Old 28-09-2008, 01:20 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default water hyacinths

I have a Skippy filter loaded with Water Hyacinths which serves a 3500
gal pond. I live in Dallas, Texas where it doesn't freeze until mid
Dec. Do i have to do anything to winterize these plants? Does a freeze
kill them?

Old 28-09-2008, 01:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

robJ wrote:

I have a Skippy filter loaded with Water Hyacinths which serves a 3500
gal pond. I live in Dallas, Texas where it doesn't freeze until mid
Dec. Do i have to do anything to winterize these plants? Does a freeze
kill them?

You bet. Actually, it doesn't even take freezing, but freezing will
definitely kill them. I've never managed to keep them alive through our
long Canadian winters, but if you don't freeze until December, you can
probably manage to keep them in any well lit indoor location. They might
actually do better in wet soil, than just in water.
--
derek

Old 28-09-2008, 01:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

robJ wrote:
I have a Skippy filter loaded with Water Hyacinths which serves a 3500
gal pond. I live in Dallas, Texas where it doesn't freeze until mid
Dec. Do i have to do anything to winterize these plants? Does a freeze
kill them?

Hi,
Assuming you're not just joking you are in violation of Texas law.
http://www.ntwgs.org/articles/illegalAquatics.html says:
/quote
The State of Texas doesn't just frown on the possession of harmful or
potentially harmful exotic plants. It is illegal to posses these plants
in Texas. Possession of any prohibited plant species is a Class B Parks
and Wildlife Code Misdemeanor punishable by

* a fine of not less than $200 nor more than $2000,
* a jail term not to exceed 180 days, or
* both a fine AND imprisonment.

Each individual plant of a prohibited species constitutes a separate
violation. The law applies to everyone: aquatic plant producers and
distributors, garden centers, pond supply stores, pet stores, and
individual pondkeepers. So if Joe Ponder is caught with 10 water
hyacinth in his backyard pond, that would be 10 separate violations,
with potential fines totaling $20,000.
/unquote
Get a compost pile or a lawyer.
HTH -_- how

--
no NEWS is good

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Any Tricks For Wintering Water Hyacinths and Water Lettuce Inside? Mud Ponds 10 13-12-2005 04:33 PM
Water Hyacinths david williams Ponds 0 22-05-2004 03:08 PM
Keeping water hyacinths out of skimmers Remydog Ponds 8 13-05-2004 06:06 PM
Water Hyacinths ken Ponds (alternative) 15 02-09-2003 01:02 PM
Water Hyacinths ~ jan Ponds 0 30-03-2003 02:33 AM