Old 24-09-2005, 10:32 PM
Bill Bunn

Default Box turtle in pond

This morning I was astonished to see a large box turtle in my pond. It was
floating OK, a good bit of shell above the water and it was moving
(swimming?) around the edge of the pond. We have had a long dry spell here
in Md. and a couple of days ago, this same turtle was in a tomato plant and
ate a tomato from my hand. It must have really needed water.
The thing that surprised me was, as a kid I remember putting a box turtle in
the creek and it sank to the bottom and walked along the bottom out of the
water.
So this one must be a light turtle?

Old 25-09-2005, 05:57 PM
Reel Mckoi

"Bill Bunn" wrote in message
This morning I was astonished to see a large box turtle in my pond. It was
floating OK, a good bit of shell above the water and it was moving
(swimming?) around the edge of the pond.

## Before netting our ponds we would occasionally find them in ours as well.
They'd soak for a day or two then climb out on a limestone rock ramp and
leave on their own.

We have had a long dry spell here
in Md. and a couple of days ago, this same turtle was in a tomato plant
and
ate a tomato from my hand. It must have really needed water.

## That's what it sounds like. Poor little guy....

--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

Old 25-09-2005, 09:54 PM

In , on 09/24/05
at 05:32 PM, "Bill Bunn" said:

This morning I was astonished to see a large box turtle in my pond. It
was floating OK, a good bit of shell above the water and it was moving
(swimming?) around the edge of the pond. We have had a long dry spell

Does it have a way out of your pond when it's ready to leave?

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.14

Old 26-09-2005, 09:17 PM
Bill Bunn

Does it have a way out of your pond when it's ready to leave?

No, I had 2 small red ear sliders in the pond and didn't want them to climb
out. However, the sliders disappeared after a close lightnin strike, so I
had better build a ramp. Also, years ago a baby rabbit fell and drowned,
more reason for a ramp.

Old 26-09-2005, 09:25 PM
San Diego Joe

"Bill Bunn" wrote:

Does it have a way out of your pond when it's ready to leave?

No, I had 2 small red ear sliders in the pond and didn't want them to climb
out. However, the sliders disappeared after a close lightnin strike, so I
had better build a ramp. Also, years ago a baby rabbit fell and drowned,
more reason for a ramp.

Just an FYI, but sliders need to be able to get out of the water to sun
themselves.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Had a Box turtle pop in for a visit! Gareee© Ponds (moderated) 8 04-09-2007 08:36 PM
Should Iallow a box turtle in the pond? Mike Patterson Ponds 16 17-05-2004 07:07 PM
Just Curious, O/T - Box Turtle diet laurie \(Mother Mastiff\) North Carolina 1 28-07-2003 11:03 PM
O/T - Box Turtle diet Bob Adkins Ponds 7 23-07-2003 06:42 PM
O/T - Box Turtle diet Anne Lurie North Carolina 2 23-07-2003 03:32 AM