:40 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:
It isnt just our ponds!!!!

http://tinyurl.com/6e6c3d

Mmm, The North Sea seems ok, so my cod and chips is safe
Serously, I have an odd situation with my pond. My O2. Readings are quite
satisfactory.........mainly taken evening when O2 content is highest. Fish
are still gasping at the surface, and 'eating' bubbles from fountain.
When I go to work at 6.30am, they are quite happily swimming around deeper
down, with no gasping.........at the time O2 should be at it's least. I'm
confused. Can anyone suggest another reason for this behavior please??
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 15-08-2008, 06:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

What exactly are the O2 readings?
And is the sun hitting the pond at 6.30am in the
morning but not at night?

k :-)

Old 15-08-2008, 06:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

This article showed up in one of our state's (Washington)
newspapers....

Life’s mysteries are all suddenly crystal clear
THE NEWS TRIBUNE
Published: August 15th, 2008 01:00 AM
Sometimes a living organism is easy on the eyes only after it dies.
Like our Uncle Moe, aka The Warthog, who never looked better than when
they prettied him up for the open-casket funeral.

Likewise Tacoma’s Wapato Lake, where a whoopsy-daisy chemical
treatment a few weeks ago sent all the fish to that giant fry pan in
the sky.

Can’t swim in it without a hazmat suit – as if anyone has for 20 years
– but you gotta love the crystal-clear, subalpine waters!

You’ll find no more carp, but plenty of crap down there. Metro Parks
worker Josh Azinger thinks we should make the most of the improved
visibility with a debris fishing derby. Prizes awarded for the most
trash hooked and hauled to shore.

Now that a car has been found and identified, we predict some of the
world’s great mysteries will be solved.

Other stuff waiting below the surface of the lake:

• Wreckage of nine UFOs reported flying over Mount Rainier in 1947.

• Wreckage of Santa’s sleigh, circa 1977 (when we stopped getting
gifts).

• D.B. Cooper’s sunglasses.

• A Starbucks.

• Penguin chick that went AWOL from Point Defiance Zoo in 2002.

• All the Superfund gunk dredged from the Foss Waterway.

• Unsold Sonics merchandise.

• Sanjaya’s 15 minutes of fame.

Old 15-08-2008, 09:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:40:18 EDT, "Pete C" wrote:

Mmm, The North Sea seems ok, so my cod and chips is safe
Serously, I have an odd situation with my pond. My O2. Readings are quite
satisfactory.........mainly taken evening when O2 content is highest. Fish
are still gasping at the surface, and 'eating' bubbles from fountain.
When I go to work at 6.30am, they are quite happily swimming around deeper
down, with no gasping.........at the time O2 should be at it's least. I'm
confused. Can anyone suggest another reason for this behavior please??

Could be something has compromised the gills, parasites or chemical burn.
What is your water temp when they're gasping? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 15-08-2008, 10:48 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Mmm, The North Sea seems ok, so my cod and chips is safe
Serously, I have an odd situation with my pond. My O2. Readings are
quite satisfactory.........mainly taken evening when O2 content is
highest. Fish are still gasping at the surface, and 'eating' bubbles
from fountain. When I go to work at 6.30am, they are quite happily
swimming around deeper down, with no gasping.........at the time O2
should be at it's least. I'm confused. Can anyone suggest another
reason for this behavior please??

Could be something has compromised the gills, parasites or chemical
burn. What is your water temp when they're gasping? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Water temp atm is 18 C. I spent time tonight looking carefully at the fish.
I can't see anything physically wrong. All my water tests are fine, except
Nitrate is alittle above normal (zero), but nothing to worry about.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 16-08-2008, 08:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Pete C wrote:

wrote:
It isnt just our ponds!!!!

http://tinyurl.com/6e6c3d

Mmm, The North Sea seems ok, so my cod and chips is safe

You've got Cod! We want them back!
--
derek (in Nova Scotia)

Old 16-08-2008, 10:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 17:48:06 EDT, "Pete C" wrote:

Water temp atm is 18 C. I spent time tonight looking carefully at the fish.
I can't see anything physically wrong. All my water tests are fine, except
Nitrate is alittle above normal (zero), but nothing to worry about.

That's about 64F, so there should be plenty of O2 in the water.
What's your KH?

Perhaps a temporary spike in ammonia fried them.... but I'm thinking you
might want to check their gills closely. Should be cherry red. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread: