Old 04-05-2009, 01:03 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Pond Supplies

It is that time of year... when ponders need to order feed, meds,
chemicals, etc.

I need dechlor. in the crystal form. I usually buy 5 lbs at a time, thus
whomever I purchased it from before has long been forgotten. Anyone do a
recent shopping best-buy search for similar?

I used Pond Pets for Prazi, as it was best priced for the size. Only thing
I didn't like was their shopping calculator, as I ended up placing the
order without knowing the shipping. Don't like that. They were very great
though when I contacted them via E-mail.

I'll probably use Western Pond again for my Sho Koi & Sho Gold koi food as
they have free shipping over $60 and I can easily meet that.

Another product I use is Koi Zyme. Anyone do a best buy for that and order
it yet? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 06-05-2009, 02:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Jan,

I didn't know that you could get dechlor in powdered form. What is it
called?

Jim

Old 06-05-2009, 04:05 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

If you put granulated sugar into a blender you will get powdered sugar.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:06 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article
,
Jim and Phyllis wrote:

Jan,

I didn't know that you could get dechlor in powdered form. What is it
called?

Jim

I buy those dechlorinating cartridges that screw on to the end of the
garden hose. $30 each, I think. I get a year or so out of regular use
with each one for my 1000 gal pond. Much cheaper and easier to use.

Someone up here suggested it.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Interesting about the cartridge. We have only chlorine in the water
and we have a toilet valve to regulate filling. It adds an inch to an
inch and a half at a time, so we just ignore it and let the pond
handle the chlorine. No cost...probably not as good for the fish.

Jim

Old 07-05-2009, 03:01 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Jan,
I didn't know that you could get dechlor in powdered form. What is it
called?
Jim

Chloram-X (dechlor with ammonia binder) is powder, but the dechlor I've
been using is small crystals, like big sugar granules. For the life of me I
can't remember the chemical name.

Kurt, your cartridge cost $30/year?! 5 lbs of dechlor costs about the same
w/shipping and last my 1500 pond (water change weekly) and 1000 lily pond
(water change bi-monthly), 6 aquariums plus various small stock tanks and
pools outside 5-7 years. I've purchased 2, 5 lbs containers since 1995 and
I still have a pound left. It has been going faster since water change
suggestions were increased on the koi pond. ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 08-05-2009, 06:26 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
~ jan wrote:

[...]

This just makes it so easy. Just screw on the end of the hose when I
fill or change the water.

See that now not many have them

http://waterfiltersforless.com/catal...roducts_id=231

I got mine a few years back cheaper.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:26 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
~ jan wrote:

[...]

Even better:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...or-water-filte
r/7225

Old 09-05-2009, 03:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

sodium thiosulfate.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:42 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

it says "reduce" not remove chlorine.

Old 09-05-2009, 07:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"The following stock solution of Sodium Thiosulfate does not treat for
Chloramine, only Chlorine."

http://secure.sciencecompany.com/Sod...P6376C670.aspx

Most of us wouldn't be interested in purchasing this because it takes
so little for the amount of water we treat, but there have been big
pond posters here in the past that used it. Check the directions on
how to mix this 500g (approx 1 lb) container from the above site. It
mixes to a one gallon stock mix, used at 2 drops per gallon of water,
which treats 37,850 gallons. I have an 8 oz bottle of something to
dechlorinate with that I picked up from Pet Smart a little over a year
ago and haven't used all of it yet. That translates into a 16 year
supply for me, but you guys might have to reorder sooner.

Thanks for the chemical name Ingrid! CRS occurs on the East coast
too. I'll never use it, but I did write it down this time.
Hal

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...er-filter/7225

Old 10-05-2009, 12:07 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 9 May 2009 10:41:41 EDT, wrote:

sodium thiosulfate.

Excellent, thanks. Looks like Aquatic Eco-systems may be the best buy for
4#, just need to check for other supplies and see how much shipping might
be. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us

Old 10-05-2009, 02:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

thats where I get mine from. Ingrid

Old 10-05-2009, 02:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

they are wrong. sodium thiosulfate breaks down chloramine. however resid
ual ammonia
is left which needs to be removed by biofilters

"Sodium Thiosulphate - inorganic sodium thiosulphate is incredibly inexpe
nsive and
fast working. It is added to the chloramine containing water. The thiosul
phate
destroys the chloramine molecule and also effectively neutralise chlorine
,
unfortunately the resulting ammonia still needs to be dealt with if your
tank is
running at a very high pH. In a discus tank of pH of 6 this ammonia would
be
converted to the much less toxic ammonium and would over time be consumed
by the
filter bacteria etc.

S2O3 + NH2Cl + H2O ® SO4 + H+ + HCl + NH3

Old 10-05-2009, 07:04 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

In article ,
wrote:

it says "reduce" not remove chlorine.

On Fri, 8 May 2009 01:26:17 EDT, Kurt wrote:

Even better:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...or-water-filte
r/7225

This is where i bought mine:

http://www.pondbiz.com/home/pb1/page_16

Packaging I have says "Chlorine Eliminator", but see that website says,
"Systems IV garden hose water filter works great to minimize impurities,
chlorine and chlorimine in tap water".

Has worked great for me. and fish are thriving and healthy.

Rate This Thread: