Old 05-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Loretta,Victoria, B.C.

Default HERONS/deer/small animals

I had my pond netted all winter and only removed the net on the 25th of May.
After a week of constantly being fished out by a Heron and losing all of my
prized fish (only some yearlings left) I finally found what I hope will be
the solution to Herons and other animals in and near my pond. I bought a
"Scarecrow" sprinkler. They are kind of expensive for just a sprinkler, but
if it works as well as it's supposed to - well heh, it's worth every penny!
It's unobtrusive and I don't have to look at an ugly net all summer. I
tried a battery operated electric fence but couldn't get it to work
properly. I am also hounded by those damn raccoons. (I feel like I live in
a zoo)

I have heard from people how well they scare the deer away. They eat all my
roses, so I bought one for the front yard too!! I have only heard positive
results about these units.

Have a look at: www.scatmat.com or www.scarecrowinfo.com

Their guarantee is that "If your scarecrow fails to meet your expectations
and does not repel the animal(s), return the scarecrow within 30 days to
your dealer for a FULL refund.

Anything is worth a try if it repels the animals without hurting them. Send
them to someone else's yard ;)

Loretta in Victoria

Old 05-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Heather

Hey Loretta,

You must have gotten the deer and racoons I scared away from my pond two
weeks ago with my Scarecrow!

I agree! A most amazing invention. So far no pond problems at all. Both
DH and I have got blasted when we forgot to turn it off. One night the
coons knocked over a pot of plants 6' away from the pond and overturned the
fish food tub but no sign of anything being touched in the pond itself which
is how we have the sprinkler set.

Some people suggest having two, with one at a 90 degree angle from the other
for better coverage. Also in case one battery dies, the other will probably
still be up and running. When I turn it on at night I always flash my hand
in front to activate and ensure battery is still good.

Heather in Woodstock, Ontario

Old 05-06-2003, 08:32 PM
James Williams

Hey Heather,

Have you tried flavoring your Scarecrow with SPAM? Many people say that
using SPAM can improve results tenfold overnight. Simply put a little SPAM
out every day, and you will be amazed at the results. What an improvement!

Try it today, I don't want to be the only one getting such great
results!

Fern, in Ferndonia

---

Old 05-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Loretta,Victoria, B.C.

"Heather" wrote in message
.. .
Hey Loretta,

You must have gotten the deer and racoons I scared away from my pond two

weeks ago with my Scarecrow!

Thanks a lot Heather - just what I needed. More of them I don't need!!
I keep my sprinkler on both day and night - days for the Herons and nights
for cats and raccoons. I now have a set pattern - when I go out the back I
turn off the tap (it's just outside my back door) and then turn off the
sensor. That way I don't get wet. Then turn it all back on when I go in
the house.

Some people suggest having two, with one at a 90 degree angle from the

other for better coverage.

Mine covers most of the pond as it shoots 35 ft. There is only a small spot
where the sprinkler is situated that isn't covered but they don't usually go
in that way. The second one is in the front protecting my roses from the
deer. So far, since installed, I haven't had any problems with animals. I
live about a mile away from the ocean and a Heron colony - so that's
probably why I get so many Herons. I must be on their flight path! They
see a good shushi bar down there. Only this restaurant is now closed! I
have to laugh at my cat - he now eyes all hoses with suspicion and
approaches with caution.

Loretta in Victoria

Old 05-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Heather

Ok - I'll bite...

What exactly do you mean by improving my results? I figure if there is no
damage being done to the pond and plants, that the results are good.

If I put out SPAM will I not encourage critters to come and eat the stuff?
and then they will get used to my sprinkler?

Please explain.

Thanks

m...

Old 05-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Thomas Ball

Lee Valley has their version for much cheaper!

www.leevalley.com

And they are in Canada!

Tom

"Loretta,Victoria, B.C." wrote in message
a...

.. .

Old 06-06-2003, 05:32 AM
Loretta,Victoria, B.C.

"Thomas Ball" wrote in message
Lee Valley has their version for much cheaper!

www.leevalley.com

And they are in Canada!

Tom

Thanks Tom. I was lucky. I bought mine at Canadian Tire and they were on
sale for $74.99. Leevalleys were $79.00 Canadian (which is a good price as
they are usually $119.00 here). But thanks anyway.

Loretta in Victoria

Old 14-06-2003, 09:20 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 22:18:18 GMT, "Thomas Ball"
wrote:

Lee Valley has their version for much cheaper!
www.leevalley.com
And they are in Canada!
Tom

Thanks Tom, $55 US and only $8 shipping, I haven't seen it any cheaper and
I want a 2nd one, for of all things, keeping Robins from pulling my ground
covers out of the cement blocks. Thanks again! ~ jan )

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 14-06-2003, 10:22 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

wrote:

Lee Valley has their version for much cheaper!
www.leevalley.com
And they are in Canada!
Tom

Thanks Tom, $55 US and only $8 shipping, I haven't seen it any cheaper and
I want a 2nd one, for of all things, keeping Robins from pulling my ground
covers out of the cement blocks. Thanks again! ~ jan )

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

I've been thinking of getting one. The only problem is that
the water normally is softened, unless I put it on by-pass.
If I need water during the day, I'd have to keep putting the
by-pass on and off. That would get tiring fast.

Would it be okay to have it operate with softened water?

The ground hog has started visiting the vf once again and I
think a Scare Crow would keep it away.

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old 14-06-2003, 10:56 PM
joe

Bonnie Espenshade wrote:

I've been thinking of getting one. The only problem is that
the water normally is softened, unless I put it on by-pass.
If I need water during the day, I'd have to keep putting the
by-pass on and off. That would get tiring fast.

Would it be okay to have it operate with softened water?

The ground hog has started visiting the vf once again and I
think a Scare Crow would keep it away.

Unless you have a constant attack by the evil heron, I don't think the brief
spurts of the scarecrow would create a problem for the water.

Joe

Old 14-06-2003, 11:08 PM
~ jan JJsPond.us

I agree w/Joe, the description claims it only sprinkles about 2 cups of
water per time. ~ jan

Old 15-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Bonnie Espenshade

Bonnie Espenshade wrote:

I've been thinking of getting one. The only problem is that
the water normally is softened, unless I put it on by-pass.
If I need water during the day, I'd have to keep putting the
by-pass on and off. That would get tiring fast.

Would it be okay to have it operate with softened water?

The ground hog has started visiting the vf once again and I
think a Scare Crow would keep it away.

Unless you have a constant attack by the evil heron, I don't think the brief
spurts of the scarecrow would create a problem for the water.

Joe

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Looks like I'll be placing an order soon.

--
Bonnie
NJ
http://home.earthlink.net/~maebe43/

using foraging animals as lawnmower substitutes; return to having animals around every home a_plutonium Plant Science 0 07-06-2007 07:28 AM
Lawn Ornaments/Cranes, Herons Barbara2245 Ponds 6 15-01-2004 03:22 PM
Speaking of Herons Priscilla McCullough Ponds 8 13-06-2003 08:08 PM
Herons Andrew Burgess Ponds 5 14-03-2003 12:57 AM
Ponds, Herons and Lil'uns Victoria Clare United Kingdom 13 28-01-2003 06:02 PM