Old 01-08-2005, 11:45 PM
Craig Davis

Default Fish Identification

Year ago I purchased a house that had a 60 gallon outdoor pond at the entry.
The pond had seven gold and white fish with bodies from 2" to 5" long. The
very distinctive feature about these fish were their tails. The tails were
at little longer than their bodies and very sheer. They were well adapted
to pond life. I gradually lost the them to neighborhood cats. The largest
one lived seven years after I bought the house. I found him struggling in
the water with a slash down his side as I had one or two others. I have
tried to find them in a variety of pet stores and tropical fish places to on
avail. Can anybody help me identify these fish?

Old 01-08-2005, 11:56 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Craig Davis" wrote in message
Year ago I purchased a house that had a 60 gallon outdoor pond at the
entry. The pond had seven gold and white fish with bodies from 2" to 5"
long. The very distinctive feature about these fish were their tails.
The tails were at little longer than their bodies and very sheer. They
were well adapted to pond life. I gradually lost the them to neighborhood
cats. The largest one lived seven years after I bought the house. I
found him struggling in the water with a slash down his side as I had one
or two others. I have tried to find them in a variety of pet stores and
tropical fish places to on avail. Can anybody help me identify these
fish?

=================
Gold and white or reddish orange and white? You don't have any pictures?
Have you searched the koi and goldfish sites to see if you see anything
similar?
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 02-08-2005, 12:28 AM
Craig Davis

My wife says they were reddish-orange and white. I have not checked any web
sites. Could you recommend a few?
Thans.

Old 02-08-2005, 01:12 AM
axeman

"Craig Davis" wrote in message
Year ago I purchased a house that had a 60 gallon outdoor pond at the
entry. The pond had seven gold and white fish with bodies from 2" to 5"
long. The very distinctive feature about these fish were their tails.
The tails were at little longer than their bodies and very sheer. They
were well adapted to pond life. I gradually lost the them to neighborhood
cats. The largest one lived seven years after I bought the house. I
found him struggling in the water with a slash down his side as I had one
or two others. I have tried to find them in a variety of pet stores and
tropical fish places to on avail. Can anybody help me identify these
fish?

They could be goldfish with butterfly or veil tails.

Jacqui

Old 02-08-2005, 01:29 AM
RichToyBox

Look at the definition of sarassa comet at
http://www.ponddoc.com/WhatsUpDoc/Go...fishGuide.html
--
RichToyBox

Old 02-08-2005, 02:01 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Craig Davis" wrote in message
My wife says they were reddish-orange and white. I have not checked any
web sites. Could you recommend a few?
Thans.

==================
Not off hand. Try any search engine such as Google. They sound like
Sarassas to me. That's a common goldfish you should be able to locate
easily in any aquarium or pet store.

Old 02-08-2005, 03:45 AM
Craig Davis

I am familiar with the sarassa comet and they are very similar to the fish I
had except for the extra long tails and a slightly slimmer body...

Old 02-08-2005, 05:53 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Craig Davis" wrote in message
I am familiar with the sarassa comet and they are very similar to the fish
I had except for the extra long tails and a slightly slimmer body...

===================
It could be a variation. I have Shubunkins of two types. One is a longer
slender fish with long fins and the other is stubbier and has short fins.
I'm slowly culling out the short-fin type = yet both are Shubunkins.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:14 AM

In , on 08/01/05
at 06:28 PM, "Craig Davis" said:

My wife says they were reddish-orange and white. I have not checked any
web sites. Could you recommend a few?

Sounds like Sarassa comets (a variety of goldfish.)

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.14