Old 08-08-2005, 03:15 PM
Sam

Default How often do I need to feed fish?

I just sold my aquarium and I'm enjoying not having to feed the fish
2-3 times a day.
But now I'm planning a small raised pond (100gal) and I'm thinking I
will need to have a few fish to eat mosquito larvae and provide
entertainment (a couple of goldfish would be nice to look at). On the
other hand, I don't want to go back to daily feeding.
Anyone have reccomendations, as to what fish would be good for the
above purposes (especially mosquitoes) but that would require minimal
feeding? Is there something I can add (e.g. plants) that will provide
food?
If it matters, our winters are mild in central Texas, but we do have
long summers.
Thanks,
Sam

Old 08-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Sam" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just sold my aquarium and I'm enjoying not having to feed the fish
2-3 times a day.
But now I'm planning a small raised pond (100gal) and I'm thinking I
will need to have a few fish to eat mosquito larvae and provide
entertainment (a couple of goldfish would be nice to look at). On the
other hand, I don't want to go back to daily feeding.

## I seriously doubt a few goldfish would find enough insects to survive in
a 100 gal tank/pond. Healthy GF are fast growing heavy feeders and can get
12" long. I feed my GF twice a day in summer.

Anyone have reccomendations, as to what fish would be good for the
above purposes (especially mosquitoes) but that would require minimal
feeding? Is there something I can add (e.g. plants) that will provide
food?

## If you don't want to be bothered feeding them, how are you going to
manage cleaning the filter etc?

--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 08-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Sam

Yeah, I thought goldfish might be more high maintenance.

I know there will be maintenance involved. How frequent, I don't know,
but I figure a once-a-week checkout and cleaning or changing water (I
plan to add a float valve to supply fresh well water, but I know
evaporation concentrates minerals, etc.).

But if I can avoid the daily fish feeding it would be great. Just one
less thing to do in my hectic life. So maybe a couple of smaller fish?
I'll check with a local pond supply. know there are small ones that
love mosquito larvae. And we have plenty of bugs out here in the
country.

Old 08-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Charles

On 8 Aug 2005 07:15:25 -0700, "Sam" wrote:

I just sold my aquarium and I'm enjoying not having to feed the fish
2-3 times a day.
But now I'm planning a small raised pond (100gal) and I'm thinking I
will need to have a few fish to eat mosquito larvae and provide
entertainment (a couple of goldfish would be nice to look at). On the
other hand, I don't want to go back to daily feeding.
Anyone have reccomendations, as to what fish would be good for the
above purposes (especially mosquitoes) but that would require minimal
feeding? Is there something I can add (e.g. plants) that will provide
food?
If it matters, our winters are mild in central Texas, but we do have
long summers.
Thanks,
Sam

I let mine go two years without feeding once. Nothing bad happened.

But, if you don't want to spend time with the pond, why have one?

Old 08-08-2005, 10:23 PM
Registered User

Location: UK

To avoid filter maintenence simply use a skippy filter which is designed to not be cleaned. adda UV filtwer to kill algae

As for food stock your pond with plenty of plants and give about 60 - 70% surface coverage with plants. Plenty of oxygenator plants. A few goldfish will survive happily on that.

Thanks,

Daniel
__________________
Obsessive ponder,

Happy Ponding fellow ponders

Old 08-08-2005, 10:44 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Sam" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yeah, I thought goldfish might be more high maintenance.

## A half dozen rosy reds may be a better choice. Even those need some
extra food to thrive.

I know there will be maintenance involved. How frequent, I don't know,
but I figure a once-a-week checkout and cleaning or changing water (I
plan to add a float valve to supply fresh well water, but I know
evaporation concentrates minerals, etc.).

## You may bypass fish altogether. You wouldn't need a filter to mess
with. Just to partial water changes or top-offs. It would be the least
work.

But if I can avoid the daily fish feeding it would be great. Just one
less thing to do in my hectic life. So maybe a couple of smaller fish?
I'll check with a local pond supply. know there are small ones that
love mosquito larvae. And we have plenty of bugs out here in the
country.

## I think all fish love mosquito larvae but you would need abnormal
amounts to keep even one goldfish or a pair of rosy reds healthy. You would
also need STILL water to attract the mosquitoes - which is bad for the fish.
If I were you I would go with no fish and some mosquito dunks.

Old 08-08-2005, 10:47 PM
Elaine T

Sam wrote:
Yeah, I thought goldfish might be more high maintenance.

I know there will be maintenance involved. How frequent, I don't know,
but I figure a once-a-week checkout and cleaning or changing water (I
plan to add a float valve to supply fresh well water, but I know
evaporation concentrates minerals, etc.).

But if I can avoid the daily fish feeding it would be great. Just one
less thing to do in my hectic life. So maybe a couple of smaller fish?
I'll check with a local pond supply. know there are small ones that
love mosquito larvae. And we have plenty of bugs out here in the
country.

Gambusia (aka mosquito fish) should work. The only downer is that
they're dark colored so you won't see them much. I have a couple of
gambusia in with a goldfish in one of the half-barrels of my pond. The
goldfish immediately grabs the floating pellets I feed, so the gambusia
must be finding other food. They've been in there since March and I
still catch an occasional glimpse.

If you want other small fish that are more visible and could possibly
live by foraging, consider rosy red minnows or gold white clouds.
Regular white clouds aren't very visible from above but the gold ones
look really nice.

--
Elaine T __
http://eethomp.com/fish.html '__
Old 08-08-2005, 10:54 PM
Gail Futoran

"Reel Mckoi" wrote in message

"Sam" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yeah, I thought goldfish might be more high maintenance.

## A half dozen rosy reds may be a better choice. Even those need some
extra food to thrive.

I have Rosy reds in two of my "ponds", both
unfiltered but with lots of plants. They seem to
do fine. I do feed them on occasion but no more
than a few times per week. I use regular goldfish/
koi food and also give them whole wheat bread.

I know there will be maintenance involved. How frequent, I don't know,
but I figure a once-a-week checkout and cleaning or changing water (I
plan to add a float valve to supply fresh well water, but I know
evaporation concentrates minerals, etc.).

## You may bypass fish altogether. You wouldn't need a filter to mess
with. Just to partial water changes or top-offs. It would be the least
work.

As I noted above, my minnow ponds have no filter
other than a bunch of plants. I live in southcentral
TX and find shade is critical, especially during the
afternoons. It helps keep down the algae.

But if I can avoid the daily fish feeding it would be great. Just one
less thing to do in my hectic life. So maybe a couple of smaller fish?
I'll check with a local pond supply. know there are small ones that
love mosquito larvae. And we have plenty of bugs out here in the
country.

## I think all fish love mosquito larvae but you would need abnormal
amounts to keep even one goldfish or a pair of rosy reds healthy. You
would also need STILL water to attract the mosquitoes - which is bad for
the fish. If I were you I would go with no fish and some mosquito dunks.
--
McKoi.... the frugal ponder...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 09-08-2005, 12:05 AM
Phyllis and Jim Hurley

Fish can go a long time without food. Too many can lead to hunger. You
would see that. Goldfish will eat bugs and a lot of plants as well. If
you are feeding them regularly, don't give a second thought to skipping
days or even a few weeks. Ours have never blinked about a 10-21 day
absence on our part. The koi eat plants, algae and small fish. The
gambusia eat their babies and one another. Deaths would become food.
Our two (2!) gambusia are now the ancestors of thousands.

Don't sweat skipping food.

Jim

Old 09-08-2005, 12:56 AM
John Bachman

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 16:44:26 -0500, "Reel Mckoi"
wrote:

"Sam" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Cripes, I feed my fish every now and then, certainly not every day.
Maybe that is why they come to the surface when they see me and
scream, "Feed me, feed me."

I figure that they are there to entertain me, not the other way
around.

John

Old 09-08-2005, 02:39 AM
Reel Mckoi

"Gail Futoran" wrote in message
"Reel Mckoi" wrote in message

"Sam" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yeah, I thought goldfish might be more high maintenance.

## A half dozen rosy reds may be a better choice. Even those need some
extra food to thrive.

I have Rosy reds in two of my "ponds", both
unfiltered but with lots of plants. They seem to
do fine. I do feed them on occasion but no more
than a few times per week. I use regular goldfish/
koi food and also give them whole wheat bread.

## I believe the size of the pond is what matters the most where the
question of feeding comes in. A huge pond with only a few small fish - the
fish would probably not need to be fed. But most of us have either a small
pond, or we have a good fish load in our bigger ponds. This means feeding
as you said, at least a few times a week. If there's turbulence in a pond
mosquitoes wouldn't be interested in laying their eggs there. And as for
feeding on their larvae; I believe the fish would eat the egg-raft before
they ever got to hatch.

## You may bypass fish altogether. You wouldn't need a filter to mess
with. Just to partial water changes or top-offs. It would be the least
work.

As I noted above, my minnow ponds have no filter
other than a bunch of plants. I live in southcentral
TX and find shade is critical, especially during the
afternoons. It helps keep down the algae.

## It also keeps the water from overheating. It's pretty darn sunny and hot
here in middle TN as well. Even with my small breeding pools I get algae
with half of the pool covered. The plants do fine nonetheless.

Old 09-08-2005, 02:41 AM
Reel Mckoi

wrote:
## I think all fish love mosquito larvae but you would need abnormal
amounts to keep even one goldfish or a pair of rosy reds healthy. You
would
also need STILL water to attract the mosquitoes - which is bad for the
fish.
If I were you I would go with no fish and some mosquito dunks.

Cripes, I feed my fish every now and then, certainly not every day.
Maybe that is why they come to the surface when they see me and
scream, "Feed me, feed me."

## Even being fed twice a day they come to the surface and act like they're
starving to death. :-) I'm probably at maximum capacity so have to feed
them. They'd starve to death on the few bugs that fall in......

I figure that they are there to entertain me, not the other way
around.

## Some people, such as myself, get great pleasure out of feeding them.
That's part of the entertainment.

Old 09-08-2005, 05:52 PM
Sam

Thanks for all ther replies and info!
Maybe I don't need fish. Ironically, my raised pond will be suplied by
a big ceramic fish spout on the adjacent retaining wall. I'll start
out without fish but will add some evnetually.

As to the skippy filter, it would need to be hidden to keep the upscale
aesthetics of the courtyard it will be in. I may be able to conceal it
behind the stone retaining wall and have it supply the fish spout. Or
maybe hidden behind a waterfall up the hillside (which I want to add
eventually).
Sam