Old 11-09-2004, 01:45 PM
Carolyn

Default Great Blue Heron

Beautiful bird! But not in my backyard!! Looks like all my fish are still
there from what I can tell, but they sure were spooked. Usually they will
come right up to my voice, but I didn't see any fish at first. I thought,
"OH NO!, it got them all!!!" Phew, close call, putting up fishing line now.

Carolyn

Old 11-09-2004, 06:27 PM
Phisherman

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 08:45:20 -0400, "Carolyn"
wrote:

Beautiful bird! But not in my backyard!! Looks like all my fish are still
there from what I can tell, but they sure were spooked. Usually they will
come right up to my voice, but I didn't see any fish at first. I thought,
"OH NO!, it got them all!!!" Phew, close call, putting up fishing line now.

Carolyn

That heron will return, so be ready for him. I had heron problems and
more-or-less solved this by reconstructing my pond to have steep drop
offs and 4 foot deep water. Herons don't like that. Netting works
too.

Old 12-09-2004, 03:36 AM
Andrew Burgess

wrote:

Beautiful bird! But not in my backyard!! Looks like all my fish are still
there from what I can tell, but they sure were spooked. Usually they will
come right up to my voice, but I didn't see any fish at first. I thought,
"OH NO!, it got them all!!!" Phew, close call, putting up fishing line now.

Carolyn

That heron will return, so be ready for him. I had heron problems and
more-or-less solved this by reconstructing my pond to have steep drop
offs and 4 foot deep water. Herons don't like that.

Won't work. I've seen the film...the heron dashes up to the pond and
takes a fish near the surface, feet dry.

Netting works
too.

Old 12-09-2004, 02:29 PM
Carolyn

Actually, from my research, it looks more like a Little Blue Heron, but
according to the info, they don't hang around this area. I wonder if it
blew this way because of the hurricanes? I live in SW Ontario, near Lake
St. Clair.

Old 12-09-2004, 04:16 PM
Bill Stock

"Carolyn" wrote in message
Actually, from my research, it looks more like a Little Blue Heron, but
according to the info, they don't hang around this area. I wonder if it
blew this way because of the hurricanes? I live in SW Ontario, near Lake
St. Clair.

I've had them in the city (Toronto). It happened about this time last year,
perhaps they're migrating? It scooped the biggest GF and kept coming back
for more. We brought the rest inside for the winter.

Old 13-09-2004, 02:32 PM
Derek Broughton

Andrew Burgess wrote:

Phisherman writes:
That heron will return, so be ready for him. I had heron problems and
more-or-less solved this by reconstructing my pond to have steep drop
offs and 4 foot deep water. Herons don't like that.

Won't work. I've seen the film...the heron dashes up to the pond and
takes a fish near the surface, feet dry.

Yesterday we watched a heron fishing from a rock (in the harbour, not a fish
pond, thankfully). My wife commented that she hadn't seen that before, and
--
derek

Old 13-09-2004, 02:33 PM
Derek Broughton

Carolyn wrote:

Actually, from my research, it looks more like a Little Blue Heron, but
according to the info, they don't hang around this area. I wonder if it
blew this way because of the hurricanes? I live in SW Ontario, near Lake
St. Clair.

They don't "hang around" there, but they're not non-existent. I've seen one
or two.
--
derek

Great Blue Heron Dan Spalluto Ponds (moderated) 10 16-10-2009 01:31 PM
Great Blue Heron - How Big of Fish Will They Eat? JB[_1_] Ponds (moderated) 44 27-12-2007 01:53 AM
Great Blue Heron Carolyn Ponds 0 11-09-2004 01:45 PM
Great Blue Heron Carolyn Ponds 0 11-09-2004 01:45 PM
Help! Blue Heron eating all of my fish! Lisa Ponds 2 01-07-2004 07:02 PM