Old 21-10-2008, 03:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Goldfish Q

I have a question regarding goldfish behavior. Back in May I put about
a dozon goldfish in my pond (small pond, about 15'x8'x2' deep) I took
them out and put them in a 30 gallon tank in my house for the winter,
they seem to love the aerator (Swimming up and down in the bubbles the
they freak out and fly around the tank (flipping out of the water etc)

My question is...

Is this normal?

Old 22-10-2008, 12:46 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Joel wrote:
I have a question regarding goldfish behavior. Back in May I put about
a dozon goldfish in my pond (small pond, about 15'x8'x2' deep) I took
them out and put them in a 30 gallon tank in my house for the winter,
they seem to love the aerator (Swimming up and down in the bubbles the
they freak out and fly around the tank (flipping out of the water etc)

My question is...

Is this normal?

depending on the size of the GF you may have too many in the tank. I'd
also check the flow of the aeration as well as the water temp

Old 22-10-2008, 03:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Joel" wrote in message
I have a question regarding goldfish behavior. Back in May I put about
a dozon goldfish in my pond (small pond, about 15'x8'x2' deep) I took
them out and put them in a 30 gallon tank in my house for the winter,
they seem to love the aerator (Swimming up and down in the bubbles the
they freak out and fly around the tank (flipping out of the water etc)

My question is...

Is this normal?

========================How high is the ammonia and or Nitrite levels in the tank? 30g is on the

small side for 12 goldfish.

--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 23-10-2008, 12:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 10:11:44 EDT, Joel wrote:

I have a question regarding goldfish behavior. Back in May I put about
a dozon goldfish in my pond (small pond, about 15'x8'x2' deep) I took
them out and put them in a 30 gallon tank in my house for the winter,
they seem to love the aerator (Swimming up and down in the bubbles the
they freak out and fly around the tank (flipping out of the water etc)

My question is...
Is this normal?

If your water quality is okay and your filter is mature, they'll settle
down. Sometimes going from a pond to an open sided glass aquarium is pretty
freaking. Why most of us humans close drapes at night. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 23-10-2008, 04:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

too many GF, too little water. what you describe is classic behavior in toxic water
conditions. start changing water. what are you doing for filtration? It might be
better for your GF to get a 150 gallon rubbermaid tub in the basement, hang a light
and build some kind of veggie filter down there to keep the water clean.
http://weloveteaching.com/mypond/VF/veggie_filter.html

keep it cool and only feed a couple times a week, lightly. But you do need to clean
GF up when bringing them inside from a pond.
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/c...m%20the%20pond
Ingrid

Old 27-10-2008, 02:19 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Oct 22, 10:30 am, "ReelMcKoi" wrote:
"Joel" wrote in message

I have a question regarding goldfish behavior. Back in May I put about
a dozon goldfish in my pond (small pond, about 15'x8'x2' deep) I took
them out and put them in a 30 gallon tank in my house for the winter,
they seem to love the aerator (Swimming up and down in the bubbles the
they freak out and fly around the tank (flipping out of the water etc)

My question is...

Is this normal?

How high is the ammonia and or Nitrite levels in the tank? 30g is on t

he

small side for 12 goldfish.

--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.
rec.ponder since late 1996.
Zone 6. Middle TN USA

Ammonia and Nitrite levels are fine.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Big bumps on some goldfish David Glover Ponds 5 24-03-2003 08:56 PM
Goldfish died Priscilla McCullough Ponds (alternative) 1 11-03-2003 07:12 PM
new 125g natural sunlight goldfish aquarium s g Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 06-03-2003 04:03 AM
Flying Goldfish Ken Ponds 9 18-02-2003 03:51 AM
Goldfish and Koi BenignVanilla Ponds 4 15-02-2003 12:39 AM