Old 21-09-2009, 02:56 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Great Blue Heron

Has any one been able to successfully get rid of a great blue heron?

Old 22-09-2009, 05:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 20 Sep 2009 21:56:59 EDT, "Dan Spalluto"
wrote:

Has any one been able to successfully get rid of a great blue heron?

Successfully or legally? What is successful in one place may be
illegal in another.

Old 22-09-2009, 05:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Has any one been able to successfully get rid of a great blue heron?

Posted by me for Kathy due to (Google's) posting problems:

There are a couple of methods to try with herons.
Much of your success will depend on how your yard
is set up, how your pond is configured and the particular
heron who visits you.

- electric shock pet fencing
- motion activated sprinkler(s)
- fishing line strung around the pond
- netting the pond
- decoy fish
- black pipe or commercial Koi Kastle at the bottom of the pond.
- decoy heron

You may have to try a couple or a combination. Start with the
cheapest first.

kathy :-)

Old 23-09-2009, 01:00 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I've been visited by a heron before. You can probably find that
post/discussion here if you search. Netting seems to work and having a pond
that's not heron friendly. My pond doesn't have any shelves. It's an abrupt
drop off to 2 feet. Of course this hasn't stopped a GBH from dropping by for
a visit. Running out the back door wildly flapping your arms seems to get
their attention.

Old 24-09-2009, 11:23 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Dan Spalluto" wrote in message
news
Has any one been able to successfully get rid of a great blue heron?

==================
Nets. We used the fine black bird netting from ACE Hardware.
They last several years and keep everything but small frogs and
snakes out of the pond.

--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 24-09-2009, 11:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

Has any one been able to successfully get rid of a great blue heron?

Successfully or legally? What is successful in one place may be
illegal in another.

======================
Herons are protected in all states. You can get a hefty fine
for killing them.

--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

What has works for me:

Motion sprinkler
Hot wire
Short plastic chain fence in area where heron could walk in
Fake fish on fishing line
Shiny flashy mobiles and wind socks overhanging the ponds
Fishing line spaced 6-8 feet apart above from top of fence to bottom of 2nd
story deck with mylar ribbon between.

I use all of the above and I've only seen herons land on my roof and the
neighbors but never pond side to my knowledge.

As far as the hot wire, it is more so for the raccoons than herons. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 13-10-2009, 03:55 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

JB wrote:
What, no "No Heron's Allowed" signs posted?! ;-)

That would be Species discrimination. I think there is a law against that.

Chip

Old 15-10-2009, 01:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 20:51:48 EDT, "JB" wrote:

What, no "No Heron's Allowed" signs posted?! ;-)

Good idea, they'd probably die LOL! ;-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 16-10-2009, 01:31 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
What has works for me:

Motion sprinkler
Hot wire
Short plastic chain fence in area where heron could walk in
Fake fish on fishing line
Shiny flashy mobiles and wind socks overhanging the ponds
Fishing line spaced 6-8 feet apart above from top of fence to bottom of
2nd
story deck with mylar ribbon between.

I use all of the above and I've only seen herons land on my roof and the
neighbors but never pond side to my knowledge.

As far as the hot wire, it is more so for the raccoons than herons. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

=====================

Whatever works. With the fish gone, I don't have to worry about
herons anymore. :-)

--
If you're a past or present resident of

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Great Blue Heron - How Big of Fish Will They Eat? JB[_1_] Ponds (moderated) 44 27-12-2007 01:53 AM
Great Blue Heron Carolyn Ponds 9 13-09-2004 02:33 PM
Great Blue Heron Carolyn Ponds 0 11-09-2004 01:45 PM
Great Blue Heron Carolyn Ponds 0 11-09-2004 01:45 PM
Help! Blue Heron eating all of my fish! Lisa Ponds 2 01-07-2004 07:02 PM