Old 13-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Andrew Burgess

Default Herons

Heron tips:
- put in an electric fido fence
- netting over the pond.
- a motion activated sprinkler
- a brick flue at the bottom of the pond
to give the fish a place to hide

Monofiliment fishing line every few feet. Birds hit it while
flying and get scared (they just don't seem to see it). This
is high in the air over the pond, very easy to miss asthetically.
I've been on pond tours and not seen it at all until someone points
it out. It can be three feet apart for large birds like herons and
you don't need a grid, just one direction, from what I've seen.

And no, they don't just fly around it. They panic. Its like (poetic license
here) bumping into a ghost...

Old 13-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Andrew Burgess wrote:
Heron tips:
- put in an electric fido fence
- netting over the pond.
- a motion activated sprinkler
- a brick flue at the bottom of the pond
to give the fish a place to hide

Monofiliment fishing line every few feet. Birds hit it while
flying and get scared (they just don't seem to see it). This
is high in the air over the pond, very easy to miss asthetically.
I've been on pond tours and not seen it at all until someone points
it out. It can be three feet apart for large birds like herons and
you don't need a grid, just one direction, from what I've seen.

And no, they don't just fly around it. They panic. Its like (poetic license
here) bumping into a ghost...

I tried that and the birds simply lifted his foot (very
gracefully) and stepped over the line.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 13-03-2003, 08:56 PM
~ jan

Monofiliment fishing line every few feet. Birds hit it while
flying and get scared (they just don't seem to see it). This
is high in the air over the pond, very easy to miss asthetically.
I've been on pond tours and not seen it at all until someone points
it out. It can be three feet apart for large birds like herons and
you don't need a grid, just one direction, from what I've seen.

And no, they don't just fly around it. They panic. Its like (poetic license
here) bumping into a ghost...

I tried that and the birds simply lifted his foot (very
gracefully) and stepped over the line.

Bonnie, either you've got some very long legged birds or you missed the
part above where he said "high in the air" over the pond. ;o) ~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 13-03-2003, 09:57 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

~ jan wrote:
[...]

Okay, I did miss that. I was putting the fishing line over
the raised pond and I was doing it quickly, it was only
about 1' above the raised pond. If I were to put it high
over the pond - the bird would have come in under the
fishing line. What would stop that? As I remember, the
heron landed in the back field and slowly walked up to the
fence, hopped onto it and then hopped down and walked to the
pond. I found netting was the only way to stop this bird
and it continued to try for quite awhile after the netting
was up.
--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 13-03-2003, 10:21 PM
K30a

The original poster said fishing line didn't work for his heron, but can't
remember if he said how it was placed.

The *All*Labrador*Alert* worked for our heron visitor.

It is 78.8 on my deck today, here in SE WA, and there is a dust storm blowing.
sheesh!

k30a

Old 14-03-2003, 12:57 AM
DesertPond

It didn't work when I placed it at about 15" above the ground around
the perimeter of the pond. Damn bird just nimbly walked around it.

Since my post I tried the fishing line in a grid pattern once around
the perimeter, 3 lines across, 3 lines length wise and 2 lines
criss-crossing the pond. The herons haven't been back in 2 days now.
:-)

I hate to say it but now that their gone I wish they'd come back at
least once more so I could at least get a pic of the large male, the
thing was a least twice the size of the female with a really massive
wing span. Looked like a friggin' teradactyl. lol