Old 14-09-2005, 06:05 PM
CanadianCowboyİ

Default FEEDER GOLDFISH

Hello all,

I bought feeder goldfish when I started my pond as a good beginner fish.

These fish were every conceivable colour but all under 2 inch in length.

Two years later some of these fish have grown to be a good 4 or 5 inches
long but some have only grown to less than 3 inches.

My question is, what kind of goldfish do I have that would grow over 4
inches. Could they be comets ?

Thanks
Old 14-09-2005, 07:11 PM
Reel Mckoi

"CanadianCowboyİ" wrote in message
Hello all,

I bought feeder goldfish when I started my pond as a good beginner fish.

These fish were every conceivable colour but all under 2 inch in length.

Two years later some of these fish have grown to be a good 4 or 5 inches
long but some have only grown to less than 3 inches.

My question is, what kind of goldfish do I have that would grow over 4
inches. Could they be comets ?

Thanks

=========================
There could be several reasons they haven't grown to 10 or 12" long. The
quality of the water, the amount and the quality of the food you feed them -
and how often you feed them. How good your filtration system is and how
many gallons per fish is in your pond. If you give us more information on
these things we can better answer your questions.
--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 14-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Gail Futoran

"CanadianCowboyİ" wrote in message
Hello all,

I bought feeder goldfish when I started my pond as a good beginner fish.

These fish were every conceivable colour but all under 2 inch in length.

Two years later some of these fish have grown to be a good 4 or 5 inches
long but some have only grown to less than 3 inches.

My question is, what kind of goldfish do I have that would grow over 4
inches. Could they be comets ?

Thanks

Common goldfish can grow to over 12",
given spacious surroundings. Comets
tend to be a bit smaller but still can reach
7-10". Shubunkin tend to be smaller
still, reaching a maximum of about 6".

You might also have koi. Several of my
earlier "goldfish" turned out to be
butterfly koi. It's hard to tell among the
various types when they're small.

Gail

Old 14-09-2005, 09:41 PM
Kathy

"CanadianCowboyİ" wrote in message
Hello all,

I bought feeder goldfish when I started my pond as a good beginner fish.

These fish were every conceivable colour but all under 2 inch in length.

Two years later some of these fish have grown to be a good 4 or 5 inches
long but some have only grown to less than 3 inches.

My question is, what kind of goldfish do I have that would grow over 4
inches. Could they be comets ?

Thanks

Many common goldfish grow to 12 inches, if treated well. I have 7 that I got
as feeders, only a inch long about 5 years ago, and they are now 12inches
long. Their babies are about 6 inches long and they are only 3 years old.
Some of the size of the fish depends on the size of your pond. In the 150
gallon pond they are only 6 to 8 inches long, but in the 300 gallon pond
they got to 12 inches. So pond size has a lot to do with it. KathyAZ

Old 15-09-2005, 01:53 AM
CanadianCowboy

I feed the fish koi pellets but only once a day as many as they can eat
in 5 minutes. The pond is small at less than 500 Gallons with about 30
fish. I only have a small bio filter in the pond for filtration.

Old 15-09-2005, 04:05 AM
~Roy

Feeder GF could be just about any kind of gf....Just like in people
and in dogs etc, some get bigger than others some remain
small........as long as your water parameters are good, and they are
fed and maintained properly what you get is all up to momma nature in
regards to size...its in the genes........While I am not saying GF
feeders are junk, as they are not IMHO, as you can find sopme very
pretty fish in a tank of feeders...........but usually feeders are
started off to a bad way of life from the git go as they are usually
culls, and the supplier as well as the retailer conisder them food not
something one is oging to rasie, hence the price you pay for them...I
routinley buy 150 to 200 gf feeders, and get some very pretty fish,
some growe big others do not, and you can have a high mortaility rate
due to diseases they probably carried home from the sotre when you
bought them.........I would not worry about the size if your happy
with them and they are healthy.

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:05:21 GMT, CanadianCowboyİ
wrote:

===Hello all,
===
===I bought feeder goldfish when I started my pond as a good beginner fish.
===
===These fish were every conceivable colour but all under 2 inch in length.
===
===Two years later some of these fish have grown to be a good 4 or 5 inches
===long but some have only grown to less than 3 inches.
===
===My question is, what kind of goldfish do I have that would grow over 4
===inches. Could they be comets ?
===
===Thanks

"The original frugal ponder"