Old 17-08-2005, 09:53 PM
Steve

Default Pond electrics

Hi,
I recently purchased an all-in-one fountain, filter, pump and light. I
asked if I needed a Residual Circuit Breaker but was told that most modern
electrical systems will trip in the event of a problem.

Also, with or without the RCB, is it best practice to wire this to an
always-on spur or just plug them into the nearest socket?

Many thanks,

Steve

Old 17-08-2005, 10:00 PM
Charles

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:53:59 GMT, "Steve" wrote:

Hi,
I recently purchased an all-in-one fountain, filter, pump and light. I
asked if I needed a Residual Circuit Breaker but was told that most modern
electrical systems will trip in the event of a problem.

Also, with or without the RCB, is it best practice to wire this to an
always-on spur or just plug them into the nearest socket?

Many thanks,

Steve

Want to gamble with your life.

Although I do it, I don't recommend it.

You can get a GFCI outlet for not much money, have it instakked or
install it yourself, and be a lot safer.
Old 18-08-2005, 12:06 AM
Roy

Not to sound harsh, buty if you have to ask these questions I would
think its best to hire a qualified electrican to do whats necessary.
Not many folks get a sceond chance when dealing with water and
electricty.
On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 21:00:24 GMT, Charles
wrote:

===On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:53:59 GMT, "Steve" wrote:
===
[...]

"The original frugal ponder"
Old 18-08-2005, 01:29 PM
Derek Broughton

Roy wrote:

Not to sound harsh, buty if you have to ask these questions I would
think its best to hire a qualified electrican to do whats necessary.
Not many folks get a sceond chance when dealing with water and
electricty.

Plus, given his wording, he's probably dealing with 240V - twice the chance
of a painful ending :-)

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 20:53:59 GMT, "Steve" wrote:

I recently purchased an all-in-one fountain, filter, pump and light.
I asked if I needed a Residual Circuit Breaker but was told that
most modern electrical systems will trip in the event of a problem.

That's pure BS, unless it's standard practice to put RCB/GFCI breakers in
panels in your location. Most modern systems will trip if there's a short
- but after letting fatal quantities of electricity pass to ground (earth)
through your body.

Yes, you need an RCB, and you should get it done by an electrician.
--
derek
Old 18-08-2005, 03:29 PM
Paul

Derek Broughton wrote:
Roy wrote:

[...]

Modern uk electrical installation have a RCD built into the consumer
unit. But I would still have a dedicated one to a garden supply.

Paul