Old 19-04-2009, 03:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default testing salt

aquarium pharmaceuticals is evidently not making the salt level test kits for ponds
anymore. anybody know a cheap salt meter model?
Ingrid

Old 20-04-2009, 06:46 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 10:41:25 EDT, wrote:

aquarium pharmaceuticals is evidently not making the salt level test kits for ponds
anymore. anybody know a cheap salt meter model?
Ingrid

http://www.hammockkoifarm.com/koi-care-products.html
Is the salt meter I use. I see they have a pH meter, I thought those had to
be calibrated? Hmm..... ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 25-04-2009, 03:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

easy to calibrate. vinegar and baking soda in water have pretty constant pH.
also, soak shredded red cabbage in 50oC water for 1/2 hour makes pretty good pH
solution. http://weloveteaching.com/0spring/0l...lab-water.html

Ingrid

Old 25-04-2009, 06:11 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 10:47:55 EDT, wrote:

easy to calibrate. vinegar and baking soda in water have pretty constant pH.
also, soak shredded red cabbage in 50oC water for 1/2 hour makes pretty good pH
solution.
http://weloveteaching.com/0spring/0l...lab-water.html

It's not that hard. I got a bunch of pH packets with the meter
(ph3,7,9) so's you could check the whole range. I did for awhile,
found it didn't change much, and so only checked mid-range. That
didn't change much either, so now I "calibrate" rather rarely. I
suppose it might be important if you were trying to keep pH to two
decimal places or something, but generally with plants I'm mostly
concerned with only one digit and maybe (on occasion) I pay attention
to the first decimal, rarely the second. I've had an electric digital
pH gauge for over a year now and find it a lot easier (and probably
more accurate) than anything else.

Old 25-04-2009, 07:36 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 13:11:59 EDT, Galen Hekhuis wrote:

It's not that hard. I got a bunch of pH packets with the meter
(ph3,7,9) so's you could check the whole range. I did for awhile,
found it didn't change much, and so only checked mid-range. That
didn't change much either, so now I "calibrate" rather rarely. I
suppose it might be important if you were trying to keep pH to two
decimal places or something, but generally with plants I'm mostly
concerned with only one digit and maybe (on occasion) I pay attention
to the first decimal, rarely the second. I've had an electric digital
pH gauge for over a year now and find it a lot easier (and probably
more accurate) than anything else.

I just may have to reconsider getting one. Thanks, Solo & Galen. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

pH testing sw United Kingdom 2 02-06-2003 06:08 PM
salt testing kit ???????"s *muffin* Ponds 7 21-05-2003 06:32 AM
Rock Salt vs Pond Salt itten Ponds 1 18-05-2003 01:20 PM
water testing Greg Dalton Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 22-02-2003 10:48 PM
Soil testing kits Pat Kiewicz Edible Gardening 5 24-01-2003 12:18 AM