Old 18-05-2003, 12:44 AM
*muffin*

Default salt testing kit ???????"s

(please don't yell , I know I put this also in another thread,,but thought
I'd combine it..)

I was doing some searching on deja news about salt testing with this kit I
have, & am confused.

I bought the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals kit where you use 2 bottles of
stuff, & drop in the 2nd bottle by 2 drops at a time till it turns DEEP
purple.
now when "I" do it, it will turn a light purple on 2 drops,, then a little
darker on 4 & the deepest on 6 drops ( will not get darker when I add
more),, I have read ( in back posts) where people mention it turns
immediately.......... huh?
what am I doing wrong?

there is no manufacturing date, only lot numbers.

also,, (from before) the level reads at 0.06%,, how does this translate into
the PPT needed for the calculators for salt-to-pond-gallons?
thanks................

Old 18-05-2003, 07:56 PM
~ jan

On Sat, 17 May 2003 19:21:09 -0400, "*muffin*" wrote:

I bought the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals kit where you use 2 bottles of
stuff, & drop in the 2nd bottle by 2 drops at a time till it turns DEEP
purple.
now when "I" do it, it will turn a light purple on 2 drops,, then a little
darker on 4 & the deepest on 6 drops ( will not get darker when I add
more),, I have read ( in back posts) where people mention it turns
immediately.......... huh?

That does sound odd. Have you added any salt to the water as of yet?

there is no manufacturing date, only lot numbers.

The last four digits of the lot number is the date it was manufacturered
on. What are those numbers? Mine says 0202, which means it is suppose to be
good till 02/04, so the manufacturer claims.

also,, (from before) the level reads at 0.06%,, how does this translate into
the PPT needed for the calculators for salt-to-pond-gallons?
thanks................

..06% equals 0.6 ppt, but if you're using Roark's calculator you use the
percent not ppt. ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 19-05-2003, 02:56 AM
*muffin*

?

That does sound odd. Have you added any salt to the water as of yet?

yes I added 10 lbs of salt, to get a begginer reading.

there is no manufacturing date, only lot numbers.

The last four digits of the lot number is the date it was manufacturered
on. What are those numbers? Mine says 0202, which means it is suppose to

be
good till 02/04, so the manufacturer claims.

ok, as soon as I can drag mysef downstairs ,, I'll go look

Muffin can hardly MOVE from rock 'picking' in the river
today..............

Old 20-05-2003, 10:08 PM
*muffin*

there is no manufacturing date, only lot numbers.

The last four digits of the lot number is the date it was manufacturered
on. What are those numbers? Mine says 0202, which means it is suppose to

be
good till 02/04, so the manufacturer claims.

the lot # 4 last are "0300"
how do you find out what these mean?

(lol, this is too much like work,,,)

Old 21-05-2003, 12:56 AM
John Rutz

--

march 2000

John Rutz
Z5 New Mexico

good judgement comes from bad experience, and that comes from bad
judgement

see my pond at:

http://www.fuerjefe.com

Old 21-05-2003, 04:08 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Well now we know why your salt tester isn't working correctly. It hit its
expiration date a year ago in March. ~ jan

Old 21-05-2003, 05:32 AM
Nedra

muffin, see if you can return the salt tester. Expired
THREE years ago. That is Not good.

Nedra

Old 21-05-2003, 06:32 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

Actually on the Aquarium Pharmaceutical test kits the date is the date of
manufacture, not expiration. They are suppose to be good for 2 years after
that date, though most experts recommend getting new tests every year.

Only reliable way I have found to get fresh kits is to order them via the
internet and write a note in the comment section, "Do not send me kits that
are close to expiration." That worked, because early this spring the club
ordered in a bunch of kits from the same place without the comment and got
dates that were only a couple of months fresher than mine order over a year
ago. These vendors have got to wise up, I've even heard (a rumor) the
vendors are putting pressure on the makers to quit putting dates on things.
Can you imagine the horror of that? Not knowing if your test is reading at
all correctly and not knowing how to make a stock solution to even check?
It's not easy to make a solution either. Even after the KHA training I
still had my DH the chemist make the standard solutions so we could check
our tests. ~ jan

"John Rutz" wrote in message

*muffin* wrote:
[...]

testing salt [email protected] Ponds (moderated) 4 25-04-2009 07:36 PM
pH testing kit Persephone Gardening 5 29-07-2007 11:22 PM
pH testing kit Persephone Gardening 0 26-07-2007 05:18 PM
Tis better to be Gills "Chew Toy" than one of Roy "Tristain" Hauer's "SOCKS" Tristan Ponds 0 03-01-2007 02:39 PM
Rock Salt vs Pond Salt itten Ponds 1 18-05-2003 01:20 PM