Old 15-03-2003, 12:08 AM
jimmymac

Default I can't wait

It is March 14th in Northern Illinois, supposed to be 60 deg. this
weekend. The ice is almost off my pond, the water is about 42 deg.
+-. The water looks dirty, my four 8" Koi are still alive and looking
up at me. I have snuck them a little food the last few days.

IT IS MY FIRST SPRING....

I am dying to start up pumps and filter ... when should I?
Old 15-03-2003, 12:20 AM
RichToyBox

Start the pump and filter now. We should be beyond the really heavy
freezes, and the water in the pond will keep the pipes and pump from
freezing. The bacteria will start to grow, though ever so slowly.

Quit feeding the fish. They should not be fed until the water temperature
is consistently over 50, and can wait until the pond temperature hits 55.
The bacteria need an opportunity to grow to keep the ammonia and nitrItes
from getting out of hand. The fish don't digest the food at the lower
temperatures, and it can sit in their gut and rot. A sure way to kill the
fish.
--
RichToyBox

om...

Old 15-03-2003, 03:56 AM
MISSYMAGICGIRL

I am in Zone 6. When can I start to clean??

Sacha
Old 15-03-2003, 04:08 AM
LRobi31070

How warm does it have to be and for how long before the water reaches 55?
Old 15-03-2003, 08:15 AM
Nedra

Too many variables to tell you for sure. For example, where are
you located? How deep is your pond? What side of the house
is on pond on? Many many other things come in to play.
Example, my pond water is hovering around 55 degrees - -
but my fish are content to feed off the sides of the pond... algae
I suppose. I wont be feeding them for at least another month.
Try to get your impatience under control, Bud. You can only hurt
your fish by jumping the gun.

Nedera in Missouri