Old 16-09-2008, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default electrics to greenhouse

Can i just confirm with anyone that i would need to get a NICEIC
electrician to put in a wire/socket to new greenhouse about 15 feet from
back of utility room? I already have it supplied to old greenhouse base
but new one will be 4 feet over and anyway i put the old stuff in with a
3 foot deep trench etc.

I contacted 2 electricians and they don't know whether |I need the new
certificate thingy if it's just for that.
On the other hand i suppose i could just yank it all out if i had to ell
the house?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 16-09-2008, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet Tweedy writes:

| Can i just confirm with anyone that i would need to get a NICEIC
| electrician to put in a wire/socket to new greenhouse about 15 feet from
| back of utility room? I already have it supplied to old greenhouse base
| but new one will be 4 feet over and anyway i put the old stuff in with a
| 3 foot deep trench etc.

Yes, you do. The way to get around that is to run it off a plug,
which plugs into a socket in your last 'approved' location. It
can then be disconnected just by switching off and unplugging,
and is no longer part of the older building's wiring.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 16-09-2008, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Janet Tweedy writes:

| Can i just confirm with anyone that i would need to get a NICEIC
| electrician to put in a wire/socket to new greenhouse about 15 feet
from
| back of utility room? I already have it supplied to old greenhouse base
| but new one will be 4 feet over and anyway i put the old stuff in with
| 3 foot deep trench etc.

Yes, you do. The way to get around that is to run it off a plug,
which plugs into a socket in your last 'approved' location. It
can then be disconnected just by switching off and unplugging,
and is no longer part of the older building's wiring.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Which is what I intend to do to get Electrics to the Garage and Greenhouse

Mike

Old 16-09-2008, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy writes:

| Can i just confirm with anyone that i would need to get a NICEIC
| electrician to put in a wire/socket to new greenhouse about 15 feet
from
| back of utility room? I already have it supplied to old greenhouse base
| but new one will be 4 feet over and anyway i put the old stuff in with
| 3 foot deep trench etc.

Yes, you do. The way to get around that is to run it off a plug,
which plugs into a socket in your last 'approved' location. It
can then be disconnected just by switching off and unplugging,
and is no longer part of the older building's wiring.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Which is what I intend to do to get Electrics to the Garage and Greenhouse

Which is very stupid really isn't it! Do a the job a more dangerous
way and you don't (officially) need a load of paperwork.

If you (or a friend) feel confident to do it safely yourself then just
do it, no one is going to know whether it should or shouldn't have
'Part P' paperwork. In reality Part P is a complete waste of time and
charade, it's pointless and unenforceable.

--
Chris Green
Old 16-09-2008, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Janet Tweedy contains these words:

Can i just confirm with anyone that i would need to get a NICEIC
electrician to put in a wire/socket to new greenhouse about 15 feet from
back of utility room?

I think so, and it should be done with underground armoured cable.

I already have it supplied to old greenhouse base
but new one will be 4 feet over and anyway i put the old stuff in with a
3 foot deep trench etc.

Well, four feet is not very far for a cable.

I contacted 2 electricians and they don't know whether |I need the new
certificate thingy if it's just for that.
On the other hand i suppose i could just yank it all out if i had to ell
the house?

What the eye doesn't see...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 16-09-2008, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Janet Tweedy writes:

| Can i just confirm with anyone that i would need to get a NICEIC
| electrician to put in a wire/socket to new greenhouse about 15 feet from
| back of utility room? I already have it supplied to old greenhouse base
| but new one will be 4 feet over and anyway i put the old stuff in with a
| 3 foot deep trench etc.

Yes, you do. The way to get around that is to run it off a plug,
which plugs into a socket in your last 'approved' location. It
can then be disconnected just by switching off and unplugging,
and is no longer part of the older building's wiring.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Oh goody, that'll save me money. Thanks Nick

Old 16-09-2008, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
Can i just confirm with anyone that i would need to get a NICEIC
electrician to put in a wire/socket to new greenhouse about 15 feet
from back of utility room? I already have it supplied to old greenhouse
base but new one will be 4 feet over and anyway i put the old stuff in
with a 3 foot deep trench etc.

I contacted 2 electricians and they don't know whether |I need the new
certificate thingy if it's just for that.
On the other hand i suppose i could just yank it all out if i had to
ell the house?
Janet

There is only one safe way to do it. Get a qualified electrician
to lay a preferably armoured cable, that's what I did for an 8ft run to
my garage. It doesn't need to be 3ft deep, but I covered the cable
with small hardcore, then a couple of inches of concrete which a spade
or fork will not penetrate!
I 'made do' with a piece of flex from a plug in the kitchen for years,
but regulations are tighter now, and I felt much more comfortable after
the job was done properly.

Insurance companies are clever at finding ways to avoid a payout.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 16-09-2008, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote ...

| Which is very stupid really isn't it! Do a the job a more dangerous
| way and you don't (officially) need a load of paperwork.

That;s bureaucracy for you! But you can still do it safely, and
then plug the circuit in.

| If you (or a friend) feel confident to do it safely yourself then just
| do it, no one is going to know whether it should or shouldn't have
| 'Part P' paperwork. In reality Part P is a complete waste of time and
| charade, it's pointless and unenforceable.

Until you have a fire or come to sell the house.

The suggestion I was given by a builder friend was to do the job properly
but get some older wire and use that as the post "Part P" stuff is marked.
That way nobody will know when the new wiring was done and will assume pre
"Part P" so there will be no difficult questions.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 16-09-2008, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

"Nick Maclaren" wrote ...

| Which is very stupid really isn't it! Do a the job a more dangerous
| way and you don't (officially) need a load of paperwork.

That;s bureaucracy for you! But you can still do it safely, and
then plug the circuit in.

| If you (or a friend) feel confident to do it safely yourself then just
| do it, no one is going to know whether it should or shouldn't have
| 'Part P' paperwork. In reality Part P is a complete waste of time and
| charade, it's pointless and unenforceable.

Until you have a fire or come to sell the house.

The suggestion I was given by a builder friend was to do the job properly
but get some older wire and use that as the post "Part P" stuff is marked.
That way nobody will know when the new wiring was done and will assume pre
"Part P" so there will be no difficult questions.

This is a fallacy, "Part P" stuff is not marked. The change from
red/black to brown/blue was *not* at the same time as Part P was
introduced and anyway both colours were allowed for quite some time.

--
Chris Green
Old 16-09-2008, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gordon H wrote:
In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
[...]

Exactly, do the job properly, whether you then get the paperwork or
not seems decidedly less important.

--
Chris Green
Old 16-09-2008, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gordon H wrote:
In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
[...]

And therein lies the problem with part P, you can legally run a plug in
extension from wherever to wherever but if you want a legal job done you
have to pay through the nose and jump through hoops.
Don't always trust a qualified electrician to do a decent job, the good
thing about doing it yourself is that you are less concerned with the
economics of getting it finished and making a profit but just want to do
it properly, mind you the caveat is if in doubt and don't have the
knowledge don't even attempt it.

--
Corporal Jones
"I don't like it up me"
Old 16-09-2008, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Gordon H wrote:
snippy
There is only one safe way to do it. Get a qualified electrician
to lay a preferably armoured cable, that's what I did for an 8ft run
to my garage. It doesn't need to be 3ft deep, but I covered the
cable with small hardcore, then a couple of inches of concrete which
a spade or fork will not penetrate!

snippy

May I suggest you run the armoured cable through something like inch & a
half waste pipe, so cable can be withdrawn if needed,
--
Pete C
London UK

quick pond enquiry re electrics Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 9 29-01-2007 08:01 AM
Pond electrics Steve Ponds 4 18-08-2005 03:29 PM
Pond Electrics Question Will James Ponds 11 04-08-2005 08:12 AM
greenhouse frogs Dave Lockwood Orchids 4 01-04-2003 05:20 PM
Central Illinois Retail Greenhouse, Garden Center, and Nursery Business - For Sale by Owner Eades Greenhouse and Nursery Gardening 0 03-02-2003 09:15 PM